Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 9, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #4,321 of 6,065
I read in april on this thread that the SP1000 doesn’t have a ‘true’ line out for the likes of the KSE1200. I think it was BFlat who said that. Is this the case for the SP1000m too? I am looking to listen to the KSE1200 through the SP1000M and was wondering if lineout made a difference to sound quality.

Ultimately i’m trying to decide between the 1000m and the 1z. Tidal on AK and BT receive on Sony, and that’s without considering sound signatures...

Pretty certain the SP1000M like most AK players only has a fix volume output toggle (which they misleadingly label as "line out" mode). Out of the current players still being sold by AK only the KANN has true line out I believe.
Either way the "line out" mode on the AK players are fairly useless with the KSE1200 as the output voltage of the line out mode is preset too high even when used with the -10dB padding - with my AK70 using the line out button will result in clipping, so it's not a feature that should sway your purchase IMO.

Having said that from my experience when also looking at the SP1000M as a potential source to pair with the KSE1200 will get a bright on bright signature that has the tendency to make trebles sound harsh and fatiguing, so best to give it a go and see if that is the type of sound you want before you pull the trigger.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #4,322 of 6,065
I read in april on this thread that the SP1000 doesn’t have a ‘true’ line out for the likes of the KSE1200. I think it was BFlat who said that. Is this the case for the SP1000m too? .

Even though sp1k doesnt have true line out, it seems line out still be better in sq.
Example : in bal connect volume 138 will apprx 1.0 V
I connect Sp1k to Senn hdvd800 and listen on ibasso SR1 and continuos switch on/off line out mode.
More clarity with highs and solid bass on "line out", but it can be placebo effect. (Need to confirm by others)
Will it by pass digital volume mechanism or not, Idk

Sp1000 is not like ak70. Ak70 has one level out put while sp1000 has multiple level : 0.7V to 2V
Pitty, 0.5V is should fit to Kse1500 w/o clipping and w/o use of imput pad

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,324 of 6,065
Here is what I have experienced with "amber lights" on the KSE1200 amp and I think it is consistent with the manual:

Charging - when charging, the power light will be amber. When it is fully charged, it changes to green.

Input level - usually a steady green because that just indicates input is working. However, during very quiet passages in music, I've seen the green LED turn off momentarily. As for optimum peak voltage, that is harder to set unless you have a constant tone which gives you a steady voltage. You can also assume different albums and tracks have different volume levels which equate to different voltage levels. What I do is pick my "loudest" track - Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree, and dial up the output until I see solid red and back down from there. Here is what you want to look for:

Solid red most or all of the time - too high with obvious distortion so start dialing down.

Red occasionally - still too high, but distortion will not be so obvious so start dialing down, smaller increments.

Amber occasionally, but never red - that is what Shure is describing as "optimal". It should briefly flash amber during the loudest passages of the track you are playing. It's a little difficult to tell between amber and red because the led blinks momentarily. Also, your source output volume control has to be in at most 1 dB increments to get this level of finesse. .33 dB is even better for finessing.

Green always - this is the practical range as long as you get their by dialing down from red. Since your tracks are all going to vary in volume level, it is impractical to adjust 1-3 dB of input for every track so you get the amber led on every track. That is why it is only practical to pick your loudest recording and set "optimal" using that so you never see the red LED.

Lastly, what does "optimal" mean? For the KSE amp, it means the best output level measurements at a normal listening level. Since everyone's "normal" listening level is different, it's fools gold to try to give an exact optimal input level that matches to an exact optimal output level. Just avoid clipping (e.g. red) and you will be fine. This is all in the analog domain so there are no lost bits either.
THANK YOU Sir,
For your clear (and blessedly dumbed down for even theh simplest of minds i.e. mine) explanation of this vexing Chestnut with my new KSE1200s...

Talk about " the penny dropping".

I have no doubt the good people at Shure Applications and Technical support will not miss my calls or. this matter.

I have generally treated the Amber light like the yellow warning strip on the subway platform and you have helped me GREATLY in figuring out how to set that line..

You should send this post to the good people of Shure it is a far simpler and more exauhstive ...

FWIW I am seriously enjoying them with my Mojo...
As good as they are I await the aerivar Sensaphonics SCS ..

I have them with my 8s they truly are the High Performance Tire that get the most out of a High Performance Car.. or just comfortable and seal.. but I digress

Thank you again

Monty Burns

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #4,325 of 6,065
Does anyone know whether the KSE1200 sold in Japan is any different than those sold in USA?
Saw one in Tokyo, the outer box looks sealed and identical but ...

Thanks

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,326 of 6,065
Having said that from my experience when also looking at the SP1000M as a potential source to pair with the KSE1200 will get a bright on bright signature that has the tendency to make trebles sound harsh and fatiguing, so best to give it a go and see if that is the type of sound you want before you pull the trigger.

I disagree with this. I like the pairing of my KSE1500 and SP1000 SS. But of course, we each have our own opinions, and yours is as valid as mine.

I did find that the sound of this combo improved once my SP1000 was adequately burned in (50-100 hours) and with a good interconnect cable (the cable can certainly make a difference with respect to the trebles).

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #4,327 of 6,065
I disagree with this. I like the pairing of my KSE1500 and SP1000 SS. But of course, we each have our own opinions, and yours is as valid as mine.

I did find that the sound of this combo improved once my SP1000 was adequately burned in (50-100 hours) and with a good interconnect cable (the cable can certainly make a difference with respect to the trebles).

The poster asked about the SP1000M - which has a different signature than the SP1000 SS.

I've compared them bother before, the SP1000M is even more treble and speed emphasised than the SP1000SS.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #4,328 of 6,065

Yes, 8cm interconnect cable could change the sound.
I use silver interconnect and mod spinfit tip to maximize the crystal treble on the combo

P.S anyone jugde about difference in treble when use "LO" v.s variable volume on spk?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,330 of 6,065
After 1 year of using the 64Audio's U12T I gave a listening to my KSE1500, and.... WHAUUU I realized that during 1 year I forgot how good the SHURE is ! how much precise it is !

So, now I am using again the SHURE for the best .... :)

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #4,331 of 6,065
After 1 year of using the 64Audio's U12T I gave a listening to my KSE1500, and.... WHAUUU I realized that during 1 year I forgot how good the SHURE is ! how much precise it is !

But isn't 64Audio's sound more 'out of the head' than Shure's?
Vocals a tad recessed between the ears vs. a few inches in front with 64Audio, perhaps?

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,332 of 6,065

Interesting. I have a set of 846's, I've been looking at the Shure KSE1200 but also a set of CIEM's from 64 audio, the N8 and the A12t. Thankfully I'll be getting a demo of the 64's soon...I wish I could compare it with the Shure's. Shure doesn't send demos. Anyone want to help. I'd be willing to make a temp deposit via PayPal until you get them back :) I thought about ordering from Amazon and sending back if I ended up liking the 64's more, just not a fan of doing that.

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #4,333 of 6,065
I have a question about tips... are the tips supposed to be flush against the base of the stem? I'm having some trouble getting a comfortable fit when I do that - the fit is more comfortable if I push the tip up to the notch on the stem, but the sound becomes somewhat darker and strangely, a little thin. I'm using CP800-L spinfits.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #4,334 of 6,065
But isn't 64Audio's sound more 'out of the head' than Shure's?
Vocals a tad recessed between the ears vs. a few inches in front with 64Audio, perhaps?
I had the 64Audio U12 and the bass was just too much and I couldn't do anything to tweak it to an acceptable level. Maybe the new models are better but that was my last 64Audio product. I had better luck with the Empire Ears, Zeus, to be specific (sounded nice but a little too polite for me). The Shure KSE1200 continues to amaze me as it recreates a 'live' sound for my ears.

:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #4,335 of 6,065
I had the 64Audio U12 and the bass was just too much and I couldn't do anything to tweak it to an acceptable level. Maybe the new models are better but that was my last 64Audio product. I had better luck with the Empire Ears, Zeus, to be specific (sounded nice but a little too polite for me). The Shure KSE1200 continues to amaze me as it recreates a 'live' sound for my ears.

:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:
Which you like more, KSE1200 or LCDi4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back