Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4,036 of 6,068
I had tested out this combo (DX120 + KSE 1200)) a month or so back , while the sound was pleasant enough I found that pressing play/pause would cause popping / static noise. Did you find this happening?

I haven't experienced that with my KSE1500

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #4,038 of 6,068
It’s such a nice match visually almost like they were made for each other.

I'll have to go back to the shop and give it another try.

I was using Wagnus Ice Sword interconnect - not sure if that would make much difference in terms of the issue you mentioned.

I will try with another interconnect to see if that introduces any glitch effects

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #4,039 of 6,068
Are there recommended eq adjustments out there?

In Roon I have

8,500: -3db
13,000: +7
17,000: -8

This made a nicely positive difference. Still, I'm going off measurements posted here.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #4,040 of 6,068
Are there recommended eq adjustments out there?

In Roon I have

8,500: -3db
13,000: +7
17,000: -8

This made a nicely positive difference. Still, I'm going off measurements posted here.

EQ is whatever your personal preferences are. No right or wrong. However if you want others to suggest adjustments, you should also mention what your likes and dislikes are with no EQ.

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #4,041 of 6,068
EQ is whatever your personal preferences are. No right or wrong. However if you want others to suggest adjustments, you should also mention what your likes and dislikes are with no EQ.

Looking for neutrality, have no preference. The above was my attempt to flatten the peaks/valleys in the treble per the frequency graphs shared here.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #4,042 of 6,068
I'm trying to drive my Sure KSE 1500 with a Chord Qutest. The Qutest only has RCA outputs. The KSE 1500 only has a minijack input. I am using an RCA to minijack cable (actually I've tried 3 of varying quality). I'm getting a very audible buzz when not touching the case of the Qutest or KSE 1500. If I touch either case the buzzing stops. Adjusting the volume doesn't impact the buzz.

I removed elements and got it down to having a buzz even when it's simply the Qutest plugged into the wall power w/ its original power adapter, and the RCA to minijack connector going to the KSE 1500. i.e. No USB connection to the Quest and no power connection to the KSE 1500.

I sometimes use the Qutest with some other equipment that takes RCA directly (BHSE) and I don't have this problem. I also don't get the buzz when I drive the KSE 1500s with a Chord Mojo which has a minijack out. I don't get a buzz when I use a Chord Dave's RCA outputs to drive the KSE 1500 with the same RCA to minijack cable. There seems to be something about the specific combination of the KSE 1500 and the Qutest that is causing trouble.

Any advice for how I can connect these devices up without the buzz?

Cross posting this in the KSE 1500 and Qutest threads.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #4,044 of 6,068
I have the same buzz with KSE1200.

The only way is to not to use any external power.

Let me explain the simplest setup: kse1200, iphone xs max, ordinary lightning to 3.5mm apple dac (dongle).

If I connect kse1200 to power outlet (even via the good quality apple’s own power brick), i here a very audible buzz, which is gone once you touch the kse unit with a finger. Looks like bad grounding in my house and office.

If you need to charge the kse and listen at the same time, the only thing that helps is to connect it to the PC’s USB port (remember I have KSE1200, only charging is possible): no buzzing from it.

Then we come to charghing iPhone itself. If i charge an iPhone via qi wireless charging while listening, the buzz is there too (though much-much quiter, than when connecting kse to the outlet).

So the best way to eliminate any buzz is to listen while on battery power both for your source and your kse unit. Though charging KSE from my tower office PC port while listening has none audible buzz at all. Maybe power filtering inside PC is good enough not to pass it to usb ports.

Nov 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,045 of 6,068
Yeah, plugging in power causes the buzzing noise for me too.

This is one of the reasons I'm a wee bit happier with the KSE1200 right now, the extra battery life means I don't have as often a need to power the the unit externally when i want to use it. Still wish it had more battery life, especially since international flights can exceed 12 hours. But better it powers the majority of a very long flight. Also helps that the KSE1200 (I'm guessing the KSE1500 too) charges pretty fast.

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #4,046 of 6,068
Charging adapter out put is not clean.
I detect by electricity metter that metal cover (may be "shielding") of terminal has some voltages. It is enough to creates a tiny flash when in slightly contact to other grounded metal surfaces.
Samsung charger has, even kse1500's chager has more...
I found that Lenovo Tab7 (very outdated product) charger has very clean output. I always charge kse using this charger.
Dirty DC can make buzz easily, but I did not find any buzz. Just want to charge by clean DC to avoid any bad affects, if any

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #4,047 of 6,068
In my case with the 1200 I can have the source or the 1200 plugged into power with no buzz. But when I have both plugged into power it's a buzzfest.
I am amazed at how long the battery lasts with the 1200 though. Very happy with it.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #4,049 of 6,068
I had the buzzing issue on my KSE1500 setup with a lot of iDevices and Android phone. It all went away when I went into the menu and disable charging.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #4,050 of 6,068
WHats thr input pad set to

I had to set the input pad to -10dB and the Qutest is on 2V (also tried 1V). w/o the input pad even 1V clips.

I have the same buzz with KSE1200.

The only way is to not to use any external power.

Yeah I had trouble before when I was driving the KSE 1500 w/ a Mojo with an even louder buzz when charging the KSE 1500 while listening. I solved that with an iFi iPower. I've also tried running the Qutest w/ the iPower and I don't notice a significant difference in the buzz. You'll note that the configuration I describe in my message has the KSE 1500 running on battery power to eliminate that possibility.

@[URL='https://www.head-fi.org/members/jbrownson.499687/']jbrownson[/URL]: do you get the buzz if you switch the Qutest power supply for a battery pack or another wall wart? Also, what happens if the KSE and qutest cases touch each other?

Ahh excellent question about the battery pack, I wish I had thought of that having read about folks doing that in the Qutest thread. Indeed running the Qutest from a USB bank eliminates the buzz. It's curious that I don't have the same buzz problem with other things like the BHSE. There must be more isolation in there or something. I'm a bit surprised with both of these products not exactly being low-end that they suffer from this problem. As for another wall wort as I mentioned earlier in this post I tried it w/ the iFi IPower I've been using to charge the KSE 1500 and didn't notice a significant difference in the buzz.

I also just tried the powering the Qutest from the power brick for my Macbook Pro and that was much quieter, and even more surprisingly the power supply for my Chromecast Audio was silent as far as I could tell. Seems like I need to play around w/ different power sources on the Qutest until I find something acceptable, worst case run it off of a battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back