Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #3,391 of 6,068
Just got my KSE-1500's, comparing to the Encore's. Wow, just absolutely stellar resolution. I don't think I've ever heard any sound, from any kind of output device, with such clarity. The bass is AMAZING, and I thought the Encore's have good bass... this is on another level. I bought the SpinFit's a few months prior due to the recommendations here, but honestly I have a much deeper fit with the P-series comply's which provide much better seal and comfort than anything else I've used. I've been using them for years with my SE846's and don't think there's anything better. Running through the Mojo, with the P-series tips, I don't hear any of the sibilance any harshness you guys talk about. This is it... my portable/desktop endgame. I'm gonna just settle with this and move onto completing my 7.2.4 HT set.

Feb 24, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #3,392 of 6,068
Just got my KSE-1500's, comparing to the Encore's. Wow, just absolutely stellar resolution. I don't think I've ever heard any sound, from any kind of output device, with such clarity. The bass is AMAZING, and I thought the Encore's have good bass... this is on another level. I bought the SpinFit's a few months prior due to the recommendations here, but honestly I have a much deeper fit with the P-series comply's which provide much better seal and comfort than anything else I've used. I've been using them for years with my SE846's and don't think there's anything better. Running through the Mojo, with the P-series tips, I don't hear any of the sibilance any harshness you guys talk about. This is it... my portable/desktop endgame. I'm gonna just settle with this and move onto completing my 7.2.4 HT set.

Until Shure release Kse1510 with balance input for amp unit and changeable earphone cable.... it is true.

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #3,393 of 6,068
I get a random clipping popping once in awhile listening to music, is that normal for you guys?

EDIT: read about the clipping when using an analog source (my Mojo), changed the input pad from -10 to -20, did not help. Not sure where the source is coming from. Is this a common problem?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #3,394 of 6,068
I get a random clipping popping once in awhile listening to music, is that normal for you guys?

EDIT: read about the clipping when using an analog source (my Mojo), changed the input pad from -10 to -20, did not help. Not sure where the source is coming from. Is this a common problem?
pop happen with dsd album? My sp1000 make a pop at starting each dsd track.
Mojo may be same phenomenom

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #3,395 of 6,068

What's the transport to your Mojo? I've heard of complaints with pops and clicks from Apple products (iPhones) and I've personally experienced RFI/EMI problems with iPhone paired with a Mojo. I abandoned both and now drive a Hugo 2 from Android. I know that's not a cheap and easy solution though :frowning2:

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,396 of 6,068
pop happen with dsd album? My sp1000 make a pop at starting each dsd track.
Mojo may be same phenomenom

Not DSD, just spotify/tidal.
What's the transport to your Mojo? I've heard of complaints with pops and clicks from Apple products (iPhones) and I've personally experienced RFI/EMI problems with iPhone paired with a Mojo. I abandoned both and now drive a Hugo 2 from Android. I know that's not a cheap and easy solution though :frowning2:

I'm using mini jack from Mojo to the KSA, with the line out mode on the Mojo. Previously I've used my Encore directly plugged into my Mojo, without any of these pops/clips. I'm currently using direct USB connection from my PC to the KSA, and have not noticed these popping sound at all so far. I do however, notice more sibilance and less impressive bass without the Mojo. I do prefer using the Mojo for its more lush sound, but the random pops kind of get annoying after awhile.

Just a dumb question, if using the USB connection, with the charging option always on, will it decrease the battery life over time? I'm always going to be using the KSA plugged in (either using USB charger or as USB input).

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,397 of 6,068
I returned my Mojo on account of its lack of shielding. Shame, because it's such a convenient size. Ferrites on your USB cable might help?

BTW, you can turn the charging feature off on the KSE amp, but I probably would worry. The circuitry is designed to limit the current once the battery is fully charged. Also, it's unlikely you'll be listening continuously for as long as you'd leave it plugged in charging overnight(?).

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #3,398 of 6,068
My Mojo is connected via optical, due to huge static issues with USB. So these popping noises are definitely not from the Mojo, as my Encores don't experience them either. It is either from the way the KSA handles analog input, or the connection itself. I have no popping/clipping when I bypass that input when using the USB directly to the KSA.

I'm going to leave the KSA plugged in with the USB all the time if there's no issues with that then.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #3,399 of 6,068
Not DSD, just spotify/tidal.

I'm using mini jack from Mojo to the KSA, with the line out mode on the Mojo. Previously I've used my Encore directly plugged into my Mojo, without any of these pops/clips. I'm currently using direct USB connection from my PC to the KSA, and have not noticed these popping sound at all so far. I do however, notice more sibilance and less impressive bass without the Mojo. I do prefer using the Mojo for its more lush sound, but the random pops kind of get annoying after awhile.

Just a dumb question, if using the USB connection, with the charging option always on, will it decrease the battery life over time? I'm always going to be using the KSA plugged in (either using USB charger or as USB input).
Dont forget to set Input pad -20dB on Ksa.
Output level of Mojo reach 7V if I am not wrong! 2V is good for ksa, that also good at no use of Input pad

Feb 28, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #3,400 of 6,068
I've been using the KSA DAC instead of the Mojo, it's actually not bad. Very clean sound. The shielding on the KSA is absolutely superb, none of the static I get from my Mojo using USB at all.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #3,401 of 6,068
My experience is almost the opposite with the popping. My iPhone X straight into the KSA produces popping (not clipping as the KSA DAC sorts out the digital signal levels and cannot clip with that input). It did not seem to do it with other iOS devices. I then tried using Chord products as the DAC and use the analogue in. This was better in every respect. I first tried the Mojo. It is important to use the pad to -10 or -20 as it will clip, and even so the volume of the Mojo must be low enough to keep the SU leds away from the red, if you do not do this then it will clip really badly. Next I tried with the Chord Hugo 2 and that was really amazing. Finally my Chord Qutest arrived and even though it is fixed output its voltage is low enough not to have caused a clipping problem. It sounds excellent.

I then tried to use the DAC with a different source. I used the digital output from my Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone LPS-1 power supply. There was no popping but the music did not engage me the way it had with the Mojo, Hugo2, Qutest. It just did not pick up its skirts and dance the same way.

Interestingly, I get loads of pops and interference using my iMac 5K as a source into the KSE1500 but I have never heard one pop when I put any source through the external DACs.

This is a shame for me as I had wanted a portable system not a three box solution.

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #3,402 of 6,068
Finally i pulled the trigger on the KSE1500, so i just joined the club, i have always been so tempted to buy it since 1 year ago after i demo it, but was hard to justify the 3000usd investment.
After too much thinking i was on pace to buy a barely used unit, but found a Crazy deal for a new unit at SFO airport hard to pass.
So i have been using it for almost a month now, paired with a Cowon P1, this is by far the best iem i have heard, the clarity in the bass, mids, highs is in another level.
I was using the shure se530 for 10years, now... is kse1500 my only option, i hated the idea to carry 3 devices on travels, but i would hate more no listen to my music with this detail on my long trips, so i dont care about it now.

I have cliping issue as well using analog but only on high volume, input pad -10 solve it with the P1.

I already bought the spinfits cp800-M and cp240-M, did not like the 800, but i have enjoyed the 240-M and is my personal favorite at this moment, waiting on mandarin and westone tips arrival to have more testing.

Does owners reallly feel a difference(significant/minor?) by replacing the analog interconect stock cable?
If it does, it is significant enough to do an investment on a $100usd+ cable?

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #3,403 of 6,068
Finally i pulled the trigger on the KSE1500, so i just joined the club, i have always been so tempted to buy it since 1 year ago after i demo it, but was hard to justify the 3000usd investment.
After too much thinking i was on pace to buy a barely used unit, but found a Crazy deal for a new unit at SFO airport hard to pass.
So i have been using it for almost a month now, paired with a Cowon P1, this is by far the best iem i have heard, the clarity in the bass, mids, highs is in another level.
I was using the shure se530 for 10years, now... is kse1500 my only option, i hated the idea to carry 3 devices on travels, but i would hate more no listen to my music with this detail on my long trips, so i dont care about it now.

I have cliping issue as well using analog but only on high volume, input pad -10 solve it with the P1.

I already bought the spinfits cp800-M and cp240-M, did not like the 800, but i have enjoyed the 240-M and is my personal favorite at this moment, waiting on mandarin and westone tips arrival to have more testing.

Does owners reallly feel a difference(significant/minor?) by replacing the analog interconect stock cable?
If it does, it is significant enough to do an investment on a $100usd+ cable?

I personally would never recommend investing that much in cables. The cable that comes with KSE1500 for line in connection looked fraigle and was straight. So I am rather using the €10 FiiO L17 cable. There is nothing noticeably different for me.

Actually the cable story is, I think, a hype in the audiophile community, which has become more a religious cult rather than a group of people enjoying music. It is like, people believing that their eye sight will improve when they buy more expensive frames for their glasses. Stable frames which will not easily bend will of course help but that is where it ends for me.

By the way. Last week I tried Utopia, Clear and the new HEK v2. For me none of them could touch the KSE1500. I wanted to have a closed back and ended up buying AKG K872.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,404 of 6,068
I personally would never recommend investing that much in cables. The cable that comes with KSE1500 for line in connection looked fraigle and was straight. So I am rather using the €10 FiiO L17 cable. There is nothing noticeably different for me.

Actually the cable story is, I think, a hype in the audiophile community, which has become more a religious cult rather than a group of people enjoying music. It is like, people believing that their eye sight will improve when they buy more expensive frames for their glasses. Stable frames which will not easily bend will of course help but that is where it ends for me.

By the way. Last week I tried Utopia, Clear and the new HEK v2. For me none of them could touch the KSE1500. I wanted to have a closed back and ended up buying AKG K872.
`

Dear sir, allow me to disagree: I was myself not a believer in cable until... I tested several cables between my SP1000 SS and my KSE1500.

First I compared 3 cables that I bought, and could hear a real difference: Pure copper (top) was too soft, Copper/Silver from Labkable (middle) was... perfect, Pure silver from DHC (bottom) was too bright.

The most expensive one (Double helix Cable - pure silver) was wot the most appropriate with my SP1000SS & KSE 1500. The best was the 150€ 8wires Pandora Labkable that is a mix Copper + Silver.

3 cables SE.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Then recently I tried the VERY expensive Brimar Omniking 16x (top - 1000 € ) against my 8wires Pandora Labkable (bottom).

labKLable-Brimar Omniking 16x.jpg

BRIMAR and SP1000-KSE1500 top.jpg

The Brimar Omniking 16x bring additional details and musicality (which usually is hard to combine in a single cable), but... I must agree that the difference in price with the LabKable is not justified

So, for me the sweet spot is the nice L shapped 8wires Pandora Labkable at 150 €

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #3,405 of 6,068
+1 for the Labkable Pandora (and thanks again, bmichels, for the recommendation). It made a dramatic improvement over the silver interconnect cable I was previously using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back