Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #3,421 of 6,066
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #3,422 of 6,066
Agree. ...sometimes simply too sick of audiofilia and hopeless to get better soon :) Thanks god Shure made stock earphone cable not replaceable otherwise we'd have +100 pages here :) Peace!

Exactly my thoughts...

Overall I'm still very impressed, especially with the almost perfect bass presentation. I think those who find it to be bass light might have problems with fit. Though it may not have enough bass for some of course, it's definitely fine even for electronics of any kind.

Based upon the KSE1500 I took out my SE846. In direct comparison it sounds dull and lifeless unfortunately, though I think it pairs less than well with my AK380 (which has a rather high output impedance as far as I remember). I'll try it again with my Hugo, but I don't take the Hugo with me, so that will just satisfy my curiosity.

Mar 14, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #3,423 of 6,066
Exactly my thoughts...

Overall I'm still very impressed, especially with the almost perfect bass presentation. I think those who find it to be bass light might have problems with fit. Though it may not have enough bass for some of course, it's definitely fine even for electronics of any kind.

Based upon the KSE1500 I took out my SE846. In direct comparison it sounds dull and lifeless unfortunately, though I think it pairs less than well with my AK380 (which has a rather high output impedance as far as I remember). I'll try it again with my Hugo, but I don't take the Hugo with me, so that will just satisfy my curiosity.

I thought I sold my DX200 while getting the KSE1500, but the guy who bought it sent it back claiming that it does not work as an external DAC and the balanced output is not properly working. I found out that everything is working fine after I accepted the return and did a test myself. But it was a happy ending though, as I like very much how it pairs with my KSE1500 (and my latest addition to my collection: the AKG K872) and decided to keep it (even thinking of adding the AMP5 to the setup). Interestingly, when I tried my Oppo-205 which has ESS9038PRO which is very similar ESS9028PRO of DX200, it sounded too bright. Maybe I need to check it again.

But still... I think the AMP of the KSE1500 is pretty good although it looks on the paper not as good as many new devices out there.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #3,424 of 6,066
No any issues with bass at all. It's impressing in terms of quantity and quality. My Kaiser Encores lose this game entirely. Bass in armatures, I'd say, can be good, but it's always specific (regardless of 2 bass drivers they've utilized in Encores).

As for other sides, to compare with Encores and to be helpful for others (we remember people are still deciding :) ) and to be short (we all like to read long fairy tales full of metaphors but it will not be the case here from me, though some dry details in brackets will follow):
  • in general Encores are fun to listen, but they are less transparent - this is the only I can describe it and the main point of difference between these two.

As for secondary factors:

• bass is mentioned already + KSE1500 draw the details better and can go more down;
  • mids are great in both;
  • upper mids - more prevailing in Encores making the sound stage a bit wider but sometimes sound goes too bright;
  • trebles - great in both, but KSE can go more up being very accurate and not smashing the details at the same time;
  • construction/engineering/usability - Encores are aluminium and with 2 pin interchangeable cable - so more reliable comparing to plastic KSE (with lovely subject about breaking nozzles), but fit and seal is where Encores definitely lose (one year game, in my case, with all the tips we have on market today and just better result with stock tips from Shure - so straightforward and unbelievable, BTW have to agree with some posting here MandarinEs suck - was exciting at start, but finally disappointed) and earphones are not dropping from ears all the time as in Kaiser case where you need to be extra calm to maintain seal and retry it time-to-time - "is it good enough or I need to readjust ?".

And good that I waited with feedback/post here until I calm down with emotions, otherwise I'd appear in fairy tale mood and eulogizing a lot :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #3,426 of 6,066
Dear all,

Just to inform that I am going to try custom art silicone tips. I already own Sensaphonics full custom shells but find them a bit unergonomic despite great sound. I hope the Custom Art will be more wieldy.

Will report as soon as I get these babies!

That's very interesting, I didn't know Piotr was offering this service for the KSE1500.

Thanks for the advice.

Mar 14, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #3,429 of 6,066
Do you have any picture to share?

If you mean the custom art, not yet as I just ordered, but they will look more or less like this :

480648_391176111003216_318466683_n.jpg

For the Sensaphonics, they are like this :

17498428_10154629342873037_529220192428833859_n.jpg

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #3,430 of 6,066
I'll be selling my SE846s on Audiogon soon since the KSE1500 is about 10 rungs up the ladder in terms of sound quality. That said, I still think the SE846 is an excellent IEM and well worth the $1000 MSRP.

I agree with you that the Shure KSE1500 sounds better than any other headphone -- including over-ears -- I've ever heard. Before buying the KSE, I listened to the Focal Utopia, Focal Clear, Audeze LCD4, Audeze iSine20 (JUNK), Grado PS1000, Sennheiser HD 800 S, Sennheiser IE 800 and the HIFIMAN HEX V2. I had hoped to audition the Campfire Andromeda, Noble Kaiser Encore, Audeze LCDi4 and the Tia Fourte before ordering the KSE1500, but after getting used to the KSE's sound signature I can honestly say that it's an end-game IEM in my book.

-JR
Is that good? really? I was thinking of going for a Focal Utopia + Mojo + Poly. But after reading this I feel like giving the KSE1500 a try. My issue with over-ears is that they always feel heavy and end up giving me headaches. What about soundstage? Does it lose too much in comparison to over-ears?

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #3,431 of 6,066
It's always a good idea to have a listen for yourself. Everybody puts different weights on how important each attribute is to them, e.g., isolation, sound-stage, comfort, clarity, etc. I also own the HD800S and the Utopias. They're both great headphones, and the open-back experience is awesome if you have a quiet environment to listen in. The Utopias aren't very forgiving w.r.t. the recording, DAC, amp, and even when all the stars align, it can still sound a bit bright and (compared to the KSE1500) there's a definite hint of graininess or coarseness about the sound. I find the HD800S is often a more enjoyable listen than Utopia, even if some of the fine details are smoothed over a little. To my ears, the KSE1500 is notably more transparent and resolving than either of these full-sized cans.

Soundstage is, of course, smaller with an IEM than with an open-backed headphone, but that's not a weakness of the KSE1500 - it's a problem with the source recording, which was almost certainly recorded for speakers and not for headphones. If recovering a wide soundstage is really important, and you want something other than just a poor illusion of a wide soundstage, you might want to check out the Smyth Realiser or the OOYH software:

https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

When you're in the right mood, this sort of DSP is really fun :)

P.S. The HD800S is very light and comfy. The Utopias are comfy too, but if you don't like heavy headphones, you probably want to give them a miss.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #3,432 of 6,066
@csglinux -- Thanks for the breakdown on those IEMs. Campfire Audio and 64 Audio are the ones I'd really love to compare to the KSE1500. I now have 7 cycles on my battery, and I've drained it to ~5% each time before recharging, so I'm 50+ hours into my listening experience. It just keeps getting better and better.

Music that really sings on the KSE1500 + Chord Mojo + Poly . . .

"Take The Power Back" (Remastered) by Rage Against The Machine
"Sloe Gin" (Live from the Royal Albert Hall) by Joe Bonamassa
"Hot For Teacher" (2015 Remastered Version) by Van Halen
"The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy
"Isn't She Lovely" by Livingston Taylor
"A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell
You say you are using it with Mojo + Poly. But you still need to go through the KSE1500 Amp, right? How do you do that? tks.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #3,433 of 6,066
You say you are using it with Mojo + Poly. But you still need to go through the KSE1500 Amp, right? How do you do that? tks.
The amp must be used but the DAC section can be bypassed using the line in function. I use it with the headphone out from my Hugo2 and the sound is electrostatic wonderfulness. There is a signature sound involving incredibly fast and tight transients, deep controlled bass, delicate treble and an overall coherent believable sound. I use either the KSE1500 or my Stay 007 Mk2 rig with a stunning KGSSHV Carbon amp. Even against what some might consider the finest open electrostatic combination the KSE1500 holds its own. It is world class but needs something like a Mojo to feed it as the built in DAC holds it back.

I do not even find the soundstage to be limited. Mojo/poly/Shure KSE1500 is an amazing combination. It is like buying a whole nw record collection as you will be listening as if you had never heard the tracks before.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,434 of 6,066
I don't think that question was aimed at me, but I'll jump in and give my $0.02's worth anyway :wink:

I don't have a Mojo anymore. I found its lack of EMI shielding to be a problem. (I do like the Hugo 2 though.)
In either case, you have the option of sending digital in via the USB, or analogue through the 3.5 mm line-in. In the latter case, you're using the Mojo (or Hugo) DAC and not the KSE1500's internal DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back