Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 9, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,141 of 6,065
Simplest way ever for your Kse1500. Drive it by MC23. That's all.
Jriver MC23 cost just $50.

The true factor is that standard records are for speaker, not for headphones.

Extra sound process by MC23 for your e.static kse1500 make unbelievably change.

IMO, "sound stage" of a hp comes from phase and echo in the drive AMP. Without phase and echo, sound will be right between your ears bcs there no distance to make different phase for each frequency and bcs they are not mixed in the air before come in to our ears.

For Kse, MC23 DSP Studio setting are:

Effect = Environment - Studio (level 5), Vitual Sub - None, Surround - None
Headphones = Crossfeed - Subtle

What is achievements, here :
+ Very fine texture and layering of instruments
+ Very much, much larger sound stage, in all dimensions( sphere sound field). No more right between your ears!! Any time switching OFF those setting, you get again sound field less than your head side!
+ There's no boost of any frequency but bcs these remodeling sound is more native to hearing, actually all range was like boost

P.S Cirrus logic dac (CS xxxx) is well balance to my ear. It just "lack" of clarity compare to other more "musical" AKM dac, and the one in Mojo too.
CS4398 in AK and in iBasso D14 sound quite same, less musical compare to Shalling M2S(AKM4490). M2 use CS DAC 4398 and it sound differently thanM2s.
Event at low end above, they show different of Cirrus and Akm.
I think Shure's enginers choose CS is for balance native, not for musically sound.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,142 of 6,065
This is indeed interesting to try, but... JRiver MC23 need a laptop at least. So this unfortunately is not a portable solution. Only for home use. ;-(

It will be great if some DAPs ( or thé KSE itself ) included such digital processing. Something like a " super Crosfade "...,

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,143 of 6,065
Tried this combination setup... best for sound.
Hugo2 vol blue ( below purple, 2volt rms I believe) -> wa8 3tubes vol 5,5 -> kse1500 with inputpad 0db n limiter off...

Improve from hugo2 alone: bass improve alot,more visceral n deep, mid more thick n meaty.. high litte bit more soft, bad mastering / recording not problem anymore... more2 analog..

10012122.jpeg

Attachments

• 3636BA1A-B23B-40DF-B6E2-1C7D4B4FE888.jpeg
    3636BA1A-B23B-40DF-B6E2-1C7D4B4FE888.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,144 of 6,065
Tried this combination setup... best for sound.
Hugo2 vol blue ( below purple, 2volt rms I believe) -> wa8 3tubes vol 5,5 -> kse1500 with inputpad 0db n limiter off...

Improve from hugo2 alone: bass improve alot,more visceral n deep, mid more thick n meaty.. high litte bit more soft, bad mastering / recording not problem anymore... more2 analog..

You forgot to mention the source (DAP) which make your system a .... 4 pieces set-up :wink: But aren't we here to be crazy :wink: ?

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,146 of 6,065
This is indeed interesting to try, but... JRiver MC23 need a laptop at least. So this unfortunately is not a portable solution. Only for home use. ;-(

It will be great if some DAPs ( or thé KSE itself ) included such digital processing. Something like a " super Crosfade "...,

I firmly believe this type of DSP is the thing of the future, but there are currently lots of problems. As @bmichels correctly points out, this type of software isn't available on a DAP or a smartphone (yet). To do it well simply requires too much computing power. The best current tech for this seems to be the Smyth Realizer, which also is hardly portable. I've used Darin Fong's "Out-of-your-head" software, which I like, but again, it needs to run on a desktop machine. I'm sure one day all this DSP will be way more realistic than just an elaborate cross-feed. They'll properly take into account the exact shape of the individual's head and ear canal/concha bowl, the exact speaker system you want to "listen to" and the exact dimensions and acoustic properties of the room you want to listen to it in, and where the speakers are all placed, an infinite number of reflections from all the virtual walls, etc. Exciting times!

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,150 of 6,065
Not bad. Got mine around that price. Especially, if you can audition it first before buying. Then it’s good enough for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back