Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #2,971 of 6,080
I finally got to try the Utopia today, and... I actually preferred the KSE1500. Am I crazy?

I'm not saying the KSE are better, I'm just saying that's what I preferred. And I realize that it takes time to adjust to the sound of a new headphone, so that's maybe part of it.

I think I liked the sound of the LCD-4 more than the Utopia (didn't get to A/B them, but just going from recollection), so I guess I just prefer the electrostat or planar sound over dynamic -- even amazing dynamics like the Utopia. At any rate, listening to the Utopia did make me feel better about what I spent on the KSE1500.
I've had the KSE1500 for ages and also have the Utopia for about 7 months. To me the KSE1500 is my technically best earphone but I would have to say I still prefer to listen to the Utopia for musicality. The virtual space of the KSE1500 is just a little too small for the copious amount of detail it can deliver - it's somewhat almost overwhelming for my ears for long listening sessions. With the Utopia, despite closed sounding for an open pair of cans, still have more room for the details to "breath" and therefore to my ears, easier to accept and easier to listen to.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #2,972 of 6,080
IMG_4324.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
IMG_4322.JPG
I saw someone carrying their phone, mojo, and kse in a large bundle and thought ... isn't it too much? After trying, I am now doing the same. The DAC on the kse is okay, not very impressive.

I agree that while the KSE1500, Chord Mojo and iPod Touch 6th is large it is not unmanageable.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #2,974 of 6,080
Which kind of app are you using to play music on the iPhone?

I have bought and demoed all the apps that allow you to play high resolution music from the App Store. To me the greatest synergy with the KSE and Mojo is NePLAYER. I can also recommend KaiserTone and iAudiogate for sound if you like their user interfaces better.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,976 of 6,080
I have bought and demoed all the apps that allow you to play high resolution music from the App Store. To me the greatest synergy with the KSE and Mojo is NePLAYER. I can also recommend KaiserTone and iAudiogate for sound if you like their user interfaces better.

thanks,
this is the one I use too, I'm not impressed by the overall quality of apps for the iPhone.

I cannot wait to install ios11 since it will play Flac natively, it will be a great improvement, even if the size of my iTunes library will skyrocket.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #2,978 of 6,080
Please where did you get the cable?
The 3.5mm interconnect I got from Konstantins at Lavricable and the Lightning to micro USB I bought from Penon Audio in Hong Kong. The Lavricable is a solid core silver 10 wire custom built exactly for my rig. At $135 the Lightning to micro USB cable is a little pricey but it is the only bullet proof single cable solution I have found. http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #2,979 of 6,080
I've had the KSE1500 for ages and also have the Utopia for about 7 months. To me the KSE1500 is my technically best earphone but I would have to say I still prefer to listen to the Utopia for musicality. The virtual space of the KSE1500 is just a little too small for the copious amount of detail it can deliver - it's somewhat almost overwhelming for my ears for long listening sessions. With the Utopia, despite closed sounding for an open pair of cans, still have more room for the details to "breath" and therefore to my ears, easier to accept and easier to listen to.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. I typically only listen to my KSE for a couple of hours at a stretch, so personally I don't find fatigue to be a problem. But what you're saying makes sense, I can see how something more open would be less fatiguing.

The problem is, I was hoping that a $4k pair of full-sized headphones would impress me -- but what I found is that the Utopia sounds too different from what I'm used to with the KSE, and the LCD-4 sounded okay, but not $4k better than what I already have! :wink:

I'll mention that I got to try my KSE with a Dave, and THAT sounded like a huge improvement. It addresses a bunch of the KSE's (few) shortcomings -- more air, more low end, more 3D and a thicker sound overall. I'm not about to invest in a Dave, but I'm going to give the Hugo 2 a serious listen when I can get to try one... that'll probably be a better upgrade for me, personally, than full-size headphones.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2,980 of 6,080
I've recently started using my walkman as a digital source for the internal DAC of KSA1500. To this day KSE1500 provides the deepest and cleanest bass I've heard from any IEM. I just wish Shure replaces the KSA1500 (energiser portion of the combo) with something that offers more file playback. Please Shure if you are reading this forum do this.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,981 of 6,080
Which kind of app are you using to play music on the iPhone?

Just wanted to let you know, KaiserTone just had an update and after some comparisons I switched over from NePLAYER to KaiserTone. Do not ask me to explain since my iPod is acting simply as a digital storage device to the Mojo and I have all EQ and upsampling turned off but the clarity and soundstage on KaiserTone is better.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,982 of 6,080
Just wanted to let you know, KaiserTone just had an update and after some comparisons I switched over from NePLAYER to KaiserTone. Do not ask me to explain since my iPod is acting simply as a digital storage device to the Mojo and I have all EQ and upsampling turned off but the clarity and soundstage on KaiserTone is better.

thanks!
I'll install it on Monday and give it a try.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #2,983 of 6,080
Finally i got my KSE 1500 3 days ago..

so excited with the kse.. the sounds produced is very "right", clean and balanced.

It's really good for listening audiophile/jazz song.. but i feel it's a bit boring when i played some pop/mainstream song..

so, should i add another iem to compliment the KSE 1500? any thoughts?

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,984 of 6,080
Finally i got my KSE 1500 3 days ago..

so excited with the kse.. the sounds produced is very "right", clean and balanced.

It's really good for listening audiophile/jazz song.. but i feel it's a bit boring when i played some pop/mainstream song..

so, should i add another iem to compliment the KSE 1500? any thoughts?

Great,
I'm sure you'll really enjoy them!!!

I agree with you these are the most balanced iem, their sound is very neutral.

if you have the chance try the Audeze LCDi4.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #2,985 of 6,080
Great,
I'm sure you'll really enjoy them!!!

I agree with you these are the most balanced iem, their sound is very neutral.

if you have the chance try the Audeze LCDi4.

Yes I really do enjoy the kse so much. Sometimes I forgot how many hours I spent just to listen to those pair..

It's really not fatigue. And every time I listened to those, I always reveal a new details that I never heard about from my previous iem.

I'm gonna skip for headphones. It's just too troublesome for me. I'm just gonna go with iem. Thinking of unique melody legacy.

Thanks for the advice Btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back