Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 28, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,101 of 6,081
I'm using the Sony LO cable for this combo. In a quick AB it was a bit better than the headphone out at the expense of a bit of bulk. Nice thing is that the KSE doesn't require any input pad as the Sony line out signal is fairly low.

1-2 yrs back I made something like this :-

I think there are some businesses that can make short ones too.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #2,102 of 6,081
  1-2 yrs back I made something like this :-

I think there are some businesses that can make short ones too.

I would love right angle and small. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #2,103 of 6,081

I would love right angle and small. 

That tiny little thing was something like $150 mainly 'cos of the Furutech plug & Oyaide Augline cable. More info here. Think it's easy to put in a 90° plug.

May 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,104 of 6,081
A question to KSE owners using the analog input. Do any of you use the "Input Pad" (under the Audio menu) to drop the analog input down either -10dB or -20dB and obviously compensate with the KSE amplifier?

Currently, I have the Input Pad at 0dB and I set the Mojo's volume until the input begins to hit the yellow on the KSE display then adjust the KSE's volume pot.

May 1, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,105 of 6,081
A question to KSE owners using the analog input. Do any of you use the "Input Pad" (under the Audio menu) to drop the analog input down either -10dB or -20dB and obviously compensate with the KSE amplifier?

Currently, I have the Input Pad at 0dB and I set the Mojo's volume until the input begins to hit the yellow on the KSE display then adjust the KSE's volume pot.

I always set the mojo at the blue volume level and -10db input on the KSE, this avoids any unnecessary clipping and only adjust the output volume via the KSE.

May 1, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2,107 of 6,081
I always set the mojo at the blue volume level and -10db input on the KSE, this avoids any unnecessary clipping and only adjust the output volume via the KSE.

I wanted to find a way to decrease the source volume and increase the KSEs amplifier without smearing the sound. My brother was a sound engineer for a regional band years ago and that is the way he mixed by keeping the individual channels down and pushing the master amplifier.

35FLE your advice significantly increased the soundstage's width and instrument separation with only a modest loss in clarity. The KSE really has a great deal of depth and ability to scale with the right equipment. Thank you.

May 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #2,109 of 6,081

I use the Line Out for Mojo, and then put the KSE DAC to -10 input. Usually, I will have to press the - ball on the mojo once or twice to prevent clipping. I do not the use the KSE EQ. My favorite source for the KSE is the Mojo followed by the QP1R. I typically will run the DP-X1 to Mojo then Mojo line out to the KSE.

May 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,110 of 6,081
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your Mojo/KSE advice. However, after some pretty extensive A/B testing I think Speedracer is right. Some pages back, Speed stated he avoided engaging the active input pad and left the KSE at 0dB.

To my ears, engaging the input pad to -10dB and increasing the Mojo's volume to compensate moderately softens the transients and clarity. It does however increase the soundstage so it is a trade off.

Also, without limiting the analog input, I have to adjust both the Mojo and the KSE's volume slightly for every album. This not a big problem for me since I never listen to songs but albums (progressive music mandates it) so I only need to adjust the volume every 1-2 hours but if I had an eclectic playlist this would drive me crazy. Again, it is a trade off.

Spook

May 5, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,111 of 6,081
I think I was too rush of me to dismiss the internal DAC. Lately since forcibly switching to iPhone I have been using the internal DAC. I in particular enjoy the NePlayer from Radius, the EQing works very well.

Honestly lately I am more concerned with musicality than with bits and digits and conserving sonic integrity. 

May 5, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #2,112 of 6,081
I tried the KSE-1500 with those ear tips and ...they offered me a PERFECT FIT.  I understood they were sold initially for the LAYLA (hense the red adaptor because they are too big for the KSE-1500 diameter).

Does anyone know where I can get them ?

May 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,113 of 6,081
I tried the KSE-1500 with those ear tips and ...they offered me a PERFECT FIT.  I understood they were sold initially for the LAYLA (hense the red adaptor because they are too big for the KSE-1500 diameter).

Those look like triple-flange Monster Beats tips that can be found on Amazon. They worked really well on the Roxanne II because the nozzle of the Siren earphones are so large in diameter it provides most of the isolation and the flanges pressed down in my ear canal provided that last little bit. However, I don't like them on the Shure IEMs at all. Alone,  those tips are too thin to provide me with the necessary sealed ear enclosure for a solid sound. This may just be me.  I never could understand how people thought the Westone Star tip or Spinfit were any good. They only produced a shallow undesirable sound in my ears. I always thought that was way people weren't satisfied with the treble response. They weren't getting a solid thick sound. Again, it may just be my ears.

I prefer Shure's own triple flange tip back filled with foam. I think most people are better off with custom tips.

May 5, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #2,114 of 6,081

bmichels, the most common triple flange tips are those with a 2mm internal diameter which Shure includes. These work great with Etymotics because the stalk on the headphone is as long as the tip, but the shorter stalk on Shure headphones mean that triple flanges get pinched off at the end resulting in poor quality sound.  

Triple flange tips also come in 4mm internal diameter and some headphones like Jaybird even use a 6mm diameter, both of which which would require spacers to fit the KSE1500 as you have pictured.  For each internal diameter there is generally a choice of small, medium and large size to fit different sized ear canals so it would take some trial and error, but thankfully they are cheap and easy to get.

I was never as happy with tips as I was with the isolation and minimal mechanical noise using triple flange tips on Etymotics, and would love to get the same on Shures.  It would be great to hear more about the tips that you're using and the results of any further experiments with tips and spacers.

May 5, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #2,115 of 6,081
Those look like triple-flange Monster Beats tips that can be found on Amazon. They worked really well on the Roxanne II because the nozzle of the Siren earphones are so large in diameter it provides most of the isolation and the flanges pressed down in my ear canal provided that last little bit. However, I don't like them on the Shure IEMs at all. Alone,  those tips are too thin to provide me with the necessary sealed ear enclosure for a solid sound. This may just be me.  I never could understand how people thought the Westone Star tip or Spinfit were any good. They only produced a shallow undesirable sound in my ears. I always thought that was way people weren't satisfied with the treble response. They weren't getting a solid thick sound. Again, it may just be my ears.

I prefer Shure's own triple flange tip back filled with foam. I think most people are better off with custom tips.

I could not agree more with my friend Truck, get Sensaphonics custom sleeves. We all spent $3000 for the KSEs so go the extra yard and pony up the $150 for the custom sleeves ($200 if, like me, you want colored sleeves).

For me the KSE1500s represent an endgame portable so it is worth the extra ducats to never have to tip roll. Finally, and most importantly the sonic improvement and comfort with custom sleeves is [insert a superlative adjective]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back