Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 31, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #467 of 6,065
Oct 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #468 of 6,065
  If you listen to the Reference Recordings Firebird that I specifically mentioned (particularly the finale)--or even if you look at it through a spectrum analyzer--you'll hear (or see) that there's a lot of energy down low. In the Firebird finale, the lows are at moments explosive, which makes it very easy to suss out from midband and treble. It's one of the reasons I use this recording as a demo of what makes the HiFiMAN HE-1000's bass so special, and pretty much always to owl-eyed, jaw-dropping effect.

Jude, I've checked out that Firebird finale track and while it has pretty spectacular deep bass for a classical orchestra recording, for me personally it's a lot easier to compare low end emphasis and extension between phones with the track I posted. Let me explain, if we just look at (easily discernible) sub-bass content in the finale track, it's basically four massive bass drum beats plus reverb and that's about it:

Here in comparison the Torres track I posted, same steep low pass filter @50Hz, and one can see there's a steady sub-bass beat throughout the entire track:

Jm2c, ymmv, etc.
wink.gif

Patiently waiting for a quantitative / qualitative bass comparison to some well-established IEMs...

This is a very interesting point. I agree and disagree!

From a purist perspective, it makes sense to use acoustic instruments, how they sound in real life, as reference. After all, this is what we're going after, this is what we want hi-fi to sound like!

The Stravinsky recording is amazing and tbo it has so far sounded incredible out of any gear ive used,it is specifically made with the "crazy" drum hitting and everything else recorded in a way that has the same effects even on my z5 compact,of course its better on Mojo and im sure even better on this new shure gizmo, but the efects and impacts are there, I wouldn't attribute it to the quality of the gear necessarily

Tbh, I've listened to this recording for the first time in years, but what instantly caught my attention was the "crazy" drum hitting you mentioned. I've been to quite a few classical concerts and can't remember ever having heard sub-bass reverb like this, which makes me wonder if that's really how that bass drum sounded in real life?

Being the inquisitive mind I am, I've compared one of these drum whacks to another recording (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra / Paavo Järvi) with interesting results:

Eiji Oue - Waveform  >50 Hz:

Paavo Järvi - Waveform >50 Hz:

Doesn't look all that different, does it? Now for the sub-bass content...

Eiji Oue - Waveform <50 Hz:

Paavo Järvi - Waveform <50 Hz:

Conclusions?
popcorn.gif

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #469 of 6,065
I'm really intrigued by these iems. Wonder if I should sell my Shure SE846 and Audeze LCD-XC to fund these? If they are as good as described by Jude and others, it's probably worth it. But it kind of seem crazy to spend that kind of money on two small pieces of plastic (with some magic in them).

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #470 of 6,065
Jude, I've checked out that Firebird finale track and while it has pretty spectacular deep bass for a classical orchestra recording, for me personally it's a lot easier to compare low end emphasis and extension between phones with the track I posted. Let me explain, if we just look at (easily discernible) sub-bass content in the finale track, it's basically four massive bass drum beats plus reverb and that's about it:

Here in comparison the Torres track I posted, same steep low pass filter @50Hz, and one can see there's a steady sub-bass beat throughout the entire track:

Jm2c, ymmv, etc. :wink:

Patiently waiting for a quantitative / qualitative bass comparison to some well-established IEMs...

Tbh, I've listened to this recording for the first time in years, but what instantly caught my attention was the "crazy" drum hitting you mentioned. I've been to quite a few classical concerts and can't remember ever having heard sub-bass reverb like this, which makes me wonder if that's really how that bass drum sounded in real life?

Being the inquisitive mind I am, I've compared one of these drum whacks to another recording (Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra / Paavo Järvi) with interesting results:

Conclusions? :popcorn:

I am the one playing these concerts:wink:,no it doesn't sound like this but it doesn't stop me from thinking this is an amazing project, why are they not doing this stuff here in Europe.I just got the newest Berlin Phil Sibelius symphonies recording and whilst its a great playing, the recording side is a bit on the "boring"side..so there

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #471 of 6,065

Jude, I've checked out that Firebird finale track
and while it has pretty spectacular deep bass for a classical orchestra recording, for me personally it's a lot easier to compare low end emphasis and extension between phones with the track I posted. Let me explain, if we just look at (easily discernible) sub-bass content in the finale track, it's basically four massive bass drum beats plus reverb and that's about it:

Jm2c, ymmv, etc.
wink.gif

Conclusions?
popcorn.gif

Now I have to check out that recording! :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #472 of 6,065
If this electrostatic IEM sound that good, will be worth the price. Is already available to pre-order in UK. Jude can you please comment on the soundstage and instruments placement/separation?
Is it possible to have an adaptor and plug the earphones in a different-amplifier?

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #475 of 6,065

It would never occur to me that the point of spending all this money on hi-fi is to get "life-like" or "realistic" sound! 

If you buy the best large-format camera with the best lenses, do you get a photo that looks like "real life"? Of course not!

The point is simply to pound your nervous system into submission with sensory input of such glorious purity that it has no choice but to flood your brain with all sorts of neurotransmitters that make you forget how largely boring most of "real life" really is.  
redface.gif

As AudioDwebe said (and abbreviated to my dismay), that was damn well said.

Edit: zachawry's post even makes me reconsider my own point of view.  Thank you zachawry.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #476 of 6,065
I am the one playing these concerts:wink:,no it doesn't sound like this but it doesn't stop me from thinking this is an amazing project, why are they not doing this stuff here in Europe.I just got the newest Berlin Phil Sibelius symphonies recording and whilst its a great playing, the recording side is a bit on the "boring"side..so there

Soundblast 75,

As you are one of the very fortunate musicians playing on this amazing recording could you please describe what you mean when you say "no it doesn't sound like this" ?
Sincerely,
-Speed

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #477 of 6,065
If any set of portable headphones were capable of resolving the ifference between a 192/24 file and a 96/24 file, it would be the Shures. So I'm as mystified as everyone else that the DAC isn't capable of playing 192/24 files. Sure, I could always use the line in. But then again, I can't help but think that some compromises were made with the amp and power supply sections in order to accommodate the built-in DAC. I wish Shure had either gone with a purist all-analog design for the power supply/amp or gone the extra mile and included truly state of the art portable DAC capable of decoding 192/24 PCM files as well as DSD files,

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #479 of 6,065
Soundblast 75,

As you are one of the very fortunate musicians playing on this amazing recording could you please describe what you mean when you say "no it doesn't sound like this" ?
Sincerely,
-Speed
He hits a metal plate with a wooden stick.one plate and one stick at a time. I use two sticks with multitude of plates.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #480 of 6,065
Soundblast 75,

Sincerely,
-Speed

Oh,im sorry, I didn't mean I play on that particular recording, but playing in Symphony orchestras is what I do, I have performed Rite of Spring, Firebird etc many times with different bands from Royal Phil to English National Ballet. While it always sounds exciting, especially those drum bits are nothing like that recording, but I am a huge fan of what they've done and the playing is fantastic, not just a technically brilliant recording.most other performances of Stravinsky sound dull to me now :blush:
But most importantly for this thread is what I meant is..it already sounds like an super enhanced electrostatic(don't know what to.call it)piece of recording therefore the efect was there with lets say AK100ii, no extra amp.or dac.
So my point is, if a not so amazing recording sounds better than other equipment on these new Shures, then thats another matter perhaps worth considering splashing over 2k for:beers::wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back