Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #91 of 6,079
mmm.......yes, I know. Different form factors but I'm talking more in terms of opportunity cost and i'm not sure I'm prepared to pay the same as what I paid for my HE 1000 to get approximate SQ (more, same or less???) and listening pleasure just for the obvious advantage and convenience of portability.

Also, in my case, that's how I think. Why? Because I'm 50-50 headphones guy and in-ear guy. Example: my choice was the Prestige Noble K10 CIEM vs. the Hifiman HE 1000. After weighing in the pros and cons of both, I chose the Hifiman HE 1000.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #92 of 6,079
The entire DAC can be bypass using bypass feature.

In the video Jude says "it's amp that's also a DAC" and you can see Line input near LEMO connector. So you get both DAC and AMP.

Thanks guys for the info, I know that but I would rather not pay for something I am not going to use.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #93 of 6,079
  It could have been the IEM of the decade, but there are a few problems:

1.) No symmetrical signal path
2.) DAC is limited to 96 kHz and probably doesn't process DSD material
3.) No optical input

1 and 3 don't bother me quite as much [though i agree], but at this price, #2 is challenging. Sure, there is plenty of great sub-96kHz material, but if the quality of resolution is as good as it could be, I would want to have and hear my hi-res files on this rig. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #95 of 6,079
Oct 22, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #96 of 6,079

It could have been the IEM of the decade, but there are a few problems:

1.) No symmetrical signal path
2.) DAC is limited to 96 kHz and probably doesn't process DSD material
3.) No optical input

1 and 3 don't bother me quite as much [though i agree], but at this price, #2 is challenging. Sure, there is plenty of great sub-96kHz material, but if the quality of resolution is as good as it could be, I would want to have and hear my hi-res files on this rig. 

Two more:

4) Cable not detachable
5) Digital in and headphone out are not on the same side of the unit. Not really portable.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #97 of 6,079
Oct 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #98 of 6,079
Me thinks this could be a nice match with the PAW Gold. PAW Gold has a great DAC and line out. And it already has a superb DSP-based PMEQ so no reason to do the ADC>DAC internal conversion in the Shure amplifier if you want to tweak the sound. 

Alas $3,000 is too rich for me right now. I would love to hear it though!

(The iPhone capability is interesting too. It would be nice to know more about the internal DAC chip.)

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #101 of 6,079

Two more:

4) Cable not detachable
5) Digital in and headphone out are not on the same side of the unit. Not really portable.

Number 5 depends on the use. I'd prefer digital in on the bottom for use with my iPhone and headphone out on the opposite side so I'm holding the device in the correct orientation.

I'd use a right angle short jumper like this with the amp/DAC and be perfectly happy.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #102 of 6,079

Two more:

4) Cable not detachable

Yep. #4 nothyper-critical depending on quality of OEM cable. #5 adaptable, but not optimal.

If I was still traveling 3-4 times per month, I would push the button on the Earphone Solutions pre-order. But right now, with much less travel, and no commute, it's easier to do a wait and see.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #103 of 6,079
Earphone Solutions listed its regular price as $3749, with pre-orders $2999.

http://www.earphonesolutions.com/shure-kse1500.html

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #105 of 6,079
You seem to be trolling a lot of threads lately, nice try.
Yes I have. I go to the threads that I bought a product. I have only gone to two threats that I want to purchase such as a new dap.Viewing and asking to me is what we do here. My view on 12 BA Drivers is that many BA drivers in a iem doesnt mean its better than less Drivers.Thanks for taking your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back