Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Oct 22, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #61 of 6,059
Goodnuss grayshuss! Good chance this'll wind up being my endgame. Just wish it was possible to get with an amp (only) that lacked the DAC and EQ. I suppose there are those who don't have 24/192 files who'll want to add bass boost to their MP3 streams. But I digress and such.

Yeah, electrostat and all! Heard a rumor there's actually another secret version including a tri-oxide crystalline unobtainium-fusion flux capacitor cable. Wonder when they'll go public with it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #62 of 6,059

Goodnuss grayshuss! Good chance this'll wind up being my endgame. Just wish it was possible to get with an amp (only) that lacked the DAC and EQ. I suppose there are those who don't have 24/192 files who'll want to add bass boost to their MP3 streams. But I digress and such.

Yeah, electrostat and all! Heard a rumor there's actually another secret version including a tri-oxide crystalline unobtainium-fusion flux capacitor cable. Wonder when they'll go public with it.

Excuse me, but I think you may be forgetting that yesterday was the 30th anniversary of 'Back to the Future'.

Using some very scientific logic, that obviously means that they'll probably be going public with the secret version you mentioned (including a tri-oxide crystalline unobtainium-fusion flux capacitor cable), either today or tomorrow (definitely before the weekend)
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #65 of 6,059

Excuse me, but I think you may be forgetting that yesterday was the 30th anniversary of 'Back to the Future'.

Using some very scientific logic, that obviously means that they'll probably be going public with the secret version you mentioned (including a tri-oxide crystalline unobtainium-fusion flux capacitor cable), either today or tomorrow (definitely before the weekend)
biggrin.gif

Of course, how stupid of me! Why didn't I think of that??? 
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #66 of 6,059
I'd hold-off from buying this - it's only a matter of time before someone does a hybrid version with a BA or DD thrown into the housing, alongside the electrostatic diaphragm
wink.gif

Joking aside, I really do appreciate the engineering effort that must've gone into producing the product, and I genuinely would like to hear it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #67 of 6,059
Despite the high price if rumours are true this sets a new standard for high end IEM. They are no longer dealing with Balance Aramture, dynamic or hybrid. The bar is set high. I was thinking perhaps 3K mark is high (and it is) but we are getting a complete package. We would not need to ever worry about finding the right amp as it is developed with it, we dont need to worry about source as it is apple verified.

I am more excited to see how other brands react. They either have to set the bar high or readjust the prices. If it is true and this IEM infact sets a new standard I dont see why anyone should want anything else. 

If this is selling for 3000 AUD I will buy it, mark my word. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #68 of 6,059
  ....3) Whilst I applaud the innovation and engineering skill, I would like to know what 'magic' fairy sprinkles Shure believe they've somehow used (or maybe snorted), that yields circa 37db isolation, when virtually every CIEM manufacturer around the globe claims to offer circa 26-27db isolation.

Do the tips come with contact adhesive or expanding PU foam, to be applied to the tip and the ear canal, every time the IEM is inserted..?
rolleyes.gif

Probably not any. Etymotic claims at least 35dB of isolation for the ER4s, so if the outer shell is thick enough, I don't see why it wouldn't offer 37dBs with foam tips. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #69 of 6,059

....3) Whilst I applaud the innovation and engineering skill, I would like to know what 'magic' fairy sprinkles Shure believe they've somehow used (or maybe snorted), that yields circa 37db isolation, when virtually every CIEM manufacturer around the globe claims to offer circa 26-27db isolation.

Do the tips come with contact adhesive or expanding PU foam, to be applied to the tip and the ear canal, every time the IEM is inserted..?
rolleyes.gif

Probably not any. Etymotic claims at least 35dB of isolation for the ER4s, so if the outer shell is thick enough, I don't see why it wouldn't offer 37dBs with foam tips. 

That's a fair counter, but not sufficient to convince me, at this stage.

I would counter that such a large earpiece (OK, it's marvelously tiny for an electrostat, but large by comparison with many IEMs, and enormous by comparison with the miniscule ER4s) is unlikely to retain perfect seal whilst walking around, unless one places unwise amounts of sponge pressure against the walls of the ear canal.

None of this is intended to detract from the product, overall; I'm only being skeptical about the 37db isolation claim because it so out-stretches the claims made by the vast majority of competitors.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #70 of 6,059

That's a fair counter, but not sufficient to convince me, at this stage.

I would counter that such a large earpiece (OK, it's marvelously tiny for an electrostat, but large by comparison with many IEMs, and enormous by comparison with the miniscule ER4s) is unlikely to retain perfect seal whilst walking around, unless one places unwise amounts of sponge pressure against the walls of the ear canal.

None of this is intended to detract from the product, overall; I'm only being skeptical about the 37db isolation claim because it so out-stretches the claims made by the vast majority of competitors.

I have to go with Currawong here. Shure has been claiming isolation of up to 37db for all its models. Might not be exactly 37 but it's very close to that with tri-flanges and olives - definitely above 30db. Not ety levels but the er4s goes into the 40+ db with ease.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #71 of 6,059
<Shrug>   I remain unconvinced that Shure IEMs with industry-standard tips (of whatever variety) can provide approx 10db more isolation than almost every other global competitor with the very same industry-standard tips, but I'll let it drop, out of respect for the focus of the thread.

beerchug.gif

Looking forward to seeing some user-impressions of these electrostats, quite soon, and, eventually, perhaps hearing them for myself.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #73 of 6,059
  Isn't the reason Head-Fi and Headphones Hobby took off in a big way mostly due to the aversion to the multi thousand dollars 2 channel setups?

Not sure about that... in my case it's because it was a pain in the ass to take all of that with me when I left the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back