Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #5,311 of 6,068
I have a KSE1200 inbound and was wondering how much voltage is too much for the line out on the DAP I am tethering it to?
You want to use the line out function if it has it. The KSE also has a switch for gain. There is a light that you can use for clipping. It will be green for a "clean" signal but will burn red when it receives a clipped signal. With my x7mk2, I use lineout and have the kse switched to low gain. Light stays green. Hi gain, and it clips.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #5,312 of 6,068
You want to use the line out function if it has it. The KSE also has a switch for gain. There is a light that you can use for clipping. It will be green for a "clean" signal but will burn red when it receives a clipped signal. With my x7mk2, I use lineout and have the kse switched to low gain. Light stays green. Hi gain, and it clips.

understood... the line out on my dap has variable voltage output, so I guess a little experimentation starting at low voltage with no pad and go from there

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #5,316 of 6,068
Where do i find protective case for the kse1200 energizer?

The HB4 from Fiio is excellent for holding the KSE1200 (energizer and IEMs) and, in my case, the rest of my system: Qudelix 5K and Fiio interconnect cable.**

This case is awesome!!

kse_fiio_case_01.jpgkse_fiio_case_02.jpgkse_fiio_case_04.jpg
kse_fiio_case_03.jpg

**Little dog not included with case nor KSE system

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #5,317 of 6,068
The HB4 from Fiio is excellent for holding the KSE1200 (energizer and IEMs) and, in my case, the rest of my system: Qudelix 5K and Fiio interconnect cable.**

This case is awesome!!

I’d be careful about keeping the IEMs wound so tightly. I had two pairs (both replaced under warranty) develop an issue where the sound would cut out unless I applied some pressure right where the cable joins the part that looks like a cone, leading to the connector. So the internal wiring was compromised somewhere around that spot. I think that’s a point of weakness, so I wouldn’t apply stress to it, as you’re doing in your photo. When I store them, I make sure that spot isn’t bent.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #5,318 of 6,068
Out of curiosity I went to try out the kse1200 today and am very surprised that the bass is darn good. I've heard many commented that KSE1500 is weak in bass, I'm pretty confused. Infact I felt it has thicker bass than the UM MEST.

Jan 4, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #5,319 of 6,068
Out of curiosity I went to try out the kse1200 today and am very surprised that the bass is darn good. I've heard many commented that KSE1500 is weak in bass, I'm pretty confused. Infact I felt it has thicker bass than the UM MEST.
No one who is used to neutral bass would say that the kse1200 is bass shy. If you are a bass head that is a different matter but certainly nothing that equalisation couldn’t fix

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #5,322 of 6,068
Hey, I have 2 Questions:

1) what is the consensus nowadays about the 1200 VS 1500? I get it that the 1500s DAC is the weak point of the system, but the screen and EQ are maybe needed to boost bass and the display makes it easier to avoid distortion? also, how did the energyzers batteries kept over the years?
2) I'm concerned about the sound nozzles. I bought the 846 when it came out after breaking the plastic sound nozzles of my 215 and my 425. The 846s removable metal nozzle was very appealing and stood the test of time :) Did people break these already??

Thanks

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #5,323 of 6,068
Hey, I have 2 Questions:

1) what is the consensus nowadays about the 1200 VS 1500? I get it that the 1500s DAC is the weak point of the system, but the screen and EQ are maybe needed to boost bass and the display makes it easier to avoid distortion? also, how did the energyzers batteries kept over the years?
2) I'm concerned about the sound nozzles. I bought the 846 when it came out after breaking the plastic sound nozzles of my 215 and my 425. The 846s removable metal nozzle was very appealing and stood the test of time :) Did people break these already??

Thanks

I think it's all about application. I prefer using the EQ on my WM1Z and using the "line out" to the KSE. I have both the KSE1200 and KSE1500 and will be selling my KSE1500 sometime soon as I just don't use the USB in on the 1500. However, using the KSE1500 with USB/digital in is definitely an extremely nice option...just not my preference.

I've not heard of anyone breaking the nozzle although I've always treated mine very carefully. I don't think I've ever used them outside of the house/on the go though.

Jan 15, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #5,324 of 6,068
I never use the EQ on my KSE1500, because that engages the DAC, which is far inferior to the DAC in my SP2000.

I’ve been nervous about the nozzles as well, but I’ve had the KSE for like 4 years and they haven’t broken. The cable, on the other hand... I think the cable is vulnerable to damage at the accordion spot near the connector (had to replace the IEMs and cable twice under warranty, and have since been a lot more careful).

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #5,325 of 6,068
Hey, I have 2 Questions:

Thanks
I had a chance to listen to the 1500 when it first came out. Shocking & amazing sound, but the cost turned me off. The idea of all that money and an old DAC platform sealed it. When the 1200 came out, I jumped. I have no regrets. I have the 846 as well. I use the 846 for my really "portable" unit. 1200 with my Fiio X7mk2 is 90% of my desktop rig. I see no value in the 1500 now. With the newer DAP's coming out, with the level of DAC chips they now use, I just hope they may come out with a newer energizer. Matched with dual flange spin fits, I'm done with searching IEM's. I will focus on newer DAP's.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back