Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #5,327 of 6,059
I'm am so close in getting the kse1200 but it's more than 2 years old and am thinking will a newer model be out anytime soon..?

Been waiting since the end of November for a KSE1200. Shure hasn't been able to fill orders (with my dealer) and isn't expecting new stock till later this month. Keep trying to remind myself that patience is a virtue. The irony of that is I have not (at times) been very virtuous.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #5,330 of 6,059
I'm am so close in getting the kse1200 but it's more than 2 years old and am thinking will a newer model be out anytime soon..?
I very much doubt it, Shure doesn’t tend to “update” models very often as can be seen from their other SE series. Frankly it’s not a field where there are huge advances in technology every year and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #5,331 of 6,059
I very much doubt it, Shure doesn’t tend to “update” models very often as can be seen from their other SE series. Frankly it’s not a field where there are huge advances in technology every year and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Agreed. It seems unlikely Shure will update the KSE1200/1500 given it’s storied history of development. In fact its probably more likely to be discontinued than updated and there is no better time to buy than now.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #5,332 of 6,059
Agreed. It seems unlikely Shure will update the KSE1200/1500 given it’s storied history of development. In fact its probably more likely to be discontinued than updated and there is no better time to buy than now.

I agree and took the leap. hoping this will be my forever reference set

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,333 of 6,059
I doubt they will discontinue the 1200, possibly the 1500 as the DAC isn’t really that good, overall the 1200 is a reference set that took them 8years to develop so I sincerely hope they don’t discontinue it.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,334 of 6,059
Don't think we have to worry about the KSE (earpieces) being outdated. Even six years later there's no rival, only these "almost" electrostatic earphones that are pre-energized. It shows that Shure did something right, and something that's not easily copied.

But for the energizer, they could show more support. You can do more with it, like an updated DAC/amp like others have mentioned, smaller unit, ability to work with balanced sources, or BT capability (of course with LDAC). I think a lot of KSE owners would upgrade their energizer if there's a good reason. Also, there's still no leather case for the 1200 energizer :frowning2:

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #5,336 of 6,059
Hey guys!

Been a while. Do you know why there’s a dip in 5khz range? Could anyone please point in the direction of why is it desirable?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4d5qnuv637c4pq/Shure KSE1200.pdf
Personally I pay very little notice of frequency plots, mainly because I'd rather hear what something sounds like and read positive reviews and make an opinion based on that rather than a bunch of numbers. :wink:

Secondly is there really a dip? Most plots, or so I'm told by people who know, align 0db at 1Khz that plot shows 1k and 5k are both at very similar levels so no dip at 5k but peaks at 2k and 8k.

A peak a 8K can often result in a lot of sibilance, again what I've read here. I don't hear any sibilance with the KSE so read into that what you want. :)

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #5,337 of 6,059
Secondly is there really a dip?

It’s easy: apply provided EQ and hear for yourself. Highs are totally more pronounced (in comparison afterwards you can call them muffled without the EQ).

The problem with me is that I don’t have a trained ear or reference headphones: so I don’t know what sound should be like.

I have audeze isine20 with its lightning v2 dac cable; and kse1200.

isine20 sounds terrible (and have terrible FR) if used with 3.5 mm. And good if used with audeze provided iphone lightning dac cable with prebuilt EQ correction.

I believe every headphone gains greatly from EQ (like every display gains greatly from color calibration). Well, not every, but those where EQ doesn’t add distortions due to bad engineering or hardware limitations. Problem with in-ear headphones is that their FR should not be flat compared to speakers (and there are so many “versions” of what ideal FR should be for in-ear)

What I would like to know if whether that 4khz kse dip is intentional and somehow preferred; or just an inherent defect, a limitation, something you cannot fix unless using some other design like multiple drivers or software EQ.

For example, shure se846 has “better” FR using multiple drivers:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ci5n58dyloqxqip/Shure SE846 (oratory1990 target).pdf

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #5,338 of 6,059
Have been listening to the KSE1200 for almost two weeks. The guitar, the vocal the drums sounds the most true to life even comparing with UM MEST and Odin. The highs are more comfortable in UM MEST though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back