Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 10, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #5,298 of 6,067
I went thru a whole conundrum with tips when I first got the KSE. Coming from the 846, I continued to use the yellow foamies, but treble fatigue happened, where it didn't on the 846 (obviously). I tried a multitude of options. Every tip in the Shure box, every Comply offering, every Spinfit, Symbio, Westone, Final E. Even to this day, haven't found the "perfect" one that hands down I can say is it. I stuck with the comfort Comply's for a while, which sound great, esp compared to the crappy Isolation ones, but found they don't go in deep enough. These days I just stick with the foam Olives, because they most balance everything (isolation, warmth, fit, clarity, soundstage, treble). Not the best particularly in any department, but satisfactory in every one. I dunno if anyone else feels the same.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #5,299 of 6,067
I went thru a whole conundrum with tips when I first got the KSE. Coming from the 846, I continued to use the yellow foamies, but treble fatigue happened, where it didn't on the 846 (obviously). I tried a multitude of options. Every tip in the Shure box, every Comply offering, every Spinfit, Symbio. Even to this day, haven't found the "perfect" one that hands down I can say is it. I stuck with the comfort Comply's for a while, which sound great, esp compared to the crappy Isolation ones, but found they don't go in deep enough. These days I just stick with the foam Olives, because they most balance everything (isolation, warmth, fit, clarity, soundstage, treble). Not the best particularly in any department, but satisfactory in every one. I dunno if anyone else feels the same.
I too tried loads of different tips before finally going with custom moulds from Snugs, here in the UK (I’m sure there are others). They needed a bit of lubrication, but once heard, there’s been no going back for me. Superb bass, a real sense of ’immediacy’ and super sweet top-end.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #5,300 of 6,067
I too tried loads of different tips before finally going with custom moulds from Snugs, here in the UK (I’m sure there are others). They needed a bit of lubrication, but once heard, there’s been no going back for me. Superb bass, a real sense of ’immediacy’ and super sweet top-end.

Which Snugs model did you go for? Any other comments about these tips?

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #5,301 of 6,067
Which Snugs model did you go for? Any other comments about these tips?
Mine are the Snugs Only model from 2017. Looking at their website now, though, they have different models and I can’t find the the KSE listed as an option (the SE 846 is)! I’ve sent Snugs an email asking if they’re still available. I’ll come back here when they reply.

Nov 11, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #5,302 of 6,067
I went thru a whole conundrum with tips when I first got the KSE. Coming from the 846, I continued to use the yellow foamies, but treble fatigue happened, where it didn't on the 846 (obviously). I tried a multitude of options. Every tip in the Shure box, every Comply offering, every Spinfit, Symbio, Westone, Final E. Even to this day, haven't found the "perfect" one that hands down I can say is it. I stuck with the comfort Comply's for a while, which sound great, esp compared to the crappy Isolation ones, but found they don't go in deep enough. These days I just stick with the foam Olives, because they most balance everything (isolation, warmth, fit, clarity, soundstage, treble). Not the best particularly in any department, but satisfactory in every one. I dunno if anyone else feels the same.

Shure olives are quite alright in terms of sound. I've got issue with their sizes unfortunately. Medium size is a little bit too small and I easily loose the seal and big ones are too big and I can force them in but they are uncomfortable after a while.

Nov 11, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #5,303 of 6,067
Mine are the Snugs Only model from 2017. Looking at their website now, though, they have different models and I can’t find the the KSE listed as an option (the SE 846 is)! I’ve sent Snugs an email asking if they’re still available. I’ll come back here when they reply.
A quick response from Snugs! They’ve updated their website to list the KSE1500 as an option for their SnugsPro (iem) models. I’ve suggested they add the 1200 to that list. The Pro (iem) is the same as my model but with a new name.

Nov 11, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #5,304 of 6,067
Shure olives are quite alright in terms of sound. I've got issue with their sizes unfortunately. Medium size is a little bit too small and I easily loose the seal and big ones are too big and I can force them in but they are uncomfortable after a while.

What’s your recommended eartips for KSE?

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #5,306 of 6,067
I like Symbio W hybrid (thin silicon outside but with foam inside) Has a wide bore but I use it with an adapter borrowed from my Spinfit. This pairing has deep bass but without affecting mids and treble (unlike Final E type, and Earrbond Barreleye, both tame the highs and details)
Have the XELASTEC coming next week.
Following up on my own post, the XELASTEC arrived. It’s unbelievable for vocals, giving them front and centre stage with lots of presence, separating it from the rest of the music. Bass thump is still there, but mid-bass lines that may colour the vocal range seems gone. Treble texture from cymbals is still there. My favourite pop and vocal tips.
A side effect: With some tips I feel that the vocal presence isn’t enough, and I want to turn the volume up to compensate for it. With the XELASTEC, I find myself turning the volume down because of the vocal presence, and now the rest of the music is too soft :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back