Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 21, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #4,666 of 6,068
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice
I remember seeing the Kse on a local suppliers page years ago and thought they looked soooo cool. Very sophisticated, with the amp module and leather case, almost like a symbol of wealth. Because only someone with lots of money and refined taste would buy something so expensive and impractical i thought :L3000: Perception is a funny thing :joy:
We'll now i can afford them. But iem's have progressed a lot in those years and i'm left wondering if there is a better choice (aren't we all).

I briefly demo'd the 1200 but don't think the fit was right, it sounded very thin with little to no sub bass, but the resolution was astounding. It also made a lot of my music sound unlistenable, but as someone else here said "when the stars align" it was mind blowing.
I previously owned the Andromeda and enjoyed it, but i'm also curious about the 64 audio u12/18T. Unfortunately there is no where in my ares that i'm aware of to demo the 64's.

So my question, If you guys had to choose just one iem between the following, Andromeda, kse 1200, U12T, U18T which would you go for?
I'm aware nothing will beat the Shures in resolution, no way. But maybe one of the other options is a better choice for overall musicality, enjoyment with a variety of genres and more versatility?

Asking here because i know some of you have tried all of the above.
Thanks.
Hey, i got an idea for you. If u think u cant make a decision yet if u like kse or not. Just get er2se or er4sr first. See if u like neutral sound. But kse gives a little more bass response than er4sr but er2se can also give that bass. So choose wisely. These are not cheap! I returned them not because of the sound but amp. I hardly use it due to the amp.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #4,667 of 6,068
Sep 22, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #4,668 of 6,068
Thanks for the tip twiceboss, i think ill be saving every dollar towards a flagship and source though.
I'll just have to demo the kse again and see how i feel about it. Good to know its a worthy improvement over Andromeda, and without the ability to demo 64 audio i wont blind buy.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #4,670 of 6,068
Has anyone ever tried using the KSE amp with full sized stax!? :astonished:
I wonder what would happen if someone put a small hole in the outer housing, the same as the internal one.
You guess a 200V bias voltage amp can works on 630V cans?

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #4,671 of 6,068
KSE1200_Moly-2.jpg
:heart:

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #4,672 of 6,068
You guess a 200V bias voltage amp can works on 630V cans?
Yes it does but in a reverse way. I have a adapter that allow my kse connect to Stax amp. I have try d50 and d10, both of them work perfeclty even better than the original shure amp.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #4,673 of 6,068
Has anyone ever tried using the KSE amp with full sized stax!? :astonished:
I wonder what would happen if someone put a small hole in the outer housing, the same as the internal one.
I try in a reverse way. I have a adpter that allow my Kse to use Stax amp. I have try it on d50 and d10, they work perfectly and even sound better than the original amp.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #4,676 of 6,068
Oct 1, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #4,677 of 6,068
Yeah, my lack of knowledge involving voltage bias. I noticed the kse and Stax srm-d10 both having the same max output voltage of 200v and that's all.
I decided not to go with the kse for now. Amazing for acoustics, but felt it lacked the body, sounded bit too lean for many others types of music. Edit: listening with Westone Star silicone tips, not foam.

Listening to u12t now, not sure i'll keep them.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #4,678 of 6,068
Just ordered the KSE1200 new for a pretty good price - really looking forward to trying out the estat sound for the first time.

I’ve been out of the headphone game for quite some time (have been happy with AKG K701 and Shure SE846 for years) but recently returned by upgrading to the Sony MDR-Z1R and these on the “portable” side. Fun times!

Oct 3, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4,679 of 6,068
Just ordered the KSE1200 new for a pretty good price - really looking forward to trying out the estat sound for the first time.

I’ve been out of the headphone game for quite some time (have been happy with AKG K701 and Shure SE846 for years) but recently returned by upgrading to the Sony MDR-Z1R and these on the “portable” side. Fun times!

Get yourself some spinfits. I am partial to the double flanges. If you like the 846's, you will love the 1200's. Well, at least i do.......................

Oct 3, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #4,680 of 6,068
Get yourself some spinfits. I am partial to the double flanges. If you like the 846's, you will love the 1200's. Well, at least i do.......................

Nice, I actually think I have the blue and red (color around the stem) Spinfits somewhere around here. I've had great luck with the white triple flanges (with the smallest flange cut off - is that what you refer as double flange?) on all my IEMs but will give the Spinfits a fair shake as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back