Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #4,397 of 6,080
Ah I understood. You diy the black foam pad :D

yes... :D

survival kit 2.jpg

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #4,398 of 6,080
After many different combo & cable testing, here is my latest set-up: AK1000SP + Shure KSE1500 with MandarinES eartips (red diameter adaptor needed) + Brimar cable. All fit in an IKEA case...

A long way since the TU-05 Amp + AK100 + Fostex TH900 pictured above post (still a very good sound but... much less portable ! )

Endgame ? You never know ! :wink:

Beautiful !

I have tried several eartip. For me, shure black foam kills the shure kse... you lose soundstage, lose hi frequency extension and some micro detail.
I’m using spin fit 800, and with that the kse it’s almost like focal utopia with a super hi end amplifier
I want to try those symbios. They probably even better.

Where did you get those red adapters?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #4,399 of 6,080
they came with a bag of eartips. It was a good surprise. But they can be replaced by some silicon tube...

IMG_5386.jpeg IMG_5377.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #4,400 of 6,080
One way to make a suitable silicone tube is to cut the head of the Shure soft flex tips. I did this so I could try mounting JVC spiral dot tips and have to say there was a noticable improvement over foam tips, base was better controlled along with excellent top end extension.

The other advantage of the spiral dot is that they have a bigger range of sizes than most so getting the ideal fit is a little easier.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #4,401 of 6,080
One way to make a suitable silicone tube is to cut the head of the Shure soft flex tips. I did this so I could try mounting JVC spiral dot tips and have to say there was a noticable improvement over foam tips, base was better controlled along with excellent top end extension.

The other advantage of the spiral dot is that they have a bigger range of sizes than most so getting the ideal fit is a little easier.
I did try the spiral dots, but I had the impression that the Shure kse bore was overly exposed and I became afraid that dirt or wax could get inside the headphone. did had the time to compare spiral dots vs spin fit. did you had the same impression?

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #4,402 of 6,080
Just like to say at this point that NO tips work for me (ever, small ears, unusual ear shape, whatever - short of using duct tape and a hammer they simply won't stay in) - so I use Snugs custom molds.

I was surprised to see Shure KSE1500 / 1200 are on the list of models Snugs can make for.

Does anyone here have their KSE's in custom molds?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #4,403 of 6,080
I did try the spiral dots, but I had the impression that the Shure kse bore was overly exposed and I became afraid that dirt or wax could get inside the headphone. did had the time to compare spiral dots vs spin fit. did you had the same impression?

Yes for sure the bore is very open but I've never had an issue with wax etc, maybe I'm fortunate in that regard.

I did try some symbio W tips and could hear little difference between those and the spiral dots but for me the spiral dots are just that little bit more comfortable.

Following the improvement I found with the above I've also ordered some spinfit CP240 (double flange) to try out as I quite liked the shure triple flange tips once I'd cut the 1st flange off but just couldn't get a consistently good seal.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #4,405 of 6,080
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #4,406 of 6,080
Just like to say at this point that NO tips work for me (ever, small ears, unusual ear shape, whatever - short of using duct tape and a hammer they simply won't stay in) - so I use Snugs custom molds.

I was surprised to see Shure KSE1500 / 1200 are on the list of models Snugs can make for.

I do and I will have them Saturday. They are the Sensaphonics custom Sleeves (SCS) . I have had the SCS for 3+ years for my Shure 846.. Can't hand any of the Universal's.. Not only are they super comfortable excelent seal yadda yadda yadda they did improve the over all wider soundstage. ...

Love that Silicone

I have no doubt that these shall also do everything I have come to expect...

And Sensaphonics CS is excellent.

If you search Sensaphonics here there is a thread

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,407 of 6,080

Yes I do.

Initially I had a great fit, but recently I have noticed that the right earpiece and Snugs are no longer a 'snug' fit (see what I did there :grin:)
On the whole I do have a decent fit but often I feel as though my right ear loses it seal, requiring re-seating, just my personal experiences.

Every now and then I will resort to the supplied foam tips as I did today and the seal was improved for me.
I will return to my Snugs after a few days beak.
I have been hearing about Symbio and may give these a try, personally never got on well enough with Spin fits but I am prepared to try all comers

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #4,408 of 6,080
Beautiful !

I have tried several eartip. For me, shure black foam kills the shure kse... you lose soundstage, lose hi frequency extension and some micro detail.
I’m using spin fit 800, and with that the kse it’s almost like focal utopia with a super hi end amplifier
I want to try those symbios. They probably even better.

If you like the spinfit 800's, try the spinfit twin blades. CP240.

The best sealing I've found. I've tried everything, and the 800's where my goto until I recently found the CP240's. So good, you need to be careful when removing the IEM.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #4,410 of 6,080
when would shure release a version engerizer with built in LDAC bluetooth please?

the built in DAC is also of so so quality, please update!

thanks.
Imagine a modular DAC chip so we can update or use different DAC flavors.

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back