Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #4,366 of 6,066
KSE1200 is damn good. Love it to death. Really full bodied while maintaining a ton of detail, and incredibly sharp attack (a.k.a. fast transients). A pretty rare combination.

I don't have other HiFi class IEMs to compare them to, since it's the best i have. But I will confess that for sheer sharpness of attack, that distinctive cliff at the beginning of each note or percussive hit, to me anyway, it doesn't "feel" quite as quick as the Utopia, Stellia, or SR009s.

So, these are definitely up there, and these are among the last pieces of audio gear I'd ever be willing to give up if ever desperate. But... as amazing as it is, I'd say that it might not be as big a "revelation" as some might think.
FWIW, I found the opposite and sold my Utopias.

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #4,367 of 6,066
Two quick question for 1200 owners:-

1) If you slowly reduce the volume does the stereo image pan to the right at close to zero volume? About 90 degree turn from off and it’s fine, less than that it goes far to the right. I have a new one which does this but I don’t recall my first one doing it.
(Not sure if this would be an amp or headphone issue)

2) Any decent cases for the amp?

Mar 14, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,368 of 6,066
I don't have mine available now, but that is a common occurrence with amps in general. It's not a flaw.

Mar 14, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #4,371 of 6,066
Most of the preamps or integrated amps I've had over the years for my speakers start it one channel and eventually even out as the volume goes up. Its usually as the volume is very low. Is there a way that you can attenuate the source going into the amp?

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #4,372 of 6,066
Most of the preamps or integrated amps I've had over the years for my speakers start it one channel and eventually even out as the volume goes up. Its usually as the volume is very low. Is there a way that you can attenuate the source going into the amp?
It isn’t an issue as I can attenuate the source. Just checking as the item is still in warranty and i’m curious how other owners amps behave :)

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #4,373 of 6,066
Two quick question for 1200 owners:-

1) If you slowly reduce the volume does the stereo image pan to the right at close to zero volume? About 90 degree turn from off and it’s fine, less than that it goes far to the right. I have a new one which does this but I don’t recall my first one doing it.
(Not sure if this would be an amp or headphone issue)

2) Any decent cases for the amp?

1. No. My kse1500 doesn't any at all.
Perfect balance both volume and FR (FR, 20 to 7000Hz)

2. Many 1200 owner use 1500 ampcase for his/her unit.

P.S
lossing 1500 is a big heart attack. I lost the earpiece.
Today local dealer will answer they can partially provide me an earpiece or not or if I have to order a full system.
Life is difficult without it, once you use it

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #4,376 of 6,066
I would appreciate anyone else commenting on balance at low volumes for the KSE1200. I’ve contacted Shure but not heard back yet.
Try another 3.5 to 3.5 interconnect yet?
It may be near-short circuit one (faulty)

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #4,378 of 6,066
Alas, both cables I've tried do it.
"Low volume" is of the amp kse or of the source?
Bcs one of them is possible to have low listening level.
Btw check your souce balance L/R at low level and also check with mono source as a smartphone's 3.5

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #4,379 of 6,066
It's quite common for volume controls to do this at the very end of their range. Its only if it's in a range that you would actually use day to day where it's worth worrying about.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #4,380 of 6,066
A tangential topic: there is a tendency, when lowering volumes, for bass and treble to drop faster than mid range frequencies. I do like amps that compensate for this with an automatic EQ adjustment to compensate and retain bass and treble frequencies when lowering overall volume. The KSE1200 energizer doesn't have that feature built in.

It's not related to the pan-right issue mentioned, but I find myself using amps that do provide this compensation. Digital McIntosh amps have this feature (not sure if the older McIntosh amps do it). Some Windows apps have it as well. The RME ADI-2 DAC has it. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the Brooklyn DAC/amp has this feature, but could have misread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back