Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 2, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,156 of 6,080
Got a Chord Mojo and want to stack it with my KSE1500 AMP. Do not have my silicon/rubber bands anymore - anyone has a good solution? Can you order new ones from Shure or third party?

You can order them. I have a part number, 65A25833, but I'm not 100% certain if that's Shure's part number, or a part number that's specific to the Canadian distributor. They're like $5 or thereabouts.

Jan 4, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #4,158 of 6,080
Jan 5, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #4,160 of 6,080
1st pic is activo lying on kse.
Not much smaller than sp1k - kse combo but much much lighter.
No sacrifice sq for the weight.
Technical side, spk try to give best each item of quality sound.
But CT10 bring a difference sound which may less technical but ease to listen thanks to very high detail of kse (so dap's could be less require of it)

P.S other pics is about stacking method dap-
20190105_192641.jpg
20190103_181111.jpg
20190103_192822.jpg
amp

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #4,163 of 6,080
Well boy is it cumbersome. You’ll have to plug 3 times instead of one. Setting volume and -10db on the unit. Setting stuff on the lg (awesome DAC there). You’ll have to watch for cables not to bend (it’s $2000 after all). And also carrying that unit.

Don’t get me wrong, sound is gorgeous. But it’s way more inconvenient than what you’ve used to. On the go, probably, you’ll end up using se846 most of the time leaving kse to office, home and long sitting commutes (plane, taxi, etc.).

It’s like long tea ceremony. Not for every time you want to drink.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #4,164 of 6,080
...It’s like long tea ceremony. Not for every time you want to drink.
That's a pretty accurate statement as an owner of a KSE1200; when I need to grab something, I reach for my CL2s...

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,165 of 6,080
Well boy is it cumbersome. You’ll have to plug 3 times instead of one. Setting volume and -10db on the unit. Setting stuff on the lg (awesome DAC there). You’ll have to watch for cables not to bend (it’s $2000 after all). And also carrying that unit.

Don’t get me wrong, sound is gorgeous. But it’s way more inconvenient than what you’ve used to. On the go, probably, you’ll end up using se846 most of the time leaving kse to office, home and long sitting commutes (plane, taxi, etc.).

It’s like long tea ceremony. Not for every time you want to drink.

I don't drink tea, and hardly ever get taxis or planes.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #4,166 of 6,080
I don't drink tea, and hardly ever get taxis or planes.

If most of the time you listen to music while on the go (like I do), KSE is not the best choice. You just can’t take your phone and go around (you’ll have to take two devices and watch two cables). Every time I stand up at the office I need to unplug headphones instead of just getting the phone (as with ordinary earbuds) with me.

Though after I bought KSE I hardly ever touch iSine 20 (and every time I do, I feel guilty like I’m listening to Airpods). Interstingly, this distinction only developed after several weeks (at first, like many owners, I haven’t noticed much improved sound quality). Back to tea-coffee analogy: it’s only after a while of good tea-coffee you start immediatly notice how bad sachet tea-instant coffee is. Not the other way around.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4,167 of 6,080
If most of the time you listen to music while on the go (like I do), KSE is not the best choice. You just can’t take your phone and go around (you’ll have to take two devices and watch two cables). Every time I stand up at the office I need to unplug headphones instead of just getting the phone (as with ordinary earbuds) with me.

Though after I bought KSE I hardly ever touch iSine 20 (and every time I do, I feel guilty like I’m listening to Airpods). Interstingly, this distinction only developed after several weeks (at first, like many owners, I haven’t noticed much improved sound quality). Back to tea-coffee analogy: it’s only after a while of good tea-coffee you start immediatly notice how bad sachet tea-instant coffee is. Not the other way around.
I totally agree. :L3000::L3000:

Back to the good tea/coffee discussion, after drinking 'coffee' via a good capsule machine (not Keurig), I can't drink regular coffee anymore. Same reason I can't listen to airpods.

Your comment about how it sometimes takes time to appreciate quality is interesting and makes me ponder comments/discussions that people have made when comparing inexpensive headphones to much more expensive ones and also the comparison between MP3s and hi-res files.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #4,168 of 6,080
and also the comparison between MP3s and hi-res files.

I believe in measurements and statistical significance. That’s why I choose KSE1200. Also that’s why I bought $100 topping d30 DAC instead of mojo or schiit. Also that’s why I believe lg’s DAC is good. And why listening from Apple music via lightning dongle is really-really great option on the go (SINAD is ≈ the same as mojo! and with KSE we don’t need the amplifier, just the decent external dac).

As for hi-res, it’s the same: if I cannot spot the difference with statistical significance in controlled environment, itunes AAC just as good for me. I belive in jitter and sinad DAC qualities; other “marketing” — not so much. Though I listen to lossless classics on Idagio (but only because I like their app and catalogue).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #4,170 of 6,080
For me, owning the 846 and the 1200 is ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back