Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 18, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #4,126 of 6,081
How effective is it when you're carrying your device in your pocket?

If thinking like that you can ask a same question to Brimar audio when they stick their round pad on chip top face, inside the mojo dac. They call it mod for mojo.
I am user, not much understood how piezon material works... I guess it is something like dynamic to electric energy transfering and just use it.

Your question is right.
I think of the same, but I didnt digging how it works when in my pocket - a soft enviroinment.
The pad use on many surface as in manual where it contact to the air so how does it work (kill vibratio) may be product's maker can answer
Did you know each time touching the dap screen (my dap is sp1k, said about it, not sure if others daps) it make a audio noise? I seems to like put my dap upside down when I listen to it.
Some headfi here also comment they feel the difference if daps in cover compare to no cover use...
Those things are questionable.

I dont know how much it effect on my dap BUT I wont peel of it out of the dap, and kse too.

For my desktop amp, hdvd800 I can tell more about effect and where to stick those pad.
Stranging to the pad, I use it as extra usage that didnt write by Japanes company : stick on a cd! Ofcouse I must hear some diference.
After I found this wonderful thing, I go to their website to digging and found : there is exactly a special product to do the job - stick on cd (or magnet piece holder to keep the disc)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #4,128 of 6,081
So... not sure if anyone has tried double amping with the KSE especially with tubes...I did a pretty fun experiment with the ALO CV5 and 6BF7...

I stacked the WM1Z / CV5 with 6BF7 and the KSA1500 and the KSE1500 gave me something exceptional oh my this brings so much to the KSE which become much more organic sounding with astounding bass that EQ won’t get you. Sure, it’s double amping but man, this is something to behold...

Dec 25, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #4,129 of 6,081
So... not sure if anyone has tried double amping with the KSE especially with tubes...I did a pretty fun experiment with the ALO CV5 and 6BF7...

I stacked the WM1Z / CV5 with 6BF7 and the KSA1500 and the KSE1500 gave me something exceptional oh my this brings so much to the KSE which become much more organic sounding with astounding bass that EQ won’t get you. Sure, it’s double amping but man, this is something to behold...

Yes, I've also found that KSE likes double amping. Generally electrostatics in general like it, as I've found, it also helps SR-009 for example. Or playing in balanced mode. It's a shame that KSE does not allow balanced mode - even though its cable is in fact balanced 6-pin.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #4,131 of 6,081
Question for you or any other Sensaphonics owners out there: which of the provided Shure tips sounds/measures the closest to the Sensaphonic sleeves? Maybe the triple flanged? Or the plastic ones? I want to send my KSE1200 to Sonarworks, but they don't measure CIEM. They will measure with standard tips, but I really want to get some Sensaphonics for these.

Thanks!

Nate

CIEMs cost more than KSE1200 or 1500? :) Really depends on the model (link). Or even cheaper.

Acrylic CIEMs don't isolate as much as I would like them too, agreed. My T8ie with comply isolate better.

But you may go for silicone CIEM, which isolate really good. I don't think that anything may isolate better. And that's my choice, I've changed my KSE into an electrostatic CIEM using both Snugs and Sensaphonics. The latter sounds better to me. That's an end game for me.

Even acrylic CIEMs isolate quite well. Also KSE doesn't have such a good fit with foams, at least in my ears (I have a big concha and KSE doesn't really fill it; maybe some of you have different experience here).

Again, there is at least something :)

EDIT: also many CIEM companies have demo units to try. Full CIEM will probably sound even better than the demo, having a better fit and better bass extension.

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #4,132 of 6,081
Question for you or any other Sensaphonics owners out there: which of the provided Shure tips sounds/measures the closest to the Sensaphonic sleeves? Maybe the triple flanged? Or the plastic ones? I want to send my KSE1200 to Sonarworks, but they don't measure CIEM. They will measure with standard tips, but I really want to get some Sensaphonics for these.
Thanks!
Nate

Hi Nate, I find that the best alternatives to deep-nozzle full shells are either Comply foams or Westone foams. The latter may be even better, depending on your ear canal and concha size etc. Westones tend muffles the upper treble resonance. Comply should be also personally tested whether you prefer the round ball-type or the straight ones.

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #4,133 of 6,081
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #4,134 of 6,081
I recently learned about MiniDSP's EARs measurement rig - was thinking about picking one up to build a convolution filter for Roon, which I use to do the majority of my listening. I already use their mic to build convolution filters for my living room (Kef LS50w) and bedroom (Naim Muso) systems to good effect.

Has anyone done this? Reading reviews It seems the jury's out on its effectiveness for in-ears esp. in getting a seal or whatnot, but I haven't been able to find examples of people attempting to use it on the KSE and how much its results confirm or diverge from measurements already in the public domain.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4,135 of 6,081
Thanks. So to be clear, you find these tips to be the most similar to the eq of the sensaphonics? I'm not looking to tame high end or anything, but instead to get the closest eq response to the sensaphonics.

Hi Nate, I find that the best alternatives to deep-nozzle full shells are either Comply foams or Westone foams. The latter may be even better, depending on your ear canal and concha size etc. Westones tend muffles the upper treble resonance. Comply should be also personally tested whether you prefer the round ball-type or the straight ones.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #4,136 of 6,081
I recently learned about MiniDSP's EARs measurement rig - was thinking about picking one up to build a convolution filter for Roon, which I use to do the majority of my listening. I already use their mic to build convolution filters for my living room (Kef LS50w) and bedroom (Naim Muso) systems to good effect.

Has anyone done this? Reading reviews It seems the jury's out on its effectiveness for in-ears esp. in getting a seal or whatnot, but I haven't been able to find examples of people attempting to use it on the KSE and how much its results confirm or diverge from measurements already in the public domain.

I had/have EARS and there even are my measurements of KSE here on the forum (in a separate thread). I should delete them. Since buying a proper IEC compliant measurement rig, it's clear that these measurements are not close to reality very much. They may give a hint, but are not good.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,137 of 6,081
Thanks. So to be clear, you find these tips to be the most similar to the eq of the sensaphonics? I'm not looking to tame high end or anything, but instead to get the closest eq response to the sensaphonics.

Well it's hard for me to say what is "close" to sensaphonics. I'd say: nothing.

In terms of measurements, every KSE tip is "similar" by a +/- 5 dB margin :)

On the other hand, this margin makes many tips too harsh to listen to (i.e. Spinfit).

Also it's not only about frequency response. Sensaphonics makes really long nozzles and there are superb effects due to that. The 9-10 kHz resonance peak moves into 12-14 kHz, but also there is less air inside the ear, thus the sound has better control. It's like it was directly implanted onto the eardrum.

It's hard to measure sensaphonics even with a IEC rig since they are a CIEM. But as I say: they may even measure similar to something, but still sound not the same as tips. Nothing sounds SIMILAR to them.

Maybe that would help you? Look how the measurements change in the higher registers. Sensaphonics here:

Zrzut ekranu 2018-12-28 o 20.09.02.png Zrzut ekranu 2018-12-28 o 20.10.12.png
Just a quick comparison with EE Zeus XR w/ ADEL module CIEM reshelled by Ambient Acoustics Ukraine:
Zrzut ekranu 2018-12-28 o 20.10.46.png
At last, a comparison of every tip that makes sense. Ignore the 200 Hz bumps (electricity). Olives are the brightest, Comply is a bit darker (better!), Westone is the darkest*, Sensaphonics is the flattest.
*The longest westone was used here and pushed very far. Not everyone has canals so straight to be able to insert these so deeply. I remember being fond of other Westone foam, a similar one - long but medium sized, but was never able to push it so far, so we cut it (badly) and later threw it away, so I can't measure it for you. I suppose the resonance peak normally would move closer to 10 kHz and similar in quantity making it also pretty flat. As you may see, these guys may measure it wrongly and give you misdirection so be aware.
Zrzut ekranu 2018-12-28 o 20.16.42.png

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #4,138 of 6,081
Dec 28, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #4,139 of 6,081
This is great, thanks. So basically no tip matches what the Sensaphonics does freq wise.

I wonder if the triple flanged would be closer, since the insertion is so deep?

Well it's hard for me to say what is "close" to sensaphonics. I'd say: nothing.

In terms of measurements, every KSE tip is "similar" by a +/- 5 dB margin :)

On the other hand, this margin makes many tips too harsh to listen to (i.e. Spinfit).

Also it's not only about frequency response. Sensaphonics makes really long nozzles and there are superb effects due to that. The 9-10 kHz resonance peak moves into 12-14 kHz, but also there is less air inside the ear, thus the sound has better control. It's like it was directly implanted onto the eardrum.

It's hard to measure sensaphonics even with a IEC rig since they are a CIEM. But as I say: they may even measure similar to something, but still sound not the same as tips. Nothing sounds SIMILAR to them.

Maybe that would help you? Look how the measurements change in the higher registers. Sensaphonics here:

Just a quick comparison with EE Zeus XR w/ ADEL module CIEM reshelled by Ambient Acoustics Ukraine:

At last, a comparison of every tip that makes sense. Ignore the 200 Hz bumps (electricity). Olives are the brightest, Comply is a bit darker (better!), Westone is the darkest*, Sensaphonics is the flattest.
*The longest westone was used here and pushed very far. Not everyone has canals so straight to be able to insert these so deeply. I remember being fond of other Westone foam, a similar one - long but medium sized, but was never able to push it so far, so we cut it (badly) and later threw it away, so I can't measure it for you. I suppose the resonance peak normally would move closer to 10 kHz and similar in quantity making it also pretty flat. As you may see, these guys may measure it wrongly and give you misdirection so be aware.

Dec 28, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,140 of 6,081
This is great, thanks. So basically no tip matches what the Sensaphonics does freq wise.

I wonder if the triple flanged would be closer, since the insertion is so deep?

Well, nope. It's made from a material that makes it sound harsh / strange and is recommended by nobody :wink: It also resonates ugly. Maybe some other kind of triple flange. But in my experiments different triple flanges were never satisfactory. The biggest problem in KSE is to either move the 9-10 kHz resonance to the higher octave or to flatten it out completely. That's what sensaphonics does, basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back