Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #4,111 of 6,085
I found my notes from July: In line out mode, 0.7V and 0 dB padding still clips on some of my high dynamic recordings. 0.7V and -10 dB avoids clipping, but sounds flat. 1V with -10 dB padding is clean.

Problem with 1V line out mode is that I don't know how much more it can go without clipping. I ended up using variable with volume at 138 which is probably around 1.3V. All AK DAPs don't have a "true" line out port. It's the same amp circuitry as the headphone out. The top end models have true line out that bypasses headphone amp circuitry but it's only usable by addon devices that connect with the bottom line out connectors like the AK3xx amp. As of today there are no such addon devices for SP1000.

Sony DAPs that use the S Master digital amp are similar to Chord Mojo and Hugo where the headphone out is really a true variable line output with no separate headphone amp circuit.
Thanks a lot! Very helpful information. I didn't expect that the KSE1200 with sp1000 clips even at 0.7v level line out. Was this the main reason you switched to the Sony 1z? Yeah, I know SP1000 doesn't have a true line out. Probably the miss-matched impedances between the SP1000's line out and the KSE1200's line in lead to this clipping problem. Then I will have to wait for A&K to release a SP1000 AMP to get a true line out...

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4,113 of 6,085
Was this the main reason you switched to the Sony 1z?

As a source for the KSE1200 I think 1z and SP1000 are comparable as long as you optimize the line in level. I think the Hugo 2 is the best pairing with KSE out of the three portable sources I've tried. My decision to sell off the SP1000 and the Hugo 2 was my giving up on using the KSE for portable use. It was too much of a hassle IMHO. Right now my KSE is my "closed" headphone for home for when I can't listen to my Utopias. I'm pretty happy with it and use the variable line out from my iCan Pro which also gives me a touch of tubes.

My decision to keep the 1z was mostly due to 5 things that AK DAPs don't have:
  • BT Receiver mode. 1z can connect to a BT source with all of the latest Hi Res standards. Great for watching videos from my iPad with no lag.
  • 20+ hours of battery life. On many short business trips, I don't even need to charge the 1z.
  • USB DAC mode with battery charging disabled. Allows 1z to connect to any portable transport without drawing power.
  • The 4.4 TRRRS plug is superior to the 2.5mm TRRS in every way.
  • Sort by Album Artist instead of Track Artist. Been waiting 4+ years for AK to add this simple sort so gave up.
Of course if you are a Tidal fan or need WIFI functionality, the Sony DAPs are not for you.

Dec 15, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #4,114 of 6,085
As a source for the KSE1200 I think 1z and SP1000 are comparable as long as you optimize the line in level. I think the Hugo 2 is the best pairing with KSE out of the three portable sources I've tried. My decision to sell off the SP1000 and the Hugo 2 was my giving up on using the KSE for portable use. It was too much of a hassle IMHO. Right now my KSE is my "closed" headphone for home for when I can't listen to my Utopias. I'm pretty happy with it and use the variable line out from my iCan Pro which also gives me a touch of tubes.

My decision to keep the 1z was mostly due to 5 things that AK DAPs don't have:
  • BT Receiver mode. 1z can connect to a BT source with all of the latest Hi Res standards. Great for watching videos from my iPad with no lag.
  • 20+ hours of battery life. On many short business trips, I don't even need to charge the 1z.
  • USB DAC mode with battery charging disabled. Allows 1z to connect to any portable transport without drawing power.
  • The 4.4 TRRRS plug is superior to the 2.5mm TRRS in every way.
  • Sort by Album Artist instead of Track Artist. Been waiting 4+ years for AK to add this simple sort so gave up.
Of course if you are a Tidal fan or need WIFI functionality, the Sony DAPs are not for you.
Wow, very helpful comments on the pros and cons of SP1000. Thank you so much! Points 1-4 also trouble me quite a lot.

Dec 15, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #4,115 of 6,085
my giving up on using the KSE for portable use. It was too much of a hassle IMHO.

Just want to point out that for those who prefer the Mojo when out and about (ie. in semi-portable mode), the KSE amp stacks perfectly, just slightly less wide and a bit longer than the Mojo. Over the past several years I've been the type of portable user who mostly streams from my laptop -> transportable dac/amp -> IEM/portable closed headphones, as listening to a head-fi rig is something I do while working. With a 12 hour battery life it's only marginally less convenient than traditional IEMs when used like this - takes about 30 seconds longer to set-up and break-down. I charge both my Mojo and KSE amp at the same time when at home. From researching this thread it seems like the Mojo is one of more preferred pairings. It's been a total dream setup for me, to get this type of fidelity in such a convenient setup.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #4,116 of 6,085
So I just joined the KSE1500 owners club, thanks to @Mimouille that I purchased it from and @popof94 who had me audition his last week... note that I have never heard any electrostatic before so there is that but it was love at first listen, I didn’t experience what some reported (that the KSE is an acquired taste).

If there was one word : transparency!!! This is the most strikingly transparent listen I ever had, period. In fact it redefines transparency for me and is in another league from anything else I have heard in that respect (again I haven’t heard the Stax).

I was really surprised at how full sounding those were, I expect them to be quite thinner and also brighter... but not at all. They’re so airy but full sounding which seems like a contradiction to my brain sometimes. And the speed... those transients are out of this world beautiful.

Bass is not lacking contrary to what I had read sometimes, great extension and amazing speed. Soundstage is recording dependent but with good stuff it sure delivers the goods, as well as imaging... it's really close to hearing the real thing! The realism on those is just stellar... I cycled through different genres and was impressed and in awe. A lot of great hours ahead :D

The striking thing is it's not about the IEM, the tuning, it's about the music pure and untouched... it sounds just perfectly "right". Not like a BA IEM, or a DD, or a full size headphone... just like a conduit to pure music. Really unique...

I use the KSE1500 with the 1Z lineout and the nice stack with DX120 on the go is perfectly size matched... the iPhone with the KSA1500 works pretty well too, quite nice to be able to enjoy them even leaving the DAP behind :)

So far I use EQ bypass and -10dB padding with lineout.
EQ Flat with the iPhone.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #4,117 of 6,085
20181217_184720.jpg
20181215_190801.jpg
20181215_182500.jpg
Someone did these before?
20181210_221452.jpg
20181209_143215.jpg

Attachments

• 20181215_190756.jpg
    20181215_190756.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181215_182447.jpg
    20181215_182447.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181209_143255.jpg
    20181209_143255.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #4,118 of 6,085
Nice @TYATYA, I use 3M Dual Lock Thin to stack and it’s really nice as well, DX120 is really sized to stack on the go with the KSA1500

06282B89-06BA-46FE-9D65-1619F3992BA3.jpeg

Dec 17, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #4,119 of 6,085
Nice @TYATYA, I use 3M Dual Lock Thin to stack and it’s really nice as well, DX120 is really sized to stack on the go with the KSA1500

:D
That was not covering or sticking purpose. Black pad in my pics are piezon material. Pls try it. It is wonderful !
I hear both dynamic hd800s and e.stat kse1500 and always feel a gap of clearity and detail between them.
When stick piezon pad on cover of head amp, it bring dynamic hd800s closer to e.stat one.

Ps. I thought people are doing as below were crazy in the pass but not now any more :D

Ps2. For those who care, TA32 is suitable for mobile devices. I order TA102 which is too thick, it broke my case of sp1000 when I try to put th unit back in the case

http://www.foq.jp/foqhp_e/product/ta32.html
SmartSelect_20181217-185805_Facebook.jpg SmartSelect_20181217-185813_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #4,120 of 6,085
:D
That was not covering or sticking purpose. Black pad in my pics are piezon material. Pls try it. It is wonderful !
I hear both dynamic hd800s and e.stat kse1500 and always feel a gap of clearity and detail between them.
When stick piezon pad on cover of head amp, it bring dynamic hd800s closer to e.stat one.

Ps. I thought people are doing as below were crazy in the pass but not now any more :D

Ps2. For those who care, TA32 is suitable for mobile devices. I order TA102 which is too thick, it broke my case of sp1000 when I try to put th unit back in the case

http://www.foq.jp/foqhp_e/product/ta32.html
How effective is it when you're carrying your device in your pocket?

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4,121 of 6,085
So I just joined the KSE1500 owners club, thanks to @Mimouille that I purchased it from and @popof94 who had me audition his last week... note that I have never heard any electrostatic before so there is that but it was love at first listen, I didn’t experience what some reported (that the KSE is an acquired taste).

If there was one word : transparency!!! This is the most strikingly transparent listen I ever had, period. In fact it redefines transparency for me and is in another league from anything else I have heard in that respect (again I haven’t heard the Stax).

I was really surprised at how full sounding those were, I expect them to be quite thinner and also brighter... but not at all. They’re so airy but full sounding which seems like a contradiction to my brain sometimes. And the speed... those transients are out of this world beautiful.

Bass is not lacking contrary to what I had read sometimes, great extension and amazing speed. Soundstage is recording dependent but with good stuff it sure delivers the goods, as well as imaging... it's really close to hearing the real thing! The realism on those is just stellar... I cycled through different genres and was impressed and in awe. A lot of great hours ahead :D

The striking thing is it's not about the IEM, the tuning, it's about the music pure and untouched... it sounds just perfectly "right". Not like a BA IEM, or a DD, or a full size headphone... just like a conduit to pure music. Really unique...

I use the KSE1500 with the 1Z lineout and the nice stack with DX120 on the go is perfectly size matched... the iPhone with the KSA1500 works pretty well too, quite nice to be able to enjoy them even leaving the DAP behind :)

So far I use EQ bypass and -10dB padding with lineout.
EQ Flat with the iPhone.

Nice setup! Did you use -10 dB padding with the DX120 line out?

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #4,122 of 6,085
Nice setup! Did you use -10 dB padding with the DX120 line out?

Yes I did, otherwise you get some clipping the first audition I didn’t know yet how to tweak the AMP/DAC so I had clipping.
I checked @jude tips since and now I am set :)

Actually I like the pairing the DX120 is a different flavor from the 1Z and there is room for both, DX120 is highly portable on top of that...

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #4,123 of 6,085
This is my favourite setup. I happily traded Ultima Cu for Sp1000M to have it in a more transportable package. This sandwich easily fits in my pocket and probably weights less than WM1Z. Also sometimes I prefer to use a longer 60cm interconnect and put source in one pocket and KSE in the other. That's how I used it with Sp1000 Cu... Ultima is the best source for KSE as it's most neutral and almost Hugo2 quality wise. WM1Z is also very good in that department, only heavy, but matches KSE amp body better than Ultima Cu in terms of "sandwich". KSE is an endgame for me in this setup with Sensaphonics custom full shells.
Zdjęcie 18.12.2018, 08 49 24.jpg Zdjęcie 18.12.2018, 11 13 48.jpg
This is my second favourite, Lime Ears Aether with pure silver TWAG cable and AK380SS, with which it has synergy.
Zdjęcie 17.12.2018, 18 44 15.jpg

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #4,124 of 6,085
This is my favourite setup. I happily traded Ultima Cu for Sp1000M to have it in a more transportable package. This sandwich easily fits in my pocket and probably weights less than WM1Z. Also sometimes I prefer to use a longer 60cm interconnect and put source in one pocket and KSE in the other. That's how I used it with Sp1000 Cu... Ultima is the best source for KSE as it's most neutral and almost Hugo2 quality wise. WM1Z is also very good in that department, only heavy, but matches KSE amp body better than Ultima Cu in terms of "sandwich". KSE is an endgame for me in this setup with Sensaphonics custom full shells.

This is my second favourite, Lime Ears Aether with pure silver TWAG cable and AK380SS, with which it has synergy.

Great Combo!!!
You have a great source of digital.
Just try to use SP100 via USB!!!!!!
It will be great experience and great sound from it.)))

Dec 18, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #4,125 of 6,085
Great Combo!!!
You have a great source of digital.
Just try to use SP100 via USB!!!!!!
It will be great experience and great sound from it.)))

Well, no... KSE has a very weak DAC :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back