Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Dec 5, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #3,256 of 6,059
I took my iPhone X and my KSE 1500 to Shure UK today. By the time I had got there the spare KSE1500 had gone out but we did try a new cable and the popping stopped. Sure then tried with the old cable and they could hear it immediately, swapping it back and it stopped. I left with the new cable and a happy heart.
Sadly this evening, the popping is back, only with the iPhone X and never using my Hugo 2. Both Share and Drew think that the KSE1500 is not compatible with the iPhone X, or at least it isn't until Apple fix the issue. Are there any X users out there having no problems? I cannot really understand why the Hugo 2 does not hear the pop but the KSE1500 does.

I have a X (and a 7), I'll try tomorrow to see if I can reproduce the problem, but I don't know if it have the cable that comes with the KSE1500.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #3,260 of 6,059
hi @plinth,
I've been listening for few song with my iPhone X and the KSE1500 using the shire cable, I don't have any popping.
I used the Apple Music app, tidal and the onkyo app with some flac files.
Very many thanks. This is encouraging as it suggests that the problem is soluble.

I guess I need to find another iPhone X and then another HSE1500.

I really appreciate your help.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #3,263 of 6,059
hi @plinth,
I've been listening for few song with my iPhone X and the KSE1500 using the shire cable, I don't have any popping.

Really?

giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy_s.gif
    giphy_s.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,266 of 6,059
Hi everybody!
Could you please help me with the next two issues I'm interested in:
1. Is it exist rating of eartips for KSEs?
2. Where could I find a guide for proper equalizer customization. I would like to add a little bit drive.

Thank you very much.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,267 of 6,059
Hi everybody!
Could you please help me with the next two issues I'm interested in:
1. Is it exist rating of eartips for KSEs?
2. Where could I find a guide for proper equalizer customization. I would like to add a little bit drive.

Thank you very much.
1) I posted some frequency-response measurements to show the effects of various ear-tips on the KSE1500:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-207#post-13714398
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shu...tatic-earphones.785377/page-213#post-13828869

2) The KSE1500 DAC/AMP has a built-in parametric EQ, so you can customize FR beyond the effect of the ear-tip if you need to.

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #3,268 of 6,059
I am having no luck eradicating the constant popping using my iPhone X; and based on the fact that Kubig123 has no problem with the same combination, and the fact that the new cable altered but did not solve the problem I have to now consider that the unit might be faulty. I will organise another trip to Shure and see what they say.

I have been listening to the KSE 1500 with my Hugo 2 and the sound is by far the best I have ever heard with a headphone. After reading this forum I assumed that I would need to increase the bass in the equaliser and probably use custom ear tips. I could not have been more wrong. The seal with the olives out of the box was superb and the tonal balance is remarkable. With no transducer generated overhang you are left with impactful, deep lightning quick bass, deep rich integrated mid-tones and a completely sweet clean top end. I did not want to spoil the magic by comparing to my HD800s but with the Hugo 2 that second output tempted me so I plugged both in and swapped over to the big Sennheiser. I observed three key differences, one, the stage was wider and airier, the bass disappeared from the bottom and mid range and the top end gained a harsh sibilance. It was a pleasure to go back to the KSE 1500. I had been so frustrated by the pops and ticks problem using the built in DAC I had not fully appreciated how gorgeous they sound. Also, I use no EQ as it just seems to be perfectly balanced with it bypassed, adding any to the bass seems to overblow the bottom registers.

Now I am doubly motivated to get the unit sorted.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,269 of 6,059
I am having no luck eradicating the constant popping using my iPhone X; and based on the fact that Kubig123 has no problem with the same combination, and the fact that the new cable altered but did not solve the problem I have to now consider that the unit might be faulty. I will organise another trip to Shure and see what they say.

I have been listening to the KSE 1500 with my Hugo 2 and the sound is by far the best I have ever heard with a headphone. After reading this forum I assumed that I would need to increase the bass in the equaliser and probably use custom ear tips. I could not have been more wrong. The seal with the olives out of the box was superb and the tonal balance is remarkable. With no transducer generated overhang you are left with impactful, deep lightning quick bass, deep rich integrated mid-tones and a completely sweet clean top end. I did not want to spoil the magic by comparing to my HD800s but with the Hugo 2 that second output tempted me so I plugged both in and swapped over to the big Sennheiser. I observed three key differences, one, the stage was wider and airier, the bass disappeared from the bottom and mid range and the top end gained a harsh sibilance. It was a pleasure to go back to the KSE 1500. I had been so frustrated by the pops and ticks problem using the built in DAC I had not fully appreciated how gorgeous they sound. Also, I use no EQ as it just seems to be perfectly balanced with it bypassed, adding any to the bass seems to overblow the bottom registers.

Now I am doubly motivated to get the unit sorted.
Probably an obvious suggestion, but are you able to take your KSE1500 into an Apple store to test it with another iPhone X?

Dec 9, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3,270 of 6,059
It is a good suggestion. I will either try a different iPhone X first, or a different kse1500. I have to believe that a fault is more likely in the headphones as opposed to the iPhone given that over 15 million are in use and I cannot find a google result for a similar crackle over the digital output. I guess it could be the lightning connector though as it seems to change its frequency of occurrence as I change cable or change orientation of the cable. All good thoughts though and thanks you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back