Shure E4C - Reviews, Opinions & Ramblings Thread
Jun 28, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #347 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHADYMILKMAN
not necessarily "sold out" but the units that they ordered have all been accounted for and pre ordered, and have been purchased, so thats why they are saying "sold out".

Actually the person meant specifically that the first sets that have been made were sent to some major company/distributer first and they already have them. Thats why the delay for them to get to the smaller dealers.

Jun 28, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #348 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperM3
Actually the person meant specifically that the first sets that have been made were sent to some major company/distributer first and they already have them. Thats why the delay for them to get to the smaller dealers.

Not suprising, most major retailers will have everything shipped to a main warehouse and will distribute to their individual locations from there. If the E4 is due out early July they would have to have been shipped out to the major retailers already.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #349 of 370
Do the shure e4's hiss with an amp? I was told 'that the bass would significantly improve with an amp' for the Ety 6i's by headroom, but all I get is hiss (which I was also told later by headroom is due to low impedance of the ety's).

Is an amp even necessary with the shures? (I'm using a 3rd gen 20g ipod, mostly). I like the articulation of the ety's, but i think it needs more bass, particularly for rock music. Maybe like 30-40% more bass. Will the shure's fit for this?

I just wanted to know about the amp incase they don't have quite the bass i was expecting.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #350 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy
Do the shure e4's hiss with an amp? I was told 'that the bass would significantly improve with an amp' for the Ety 6i's by headroom, but all I get is hiss (which I was also told later by headroom is due to low impedance of the ety's).

Is an amp even necessary with the shures? (I'm using a 3rd gen 20g ipod, mostly). I like the articulation of the ety's, but i think it needs more bass, particularly for rock music. Maybe like 30-40% more bass. Will the shure's fit for this?

I just wanted to know about the amp incase they don't have quite the bass i was expecting.

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't say an amp is necessary, they sound wonderful out of my Zen Xtra.

Regarding the bass, I wouldn't say they have 30-40% more bass than the Ety's (ER4s with amp) but since they have less treble you can turn the volume up a bit louder. With the higher volume in the mids and bass relative to treble, you should be able to achieve 20-30% more bass (IMO) without pushing the E4 into an uncomfortable or harmful volume level. FWIW I don't find the E4 bass deficient at all with my Zen (and I don't use an amp for portable listening).

Jul 4, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #351 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
With the higher volume in the mids and bass relative to treble, you should be able to achieve 20-30% more bass (IMO) without pushing the E4 into an uncomfortable or harmful volume level.

20-30% is good enough for me!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the shures are going on the 'buy before vacation' list!

will the shures hiss with an amp, though? Did anyone else have this problem with the Ety 6i's?

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #353 of 370
I've been playing with mine for 2 weeks now (e4c) and I absolutely hate it!
Anemic sound indeed (I'm a basshead) even out of my iriver h120. But the worst thing is they hurt my ears to the point i can't hear highs as well for the following 2-3 days. Just by inserting those phones without even playing music does that. And as it seems I can't return it so i'm stuck with a pair I'll never ever use.... Never more for me....

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #354 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by flibottf
Anemic sound indeed (I'm a basshead) even out of my iriver h120. But the worst thing is they hurt my ears to the point i can't hear highs as well for the following 2-3 days. Just by inserting those phones without even playing music does that. And as it seems I can't return it so i'm stuck with a pair I'll never ever use.... Never more for me....

that's what all canalphones feel like. you will get used to it in a couple weeks. not particular to the e4c

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #355 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishy
20-30% is good enough for me!
smily_headphones1.gif
I think the shures are going on the 'buy before vacation' list!

will the shures hiss with an amp, though? Did anyone else have this problem with the Ety 6i's?

I don't get any hiss with my amp, but my amp doesn't even hiss with the E5...

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #356 of 370
Quote:

You should be able to recover most of your cost if you sell them, but before you do, try them out with the foam tips. I wasn't completely sold on them until I switched to the foam tips.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #357 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
that's what all canalphones feel like. you will get used to it in a couple weeks. not particular to the e4c

I certainly hope this is not true!

My UE2 (and my ety 4P's) didn't 'hurt' my ears at all! You do have to get used to something in your ear canal, but if they are hurting your ears then the fit is bad. The UE Super-Fi Pro's didn't fit me well and I did get a bit sore.

I certainly can't image a pair of UE-10 being anything but comfortable as with all the other custom molded canalphones!

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #359 of 370
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I don't get any hiss with my amp, but my amp doesn't even hiss with the E5...

sweet. I was so peeved when i discovered it was a problem with the ety's, especially after headroom had advertised an amp as a great way to boost the bass with them. I'm defintely going to get the shures, then.

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #360 of 370
Quote:

I've been using ex70 and ex51 for years now.. i know they dont get in as much but still...

those are nothing compared to real canalphones. when i got the e2c's (after using ex71's for a year), they were the most uncomfortable things i'd ever worn. The way I described it is that i felt like my virgin ears had just gone to a p*rn shoot. My ear canals hurt like a b*tch whenever I put them in, for at least two weeks. Now I find them comfortable. You just have to get used to it. It is what all canalphones feel like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back