Shure E2c's...JUST got em!
Oct 23, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #61 of 84
Could someone describe the tangible differences between the E2 and the E1? The latter is about 50 dollars more; what is the difference in actual sound? The fact that the E1's are (even) lighter than the E2's is appealing to me.

Note that this is, as with many others, for use with an ipod.

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #62 of 84
The E1 has better highs, and imo a less attractive design. Dont worry about the weight, i just ran about 3 miles with the E2 on and you cannot even feel them, the foamies hold them in your ears extremely well. by FAR the best workout phone i can imagine.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #64 of 84
I haven't tried the etys for more than a minute or two but I can tell you that the E2s isolate very well. With music playing it is almost impossible to hear outside noise. Without music you can hear a little bit, but if there was anymore isolation it would be pretty spooky!
eek.gif

I was on a plane trip once and there was a kid about 5 that was having a screaming fit. It was very annoying as the boy had some set of lungs and he should have been old enough to know better. I put my E2s on and I was the only one in cattle class that had an enjoyable trip.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #65 of 84
Hey guys - Can anyone give me an idea as to the build quality of the E2? I had a set of ER6 for a brief while and one of the main reasons I got rid of them was that I was afraid I was going to break them - the cord was awfully thin and I couldn't tell how well it was attached to the canalphone itself. I liked the sound, but the durability scared me. I have worked with Shure professional products as a live sound mixer for many years and know that most if not all of their stuff is pretty durable.

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #66 of 84
I think the E2s are pretty durable. The cord is sturdy with a thick layer of insulation. While the drivers are housed in a plastic case, it's pretty durable too. I had a couple of mishaps that I'm almost ashamed to adimt but they still seem to be working fine.

One time, I had taken out the phones as I was walking to the train station on my way home. I was distracted by a friend of mine and thought I had tucked them into my brief case. However, I was alerted to the fact that I was dragging them on the ground by a passing pedestrian.

Also, I have a one year old daughter who seems to be fascinated with wires (a budding EE?
wink.gif
) and I had the E2s on my desk with the cord hanging down. Apparently, she must have pulled on the cord and the earpieces ended up on the floor as well. I turned to get up out of my chair and heard a "crunch" sound. I no! I looked to down to realize I had just stepped on one of the drivers. I think I may have cracked the seam on the housing but I don't see any cracks and there is no problem with the sound.

I'm not proud but I am happy!

Oct 23, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #67 of 84
The build quality of the Shure earphones are definitely a class above the Ety's...

When I got the ER-4 to review against the E5 (I owned an E2 as well before I upgraded to the E5)... the first thing that crossed my mind was, "These thing look so cheap!"...

Sound quality notwithstanding, the Shure E2's are much better built than either one of the Ety's...

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #69 of 84
yup, follow the directions for pulling your ear up/out, it works when done correctly.
i have found it's very easy to tell if you're doing it right, by putting the tip of your pinky (gently) into your ear, while doing the "pull".
your pinkie won't go far, but far enough that you'll be able to feel when your canal is straight. if it's not straight, you probably won't notice much difference in ease getting the phones in...

kell

Nov 30, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #71 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by milo
I think the Ety's and the Shure's do a fine job of keeping out unwanted noise. My fiance gets all pissy when I'm wearing them because she'll be in the other room hollering for me...(and of course I don't hear her)...she'll come running in the bedroom yelling "I hate those God Damn headphones!!"...then she'll start in with..."I hate those things...You can't hear me when I'm yellin at you!"...and I respond..."Yeah hun...that's why i bought em"...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you Milo.

I have like 20 posts up to be read yet, but I think I'll just be browsing them now.

Dec 1, 2003 at 3:20 AM Post #72 of 84
there's a mod for the e2c right? anyone of you tried it yet and noticed diffrence?

i think the mod supposedly makes the e2c sound up to par with er-4p

search for the mod,
"E2's Headphone Mod"
sry about not posting link, i screwed up my comp and now i can't copy/paste
redface.gif

either virus or some messed windows stuff. gotta reformat soon i guess...

Dec 14, 2003 at 4:29 AM Post #73 of 84
I just bought the E2c to find a better non amp phone after using ER-4S for a long time with my Headroom MOHR. I have a Sony Network Walkman and I also ordered the ER-6 to try out and decide for myself. I will say right of the bat I hat the clear rubber tips on the ER-6 vs. the white silicon rubber on the ER-4S. They seem a little more work to get on at first but seem better for activity than the Ety's. I think the ER-6 sounded further away with good definition, but not real low bass. I would have to say the Shure won just sounding fuller and more musical overall with my walkman.
etysmile.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #74 of 84
To lindrone
could you pls elaborate on:

"I find it next to impossible to jog with the ER-4, but you can jog with the E2c."

I own a pair of ety earplugs (not the 4p, but the stand alone earplug) that I use at the libarary and when my band pratices, and while I know what the microphonic noise is, I dont remeber getting a extremely distrubing noise when walking or breathing. In other words I think I know what you mean, but I am not sure, could you just elaborate why you find it so disturbing to walk and listen to ety's? Is there something there on these in canal phones noisewise that is perhaps not present on the stand alone ear plugs (ear plugs use the 3x flange tip if that matters..by the looks of it just like the ety's).

This forum is the bane of my wallet, I was pretty set on getting some Grado 225's and now I am also tempted on some shure e2/e3 (cant wait for reviews) and some Ety's for a more isolated application. I would use grado's for home. I bought some senn 200 about a month or two ago because they seemed to be the one size fits all, but ******* the upgrado bug hit me! I know im gonna end up getting the Grado rs-1 and Shure e5's in a year or two, after I have bought the Shure e3/ety 4p and grado 225! God help me!

Dec 14, 2003 at 7:43 PM Post #75 of 84
Well, it has to do with Ety's design. It's a straight through plug by default, which means it has wires that just hangs straight out and "tugs" on my ear whenever there's movement. It feels like the plug is constantly fighting to stay in, which means I'm constantly adjusting it to make sure it wouldn't fall out. Of course, I've never had it fall out, but I didn't want to take the risk of doing a test on them by "not" adjusting them and making sure they stay in.

Another, is the wire design of the Ety, which has a big connector where the two lines from the R and L plug meets. This big connector, unless properly clipped down, will ensure the extra weight will fly around and "bang" against things.. which further introduces incredibly annoying sound and weight tugging.

I'm usually wearing a t-shirt or something when I run... which means I can't find a good place to really clip them to. Clipping them to the collar is uncomfortable, arbitrary finding a spot on the shirt to clip them to is.. well.. stupid.

E2 has an over-the-ear design that helps to stabilize the wire and the overall fit. The E2 also rests inside your ear when it's properly inserted, so it's not "sticking out" like a little matchstick or something. There's a reason why all on-stage in-ear monitor has an over the ear design
wink.gif

The design of the plug doesn't affect how I feel about these earphones when running. The problem is mostly with the wire and fitting.

There are "over the ear" mods for the ER-4, with some stupid plastic zip-tie and such... but if you have to mod it to make it work that way, it didn't work well enough to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back