Shure E2c vs. Etymotic ER-6i
Dec 27, 2005 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
I am a noob to the forum/audiophile world, but I realize this topic has been beaten to death. I am looking to invest in some (relatively) nice in-ear earphones BUT I'm not going to be using an amp or altoids can or whatever the hell you hxc audiophiles use. I've read looots of reviews online and I've looked in countless threads here on this board about this very subject, but it doesn't seem like there's ever a consensus on the subject or like anyone can ever come to a decision. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to request some comparisons from first-hand accounts (be VERY direct, please; i.e. "x has better bass/lows than y, but y has better trebles/highs than x" or "x is uncomfortable" or "x is better for rock music") (bullet style would be nice? haha)

I realize the type of music one is listening to is important in deciding, so for your information, I usually listen to rock/indie rock and things of the sort. I listen to a tiny bit of rap/hip-hop... but it doesn't really steer too far from those two.

OH, I forgot to mention that I'll be using them with my 5th Gen iPod video. (mostly with music though.)

Dec 27, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 52
I have the Er6i and I am very happy with it. Normally I use them straight out of a 4th Gen Ipod Photo. While it is true driven by my AE-1 amp they sound better I find that by using the bass boost eq or the acoustic eq I am happy. Good luck.

Dec 27, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 52
just picked up e2c's to try them today. not too happy.

i guess my ear canals are somewhat small, because i even have some trouble fitting in the small sized foams, and i can definately not fit small sized rubber sleeves in my canal. the sound is pretty decent, just sounds like a really clear pair of earbuds, but still sounds like earbuds nonetheless. on top of that the left driver is deffective -_- it is extremely staticky on my ipod and is getting worse and worse, listened to em bout 2 hours now. i'm gonna return them tomorrow and maybe exchange them to see if my experience improves.

otherwise i will probably go with Sennheiser HD280 or Denon AH-D550

Dec 28, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 52
I have a set of Shure e2 earphones, and I could not be happier. I do feel as though they MUST be EQ'd a little. I used a custom EQ on my Rio Karma that made them sound straight up amazing. The iPod treble booster does help alot. Here are you bullets:

Good Stuff
  1. Good Bass
  2. Great Isolation

Bad Stuff
  1. Need EQ
  2. Can sound muddy

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari
I have a set of Shure e2 earphones, and I could not be happier. I do feel as though they MUST be EQ'd a little. I used a custom EQ on my Rio Karma that made them sound straight up amazing. The iPod treble booster does help alot. Here are you bullets:

Good Stuff
  1. Good Bass
  2. Great Isolation

Bad Stuff
  1. Need EQ
  2. Can sound muddy

hmm... that helps a bit. thanks. actually, what exactly do you mean by "muddy"?

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 52
Compared to the ER-6is, the E2Cs have a veiled high end, like a couple of blankets of the treble. Also, the bass is more prominent, making it sound "muddy". You can also call it a warm sound signature.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 52
Can't go wrong with either! ER-6i definitely won't have a moddy sound. However, the bass may not be as powerful as you expect, even from a line-out and through an amplifier.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 52
Having owned both. I prefer the ER-6i. They sound so crystal-clear to me. However, there were moments that I had a ton of fun rocking out with the e2c that I never had with the ER-6i.
etysmile.gif

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5
i guess my ear canals are somewhat small, because i even have some trouble fitting in the small sized foams, and i can definately not fit small sized rubber sleeves in my canal. the sound is pretty decent...

Same problems here. I wasn't entirely happy with them as well. I would give the ER-6i's a try. Their high's should be superior to the e2c's, I wouldn't worry to much about the bass, I didn't find it very tight with the e2c's either.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 52
I had the E2C's but I just couldn't get a proper fit and seal (even with the ultra-soft sleeves), and the loopy thing never agreed with me. The 6i's just insert in your ears and the tri-flanges offer superior isolation and are comfortable, and they also stay put!

Soundwise, I prefer the enhanced detail of the Etys and more natural, smooth sound. The only concern I have about the 6i's might be build quality, but that will take time to manifest itself.

Dec 28, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 52
I would recommend the E2c's with the Ipod. No amp required. You get a nice full sound with great bass (muddy...shmuddy?). These things NEVER sound like they are straining or that you are pushing them too hard. Any type of EQ adjustment ability will bring out the highs.

Dec 28, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity
OH, I forgot to mention that I'll be using them with my 5th Gen iPod video. (mostly with music though.)

5th ipod having good bass already. The er6i are the better choose. Give it 8 out of 10. 8 out of 10 people would take er6i over e2s.

The detail is better and bass isn't as muddy. If you were a real basshead, then maybe the er6i are the ones for you. Otherwise the fit and detail of the er6i are better.

This is after owning both and having testing many others.

Dec 28, 2005 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 52
If the ER6i's were as heavily discounted as the Shure's, I would gladly get them.
But at $50 for my E2's, I'm not complaining. Get the ultra soft sleeves they make a big difference. I do know a thing about the shure's ruggedness, they've been stepped on, yanked, rolled over and other than a lost sleeve, they survived. (I think it's because the cord is kinda long)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back