Shure E2c vs. Etymotic ER-6i
Jan 19, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #31 of 52
I love my Er-6i's. There is plenty of bass, and they are very comfortable with both the tripple flanges and the foam pieces. You really can "feel" the bass, but it is a very clean, precise bass. This is all directly from a 4g iPod without an amp. I payed $68.99 for my pair at buy.com. They were marked $93.99, but if you sign up for a Buy.com credit card, you get $25 off the order.

Jan 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 52
hi there!
as i have owned the e2cs and have the er6is now (with the 5G iPod), i can report from first hand: the etys are the better headphones, but not very fun sounding with rock IMO. i understand your problem very well... you hear all kinds of descriptions of the different sound characteristitics...and they are mostly adequate. but i have to second: you have to hear it, then you will recognize the differences immediately and go after your own taste. my suggestion: try the um1s. the etys may be too analytical for fun-listening, and the shures are a bit 'boring' but still good of course (plus: the shure build-quality is much better. and you don't have to wrap the cables around your ear if you don't want to) btw: unamped will be ok with all of these...

have fun...and try everything out that you can get your hands on!!!

edit: the shures were more comfortable for me, though bigger...

Jan 22, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #36 of 52
Thanks to all who have been putting in their input.

I think, after extensive reviews, the contest is now between the Westone UM1s and the Etymotic ER-6is.. I have to go now, but this is the final match up. I just want good sound quality with respectable bass (without EQ) and respectable treble once EQ'd with a treble booster on a G5 iPod. Alright, gotta go. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #37 of 52
I like the E2c. I know it's an entry-level canalphone, and it is veiled up top, but that veil pretty much guarantees fatigue-free listening (at sensible levels, of course). I just use it to listen to my FM radio, which is all compressed to hell anyway....

I found the clear plastic earpieces very uncomfortable and bought the optional black flex sleeves instead. Much better comfort and seal for me.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #41 of 52
For the 5G iPod go for the ER-6i's. The 5G iPod has a better in-built amp than all of the previous generations, the bass is phenominal and sound is very balanced and clear. They sound completely different when coupled with the 5G compared to the older gens. Definitely ER-6i's, no competition.

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari
I used a custom EQ on my Rio Karma that made them sound straight up amazing.

Care to share?

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #44 of 52
ER-6is going once.. going twice..........
confused.gif

does ANYONE want to challenge the ER-6i with the Westone UM1s at all anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back