Shure E2c vs. Etymotic ER-6i
Jan 18, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 52
ahh... it sounds like most of you are swaying towards the ER-6i's. still though, some people are insisting on Shure E2C's... I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the ER-6i's, but does anyone have any final words?

also, can anyone point me to websites that sell these in-ear earphones online? cheap as possible, please.

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity
ahh... it sounds like most of you are swaying towards the ER-6i's. still though, some people are insisting on Shure E2C's... I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the ER-6i's, but does anyone have any final words?

yea buy them both a do a review.

I am not quite sure what you are looking for. You never going to get a total majority. This one is about as close as it is going to come. Try a HD650 vs. RS1 or Shure E4 vs. UE pro. 5's.

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
yea buy them both a do a review.

I am not quite sure what you are looking for. You never going to get a total majority. This one is about as close as it is going to come. Try a HD650 vs. RS1 or Shure E4 vs. UE pro. 5's.

well, see, the problem is that my price range is probably around $80 or less.. I suppose I can go a bit higher if necessary, but that's the price range I'd like to stay at. the absolute highest would probably be around $110... I don't know if I can trust myself with something worth so much yet so fragile. I'd buy them both and test them out, but I don't think I can afford to get them both.. I'm looking for a decent pair of in-ear earphones that have good sound quality (highs and lows.. or whatever, considering an EQ can just about fix a problem like that), good isolation/canceling and are... $100 or less, give or take.

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #20 of 52
duckiedeity...

You mention that you want good quality highs and lows...

What is your personal definition of good quality?

If you mean that you can hear each little tonal change in the bass, the ER6i are great, but if you want to rock out, I personally think you're better off looking elsewhere...

What is your preference?

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 52
Well, Duncan... I'm not sure what I mean. I want what everyone else considers to be good highs/lows and whatnot. I am REALLY a noob to all of this, so I can't decide what's good and what's not by myself. I just want what's best for my price range and as I've read on various sites and threads on here, these seem to be the premiere pairs of choice for my general price range.

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 52
hi again...

to put it another way, do you prefer subwoofers tuned to the max, or a much more mellow approach?

there is no right, wrong, or noob answer, all up to personal preference
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 52
To me listening to the ER6i's has about the same impact in the bass as listening to a good bookshelf speaker with a single 6.5 inch woofer. It doesn't feel heavy in the bass but you can clearly hear it, but not feel it much.

The Shure sounds like the same booshelf speaker with the treble turned down 1/3 and the bass turned up 1/3.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 52
I have the E2c's, couldnt be happier with them. The sound is very full and rich, but the highs are a bit veiled, but if youre fairly new to this you wont be able to tell the difference between the ER6i's and the E2c's. The real question should be something along the lines of 'Which is more comfortable?' you know, the practical stuff.

The ER-6i's are a lot smaller than the E2's, so that could be a factor if you have small ears. Also, if and when you get a pair of either one, listen to them for a week or so before deciding, it does take a while to get used to IEM's.

Jan 18, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #25 of 52
Duncan, I suppose I would like the bassy subwoofer type sound, but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice hearing whatever's in the upper range. Would it be a good idea to get the ER-6i's and then add a treble booster EQ?

Jan 19, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity
Duncan, I suppose I would like the bassy subwoofer type sound, but I don't necessarily want to sacrifice hearing whatever's in the upper range. Would it be a good idea to get the ER-6i's and then add a treble booster EQ?

No, you want to get the E2c and then the treble booster. If you get the ER6i's and use a treble booster it will sound like somebody is peeing into a tin can.

I am completely satisfied with the e2c...except that the cable cracked in the area where it loops around the ears. I used electrical tape for now, but I think I will need a replacement. I would appreciate it if anybody else had this problem and could tell me whether or not they were able to get it replaced with Shure (I have heard they have excelllent customer service).

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro Point
Both are a great choice.
Though the E2c's have a bit veiled highs as some said.
My E2c's improved after burn-in and they sound even better amped.
The highs weren't as harsh, bass was more audible.

what does everyone mean when they say the highs are a bit veiled? as in.. weak? i assume this is the case.. it's silly for me to even be asking this.

Jan 19, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 52
I've decided that I actually am not in huge favor of a subwoofer type sound. I'd rather hear very clear bass tones so I could, say, hear the different notes of a bass guitar since I mostly listen to rock music. I still don't want to sacrifice clear upper tones though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back