SHURE CUTS THE CORD: RMCE-TW1 / TW2 - THE TRUE WIRELESS THREAD
May 19, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #61 of 590
Yea that's the question I'm struggling with, should I get this BT2 just to have a little less cables with me or just wait.

I got a similar response that the delay is in the weeks category. But of course no guarantee.

The BT2 has the advantage of offering volume buttons and might even be more compact in The pocket without the case... and it sounds quite good I have to say. At around 60€ not much is lost trying it out...

May 19, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #63 of 590
Yea that's the question I'm struggling with, should I get this BT2 just to have a little less cables with me or just wait.

I got a similar response that the delay is in the weeks category. But of course no guarantee.
The RMCE-BT2 is a steal at $50. There is no other compact receiver with inaudible noise floor for the SE846 unless you get the bulky box ones. It also has aptX Low latency and can be used with the Creative BT-W2 for gaming on mobile / console.

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #64 of 590
Thanks for all your initial impressions and updates on the recall situation! I do have one question considering maximum volume: How loud do these get?

I'm seriously considering the True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter for my SE535 once it gets re-released. My only concern would be that it may not be able to drive the SE535 loud enough (some readers of early reviews complained about this in the comments). While I don't listen super-loud, I need to crank up almost any In-ear Bluetooth headphones to maximum volume and disable any kind of audio level normalization (like in Spotify), to get to a volume level where I can enjoy listening to music (which is not the case when using wired headphones; mainly using an iPhone). Any info on that would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #65 of 590
Thanks for all your initial impressions and updates on the recall situation! I do have one question considering maximum volume: How loud do these get?

I'm seriously considering the True Wireless Secure Fit Adapter for my SE535 once it gets re-released. My only concern would be that it may not be able to drive the SE535 loud enough (some readers of early reviews complained about this in the comments). While I don't listen super-loud, I need to crank up almost any In-ear Bluetooth headphones to maximum volume and disable any kind of audio level normalization (like in Spotify), to get to a volume level where I can enjoy listening to music (which is not the case when using wired headphones; mainly using an iPhone). Any info on that would be much appreciated!

The TW1 does not get very loud nor does is sound very good with the SE846 or the SE535. And since they are also on recall right now I'd stay away from them until Shure fixes them.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #66 of 590
The TW1 does not get very loud nor does is sound very good with the SE846 or the SE535. And since they are also on recall right now I'd stay away from them until Shure fixes them.

Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity, did you use the ShurePlus Play App for iOS or Android? From the manual (see https://pubs.shure.com/guide/TW1/en-US) it looks like there's a gain setting that may help with overall volume. Apart from that in the CNET review it is mentioned that Shure wanted to implement an option for the user to select his/her exact Shure earphone model - maybe that'll help with audio quality? Not sure if it has been implemented before the product recall, though.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #68 of 590
Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity, did you use the ShurePlus Play App for iOS or Android? From the manual (see https://pubs.shure.com/guide/TW1/en-US) it looks like there's a gain setting that may help with overall volume. Apart from that in the CNET review it is mentioned that Shure wanted to implement an option for the user to select his/her exact Shure earphone model - maybe that'll help with audio quality? Not sure if it has been implemented before the product recall, though.

I used it with the iOS app with my iPhone 11 Pro Max, a MacBook and all the files are 320AAC from original uncompressed WAV files.The gain was of no help, its like using an equalizer where to much gain ruins the sound. The TW1 seems to stifle the SE846 IMO much like the BT2 and I didn't like that one either and stopped using it. I believe there isn't enough power to properly drive the SE846. It's also got other issues apparently that I haven't experienced so I can't comment on. I purchased mine straight from Shure as soon as they were available so I could write about it and just has I was getting my thoughts together (like 2 weeks later) Shure emailed every one who purchased from them that they are recalling it and issuing out a refund plus a $100.00 gift card. I sent mine back immediately because I was very disappointed with it. It has potential but it fails in the sound and call departments. Calls by the way can only be answered from one earbud (the left I think it was) and then the audio (music, podcast, etc) you were previously listening to would not resume to the other earbud after the call was ended. You would have to turn it off then on again to reconnect. The other issue is the uneven battery life that I believe some talked about here previously. I think that's because its a primary and slave setup were one earbud connects to your device and the other connects to the other earbud. My AirPods for example don't operate that way. Both are connected to the device and each other so battery life is closer to even unless you take one out and continue listening with the other. I saw lots of video about it and none of them really went into enough detail about the product but I guess that's because it wasn't out yet.

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #69 of 590
I used it with the iOS app with my iPhone 11 Pro Max, a MacBook and all the files are 320AAC from original uncompressed WAV files.The gain was of no help, its like using an equalizer where to much gain ruins the sound. The TW1 seems to stifle the SE846 IMO much like the BT2 and I didn't like that one either and stopped using it. I believe there isn't enough power to properly drive the SE846. It's also got other issues [...]

Thanks for going into the details, very much appreciated! While I can live with all the (at least for me) non-essential stuff (like manually pressing buttons for connecting or calls only on left earbud etc.) your description of the audio quality sure sounds very underwhelming and like a deal breaker ... I just don't get it how all the reviews were so positive about the audio quality aspect.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #70 of 590
Thanks for going into the details, very much appreciated! While I can live with all the (at least for me) non-essential stuff (like manually pressing buttons for connecting or calls only on left earbud etc.) your description of the audio quality sure sounds very underwhelming and like a deal breaker ... I just don't get it how all the reviews were so positive about the audio quality aspect.

I'm waiting for the TW1 to become available again myself, and my past experience with Shure, I don't think they'll let an infectious sounding product pass... due to the delay I recently bought the BT2, which sounds excellent to my ears and gives me ample volume headroom with the SE846

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #71 of 590
This is why I take everyone's reviews or opinions with a grain of salt (how large a grain depends on how accurate they've been in the past) because everyone's ears hear things slightly differently. The BT2 was ok in the beginning for me because it sounded so much better than the BT1 but then the design ultimately got on my nerves and I went back wires. That was when the sound really hit me and I purposely compared them and noticed how much the BT2 held it back. While it is tolerable, I didn't pay almost $1000 to not use these IEMs to their fullest potential. Then when I finally decided to by the DFC I really couldn't return to the BT2 even for convenience. Now I'm looking up cable upgrades to get the last 20-30 percent out of the the 846s. They are great IEMs like many others and anything that detracts from that just isn't fit to be used with IMHO. Unfortunately, these bluetooth add-ons don't seem to have enough to power these high-end IEMs. I'm not a professional reviewer but I do blog about many of the devices and things I use because I read so much that is just inaccurate or obviously a "paid" review or the writer simply didn't cover what I think was an important aspect in the decision making process. So like anything else, read as many reviews as you can and look for the 1 or how many say something completely opposite and why. At the end of the day if you like it and it works for you it doesn't really matter what. If you wish you can read my thoughts about them here.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #72 of 590
I'm waiting for the TW1 to become available again myself, and my past experience with Shure, I don't think they'll let an infectious sounding product pass... due to the delay I recently bought the BT2, which sounds excellent to my ears and gives me ample volume headroom with the SE846
That's cool. I don't care for the sound that much nor do I think it has enough volume or headroom but that's me. Personally, I'm hoping for a much improved sounding TW2 at this point since the TW1 is actually recalled. We shall see happens.

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #73 of 590

I never tried the BT2 for my SE846 but have gone back and forth on my SE535 and SE425. I never had volume issues on the SE535 or SE425 and never got close to maxing out volume. What bothered me about the BT2 was the form factor and I found wired less annoying than the dongle.

Hoping once they figure out the TW1 or a successor, it will come down in price as well (like the BT2, which is now only $50 bucks in the US if anyone is in the market for one). Until then, I am happy to use my IEMs wired (or with the Qudelix-5K, which I hope will replace my BT2). It also doesnt hurt to have some TWS for when you really need to be wireless.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #74 of 590
The BT2 is completely transparent on my SE846 and sounds identical to any good low impedance amp with no audible noise floor. The BT1 was garbage. If the TW1 sounds like the BT2, then it's also transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back