Shure AONIC 50 -
Dec 3, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #1,246 of 1,309
Can it be that these headphones use absolutely low-quality electronics? The amplifier on the right side whines slightly, after three seconds both sides are deactivated for energy saving reasons, which is noticeable with a quiet "pop". The ANC has far too much background noise (on Max it's so awful that I wonder why this option even exists). The Environmental mode is noisy, has far too high a latency when speaking, and the microphone noises when making calls.

Is this a defective model or can Shure simply not build ANC headphones?

Why does such a renowned manufacturer not manage to get its products noise-free? This is ridiculous, this is a completely unengineered product. A Momentum 3 is completely silent, nothing is noisy. The only thing good about these headphones is the sound. Unlike the typical bass bombers, these headphones at least have a sense of linearity and detail. But that alone is not enough for me, I could buy something else.

I am really disappointed, but maybe it is a defect.

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #1,247 of 1,309
Can it be that these headphones use absolutely low-quality electronics? The amplifier on the right side whines slightly, after three seconds both sides are deactivated for energy saving reasons, which is noticeable with a quiet "pop". The ANC has far too much background noise (on Max it's so awful that I wonder why this option even exists). The Environmental mode is noisy, has far too high a latency when speaking, and the microphone noises when making calls.

Why does such a renowned manufacturer not manage to get its products noise-free? This is ridiculous, this is a completely unengineered product. A Momentum 3 is completely silent, nothing is noisy. The only thing good about these headphones is the sound. Unlike the typical bass bombers, these headphones at least have a sense of linearity and detail. But that alone is not enough for me, I could buy something else.

I'm not having any of these problems.

The ANC is not class leading, but works well enough for me. My main use is at my desk at work in an open office and while it's not a total blackout of background noise, with some quiet music on it's totally fine.

The Momentum 3 Wireless was released 2 years after this product, so you'd expect some progress.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #1,248 of 1,309

I don’t own these anymore, but your experience seems to be a defective unit. These headphones are imperfect—weak ANC, somewhat hot on one’s ears, giant case—but they have a wonderful sound wireless and wired. There was a little floor noise when using them with internal DAC via USC-C with my iMac.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #1,249 of 1,309
Bought these headphones a few weeks ago for everyday use. overall i like these headphones but unfortunately the anc turned out to be too bad, which really spoils the user experience for me, before buying, I was guided by this noise reduction graph (on version 0.4.9), which seemed to me a pretty good result, even better than my previous headphones. however, it soon became clear that this was not true

Shure-Aonic-50-0.4.9-firmware-attenuation-noise-cancelling-ANC.jpg

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/shure/aonic-50-wireless#test_423

this turned out to be more like the truth, here they recorded with the new firmware and the result turned out to be worse, is it possible to assume that in the new versions the noise reduction was limited due to user complaints? Or was it like that from the beginning? in this case, should we expect that in a future update we can hope for an increase of anc perfomance, is it possible at all given the fact that there is an analog anc?

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #1,250 of 1,309
Bought these headphones a few weeks ago for everyday use. overall i like these headphones but unfortunately the anc turned out to be too bad, which really spoils the user experience for me, before buying, I was guided by this noise reduction graph (on version 0.4.9), which seemed to me a pretty good result, even better than my previous headphones. however, it soon became clear that this was not true

Shure-Aonic-50-0.4.9-firmware-attenuation-noise-cancelling-ANC.jpg

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/shure/aonic-50-wireless#test_423

this turned out to be more like the truth, here they recorded with the new firmware and the result turned out to be worse, is it possible to assume that in the new versions the noise reduction was limited due to user complaints? Or was it like that from the beginning? in this case, should we expect that in a future update we can hope for an increase of anc perfomance, is it possible at all given the fact that there is an analog anc?
ANC performance has always been poor. I've never understood reviews that suggest otherwise. These are great headphones, but best viewed as wireless headphones that have ANC - sound quality is great, but ANC weak.

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,251 of 1,309
ANC performance has always been poor. I've never understood reviews that suggest otherwise. These are great headphones, but best viewed as wireless headphones that have ANC - sound quality is great, but ANC weak.

It was hard for me to keep my Aonic 50s, as I was living in a noisy place at the time. I had replaced with Sony XM4s. Shure SRH1540s I had at the time, had higher resolution and a bigger soundstage than either of those.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,252 of 1,309
It was hard for me to keep my Aonic 50s, as I was living in a noisy place at the time. I had replaced with Sony XM4s. Shure SRH1540s I had at the time, had higher resolution and a bigger soundstage than either of those.
Yes, but the 1540s are not wireless. I agree they do sound better than any wireless headphone and, actually, are one of the best closed back headphones when the price: performance ratio is taken into account.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #1,253 of 1,309
Yes, but the 1540s are not wireless. I agree they do sound better than any wireless headphone and, actually, are one of the best closed back headphones when the price: performance ratio is taken into account.
Closed backs can noticeably improve your bass especially if you're playing hard rock or techno music. Last headphones I had and am trying to get back, are Focal Clear Mgs. Those are unique in that the drivers are in chambers and not floating like Grados (which have no bass). 1540s bass had sounded a bit loose and not sealed very well, but it was still more entertaining than dull, polite Sennheisers. Any of them. Probably one of the better picks for $500 though I had found them to be slightly dark and didn't have the Focal sparkle to the upper mids. The aftermarket Dekoni hybrid earpads had tightened up the bass a bit though the clamping force was still light. Now, I'm wishing I hadn't sold them for $260 as I'm looking for a second pair of speakers after having bought a house. I had preferred Audeze LCD-X for rock music for its bigger soundstage and grandness to the sound, though no open back can provide bass like it sounds in a box speaker. Drums aren't open baffle. What you can do with headphones, is remove the room from your listening experience. I can hear articulation in bass with $1200 headphones, that I can't hear with $5000 worth of speakers even with active crossovers in place with a $1300 subwoofer.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,254 of 1,309
I have had mine for almost three years, and lately the glue attaching the pleather on the headband, and on both earpads has started to lose its grip. So now the pleather is comming lose on all three spots. Almost like it had an experation date or something, since it started at all three places almost at once.

Anyone experienced this?

I returned them to the dealer a while ago, but they said it might be just a normal wear thing. They will investigate it further, but "threatend" me with that if it did not turn out to be a malfunction then they would charge me like 100 euros an hour for examination. Said they could throw them or send them back for free 😠

Disappointing that a headset at this price range should just fall apart in less than three years.

Should I instead contact Shure directly? Frustrating... 😠

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,255 of 1,309
I have had mine for almost three years, and lately the glue attaching the pleather on the headband, and on both earpads has started to lose its grip. So now the pleather is comming lose on all three spots. Almost like it had an experation date or something, since it started at all three places almost at once.

Anyone experienced this?

I returned them to the dealer a while ago, but they said it might be just a normal wear thing. They will investigate it further, but "threatend" me with that if it did not turn out to be a malfunction then they would charge me like 100 euros an hour for examination. Said they could throw them or send them back for free 😠

Disappointing that a headset at this price range should just fall apart in less than three years.

I had a similar problem with one of the earcups and my dealer then replaced them free of charge. That was within the warranty period of two years.

Aug 14, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,256 of 1,309

Anyone experienced this?

like clockwork, both of my earpads started coming unglued, seemingly out of nowhere. really disappointing. I know it happens, but odd to have it happen immediately not gradually. Anyone have a good recommendation for replacement pads? I see Dekoni has some for $60, may try those out.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,257 of 1,309
like clockwork, both of my earpads started coming unglued, seemingly out of nowhere. really disappointing. I know it happens, but odd to have it happen immediately not gradually. Anyone have a good recommendation for replacement pads? I see Dekoni has some for $60, may try those out.
I just replaced mine a week or two ago because that happened to the right side of my Aonic 50s. Just called up Shure's main line and asked for the parts department. Cost me $27 (for both sides) + tax + $12 shipping to NY ($42 total if I recall correctly), shipped same day and came in a few days.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,258 of 1,309
I just replaced mine a week or two ago because that happened to the right side of my Aonic 50s. Just called up Shure's main line and asked for the parts department. Cost me $27 (for both sides) + tax + $12 shipping to NY ($42 total if I recall correctly), shipped same day and came in a few days.
Awesome, good to know. Thanks.

Aug 18, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #1,259 of 1,309
Sad to say my bluetooth in these just died. This unit was a replacement for a model where the pads had detached, so I've had it less than 6 months. I noticed my sound went from fine to constant stutter if I turned my head with the usb cable charging. 1 day later and now wont connect at all and if I forget device it doesn't show up in the bluetooth device list on my phone or PC. Bitter that they're probably out of warranty and I'll be out $300 if I want to replace. Are there any viable alternatives? I love the sound quality/signature, environment mode/ANC switch and being able to use them cabled as well as wirelessly.

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #1,260 of 1,309
The Aonic 50 probably worked with a larger set of codecs than anything else, so your starting point will be to focus on your source codecs: LDAC, the many aptX variations, etc.

But the warranty from Shure is 2 years. Did you get the replacement from Shure, or were you referring to a different headphone that your current one replaced?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back