Shure AONIC 50 -
Sep 16, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,276 of 1,309
I'm waiting to see what the new Fidelio L4 sounds like...

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,277 of 1,309
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Gen 2, maxwell, and momentum 4 to compare. Can't afford to keep all 3, but it can come out of my account for 2 weeks before going back in. lol
Curious about the momentum4. i love the Maxwell personally.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,278 of 1,309
Curious about the momentum4. i love the Maxwell personally.
Momentum is really good! Aonic 50 gen 2 arrives tomorrow. Maxwell on Wednesday.

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #1,279 of 1,309
So gen 2 arrived today. Pretty much exactly the same as gen 1, except metal is black. Build is the same. Sound is still good, but with aneimic bass. Back and forth with the momentum 4, I'm shocked to say that the momentum 4 has better detail and clarity, as well as being more comfortable. Aonic going back to Amazon. Momentum 4 is sticking around. Didn't expect that.

Oct 4, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #1,280 of 1,309
I joined the SA50 party just yesterday, taking advantage of the bargain price you can buy the thing at because the issue of Gen 2.
I am a long time stax/ortho kind of listener, having lost long time ago any hope to have all the needed ingredients for a proper reproduction from a single dynamic driver. I do have Sennheiser M1 ear buds for office work and could live with them easily enough to keep them. However, recently, I had to pick a bluetooth headset for my son and discovered the technology has moved forward and that led me to buy an M3 for him and an SA50 for myself.
My first 10 minutes with the A50 got me close to pack them up and return them: they sucked all blood from any reproduction., kind of a vampire headphones :wink:. I am mostly a classical/jazz concerts goer and lover and they did not sound anything like real live music. They reminded me my old DT48S, only with more LF extension.
Still... all the features were there: microdynamic, FR extension, resolution, prat, speed, clarity. So I resisted and moved away from the Shure playback application going though my collections of android apps looking for proper reproduction and EQ handling.
Leaving soundstage apart (big soundstage with dynamic closed headphones is an oxymoron I think), the best match for the headphone proved to be my old trusted Onkyo HF Player (probably the best player ever implemented, far better than even UBS audio); it also has a great volume control that avoids the abysmally incompetent one present in the Shure player. Our ears are not perfect for a start and dynamic drivers cannot do everything right at the same time. The only headsets I would not fiddle with are my Staxes, as they the most competent technology, but the A50 can answer to EQ with athletic agility.
Use good sources (not necessarily high resolution; to me, red book flacs are good enough if the master is great and if it is not, there's nothing you can do to make it better), use LDAC or direct connection, (at the risk of seeming heretical) tweak the sound of them with the proper player and they will match almost any realistic expectations. They are incredibly good, especially considered the price, and the fact they are wireless lets me indulge more in music without missing too much from my bigger setup. To judge these cans using the lousy Shure player or Spotify does not make any justice to them.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,281 of 1,309
Side note: the momentum 4 are great and portable, but for at home, the Maxwell are brilliant and sound flipping fantastic. Huge rec. Great for gaming and music. Sound better than my go pods with monarch mkii

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #1,282 of 1,309
Side note: the momentum 4 are great and portable, but for at home, the Maxwell are brilliant and sound flipping fantastic. Huge rec. Great for gaming and music. Sound better than my go pods with monarch mkii
Hi Josh, can you give a descriptive comparison between Aonic 50 and Maxwell. Cannot find anything specific about in the forum. I tend to prefer planar headphones but cheap implementations of them are usually disappointing. Still I am quite curious about a closed planar.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,283 of 1,309
Hi Josh, can you give a descriptive comparison between Aonic 50 and Maxwell. Cannot find anything specific about in the forum. I tend to prefer planar headphones but cheap implementations of them are usually disappointing. Still I am quite curious about a closed planar.
Thanks.
Hey man,

I don't know how technical I can get, but in broad terms, the maxwell is more detailed/resolving, has a wider stage, and has better bass. It sounds really good. Plus 80 hour battery life! Best BT I've heard. Definitely superior to the aonic 50, and I was a fan of the 50. It's still good, but the maxwell is better. Not portable though. Fine for around the house but I wouldn't go to the gym with them.

Oct 6, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,284 of 1,309
Hey man,

I don't know how technical I can get, but in broad terms, the maxwell is more detailed/resolving, has a wider stage, and has better bass. It sounds really good. Plus 80 hour battery life! Best BT I've heard. Definitely superior to the aonic 50, and I was a fan of the 50. It's still good, but the maxwell is better. Not portable though. Fine for around the house but I wouldn't go to the gym with them.
Thanks,
it seems I need to give them a try. Still, it will be interesting to see if their almost double price respect an A50 is justified.
As long they are portable enough to move between home and office, I am ok with anything. Sure enough they do not look as good as the A50 with that game station look but maybe this is only my bias. For sure they match the Sony style, Audeze's new owner. I was an earlier adopter of the LCD1 but I think I will be very suspicious of any new product coming out of Audeze in the future.
Despite my repeated attempts to find a reason to not keep my A50 Gen 1, I cannot find any so far. Difficult to ask more to a closed Bluetooth, even independently by their current price point.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,285 of 1,309
Got the Maxwell and, to me, it is a strange mixed bag. It has unequivocally a planar timbre but the LF are bloated. I had to EQthem to bring out of the shadow voices and strings and to reduce the smear with lot of combined LF strings. It seems to loose control on complex instrumental passages. The A50 are less buyoant but more focused.
Yes, the Maxwell has better SQ overall, still I was probably too optimistic in hoping for serious music listening with wireless portable devices and I am therefore scratching my head at what the Maxwell place is on this, giving its cost and portability.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #1,286 of 1,309
Hey Guys! I'm new here( From Germany) and i am an Aonic 50 (cream/white) Owner since 2 days now..
Very happy with them since so far.. The Options to listen over BT, AnalogCable and USB-C are perfect for me, cause i wanted a HP for commuting and home..
For the 169€( somewhaat like 1:1 for Dollars) i bought them new from Shure directly.. A NOOOBrainer thats for "SURE"

Now i am a little confused in Terms of Codecs and EQ Settings..
For me, as an Android User, Honor 70, only AptxHD and LDAC are Options.
But there are a few Things i still dont really understand.

The Shure APP provides an EQ, ok, but when is it really available, only on AptxHD and lower ?
If then, is it also for my Deezer HiFi Option available or do i have to listen via Shure APP?
And how and when are the "hardcoded" EQ Presets directly loadable on the Headphones? With both Codecs?
I only want to use them with Deezer and they should be little tuned... 2-2,5 db in 2 frequency areas.

i could live with the out-of.-the-Box tuning, but would like to give them a little 60-100 Hz bumbp and a slightly little tame at 8-12 khZ

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #1,287 of 1,309
Hey Guys! I'm new here( From Germany) and i am an Aonic 50 (cream/white) Owner since 2 days now..
Very happy with them since so far.. The Options to listen over BT, AnalogCable and USB-C are perfect for me, cause i wanted a HP for commuting and home..
For the 169€( somewhaat like 1:1 for Dollars) i bought them new from Shure directly.. A NOOOBrainer thats for "SURE"

Now i am a little confused in Terms of Codecs and EQ Settings..
For me, as an Android User, Honor 70, only AptxHD and LDAC are Options.
But there are a few Things i still dont really understand.

The Shure APP provides an EQ, ok, but when is it really available, only on AptxHD and lower ?
If then, is it also for my Deezer HiFi Option available or do i have to listen via Shure APP?
And how and when are the "hardcoded" EQ Presets directly loadable on the Headphones? With both Codecs?
I only want to use them with Deezer and they should be little tuned... 2-2,5 db in 2 frequency areas.

i could live with the out-of.-the-Box tuning, but would like to give them a little 60-100 Hz bumbp and a slightly little tame at 8-12 khZ
EQ settings are not stored in the headset and therefore only works with the Aonic player. That player is not great anyway, so you are better off using Poweramp or USBAudio, where you can EQ even with LDAC. No idea if that Deezer app has an EQ.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #1,288 of 1,309
EQ settings are not stored in the headset and therefore only works with the Aonic player. That player is not great anyway, so you are better off using Poweramp or USBAudio, where you can EQ even with LDAC. No idea if that Deezer app has an EQ.

This is not true anymore… that was already changed for gen 1 with one of the software updates

Oct 16, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,290 of 1,309
Can you please elaborate a little bit more on this? thanks!

As far as I remember, gen 1 did not save custom EQ to the headphones when it came out (I never use EQ, so I’m not sure). I think this was added with a later software update. Gen 2 has this feature for sure.

Looking at the product page at https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

There’s this text some way down:

Customizable EQ.​

Choose from multiple presets, or create your own using the free ShurePlus™ PLAY app. Saves directly to your headphones for a seamless audio experience across other apps and devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back