Shure AONIC 50 -
Oct 16, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,291 of 1,309
As far as I remember, gen 1 did not save custom EQ to the headphones when it came out (I never use EQ, so I’m not sure). I think this was added with a later software update. Gen 2 has this feature for sure.

Looking at the product page at https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

There’s this text some way down:

Customizable EQ.​

Choose from multiple presets, or create your own using the free ShurePlus™ PLAY app. Saves directly to your headphones for a seamless audio experience across other apps and devices.
https://www.shure.com/en-US/support...aonic-50-wireless-noise-cancelling-headphones it was added in 0.7.0

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,293 of 1,309
As far as I remember, gen 1 did not save custom EQ to the headphones when it came out (I never use EQ, so I’m not sure). I think this was added with a later software update. Gen 2 has this feature for sure.

Looking at the product page at https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

There’s this text some way down:

Customizable EQ.​

Choose from multiple presets, or create your own using the free ShurePlus™ PLAY app. Saves directly to your headphones for a seamless audio experience across other apps and devices.
I dont use EQ for the Aonic 50 (but I do have the Gen 1) and know the Gen 1 saves EQ to the headphones so you do not need to use the Shure app or a phone to play music. It was added back in 2021.

See post #1,160 in this thread.

Post in thread 'Shure AONIC 50 -' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-aonic-50.931134/post-16548440

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #1,294 of 1,309
This is not true anymore… that was already changed for gen 1 with one of the software updates
This is interesting... the GUI disables the EQ configuration when playing LDAC. If the EQ was a persistent feature in the headset the GUI should not prevent the EQ configuration as that is independent from any contingent playing.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #1,295 of 1,309
This is interesting... the GUI disables the EQ configuration when playing LDAC. If the EQ was a persistent feature in the headset the GUI should not prevent the EQ configuration as that is independent from any contingent playing.
I think that has to do with computing power being rather limited on the headphones and the LDAC decoding already taxing those available resources so that EQ calculations are simply not manageable anymore.

Oct 17, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,296 of 1,309
I think that has to do with computing power being rather limited on the headphones and the LDAC decoding already taxing those available resources so that EQ calculations are simply not manageable anymore.
That has nothing to do with the storing f the eq in the headphone. Why the gui does not allow me to modify the eq and store it in the headset even when playing with LDAC? After all the app cannot possibly know what codec you will play with another app. Unless the EQ was codec specific which is kind of interesting, At any rate there is no point to EQ in the headset if it does not support LDAC. Afterall, anything else is going to play quite bad.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #1,297 of 1,309
That has nothing to do with the storing f the eq in the headphone. Why the gui does not allow me to modify the eq and store it in the headset even when playing with LDAC? After all the app cannot possibly know what codec you will play with another app. Unless the EQ was codec specific which is kind of interesting, At any rate there is no point to EQ in the headset if it does not support LDAC. Afterall, anything else is going to play quite bad.
For software design decisions like that just ask Shure -- they might have thought that selecting LDAC and storing EQ gives you false hopes or whatever.
That it sounds bad with other codecs is wrong though. Yet I just don't need and never use EQ, so I really don't care.

Oct 17, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #1,298 of 1,309
I believe @plakat was guessing it is due to processing power (i.e. the CPU) not storage. No idea if this is the reason but the Aonic 50 is not the only Bluetooth device that did not have EQ when using LDAC. I recall the Fiio BTR5 had this same
Imitation (don't know if this was added later since I do not own one myself).

For software design decisions like that just ask Shure -- they might have thought that selecting LDAC and storing EQ gives you false hopes or whatever.
That it sounds bad with other codecs is wrong though. Yet I just don't need and never use EQ, so I really don't care.

I also do not EQ the Aonic 50 and agree that other codecs are not bad. There appears to be too much of a focus on codecs these days. If anything, I like that the Aonic 50 offers so many differebmnt codecs, allowing you to use it with many sources while maximizing audio quality. I think LDAC works great but so does aptX HD and even aptX (I use my Aonic 50 with my Chromecast sometimes late at night so I dont wake the kids). I have other headphons (e.g. B&W Px8 and Px7 S2) that do not have LDAC and those sound great as well over aptX asaptive with ny Pixel 7 Pro, aptX HD with PC, or "only" aptX with my Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 (since Samsung does not support aptX adaprive). For TWS, I use my SE846 Gen1 on a TW2 adapter which just has aptX and, more recently, picked up a Jabra Elite 10 to use with my Samsung Fold 5 (AAC) and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the sound of the Elite 10s. I also use the Senn MTW3 with my Fold 5 (which connects using aptX to my Fold 5). My music is just as enjoyable to me on any of these (depending on my mood at the time) and only the Aonic 50 have LDAC among the headphones/TWS I mentioned above.

For me, at least, tuning/sound signature or being able to EQ to a preferred sound is more important than the codec used. Of all the above, the Aonic 50 and SE846 are the only headphones/IEMs that I do not EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,299 of 1,309
I believe @plakat was guessing it is due to processing power (i.e. the CPU) not storage. No idea if this is the reason but the Aonic 50 is not the only Bluetooth device that did not have EQ when using LDAC. I recall the Fiio BTR5 had this same
Imitation (don't know if this was added later since I do not own one myself).

I also do not EQ the Aonic 50 and agree that other codecs are not bad. There appears to be too much of a focus on codecs these days. If anything, I like that the Aonic 50 offers so many differebmnt codecs, allowing you to use it with many sources while maximizing audio quality. I think LDAC works great but so does aptX HD and even aptX (I use my Aonic 50 with my Chromecast sometimes late at night so I dont wake the kids). I have other headphons (e.g. B&W Px8 and Px7 S2) that do not have LDAC and those sound great as well over aptX asaptive with ny Pixel 7 Pro, aptX HD with PC, or "only" aptX with my Samsung Galaxy Fold 5 (since Samsung does not support aptX adaprive). For TWS, I use my SE846 Gen1 on a TW2 adapter which just has aptX and, more recently, picked up a Jabra Elite 10 to use with my Samsung Fold 5 (AAC) and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the sound of the Elite 10s. I also use the Senn MTW3 with my Fold 5 (which connects using aptX to my Fold 5). My music is just as enjoyable to me on any of these (depending on my mood at the time) and only the Aonic 50 have LDAC among the headphones/TWS I mentioned above.

For me, at least, tuning/sound signature or being able to EQ to a preferred sound is more important than the codec used. Of all the above, the Aonic 50 and SE846 are the only headphones/IEMs that I do not EQ.
Yes, I see your points. n my side I do have to EQ as my hearing is not anymore as good as it used to be. I have my earing test chart and normally compensate on its basis. I guess very few people will have a completely flat earing across the audible spectrum so I am wandering why that should nto be a common place practice independently. Plus I think the LF tuning on this cans does not make justice to their capabilities in that area.
At any rate I plugged the A50 directly via UBS from my android phone and have to say it is night and day respect LDAC. It must be heard to judge this headphone's quality! This headphone surprises me every single time I try to find a flaw on it. all the mud and honking in the mid LF area during orchestral passages has gone and everything slots into place beautifully. I do not expect 2K$ performances from them of course, but... "holy cow"!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #1,300 of 1,309
Hello,
Can someone tell me if the Volume Steps increased from Gen 1 to Gen 2? In Gen 1 I had a hard time to adjust the Volume to my liking in some tracks.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #1,301 of 1,309
Hello,
Can someone tell me if the Volume Steps increased from Gen 1 to Gen 2? In Gen 1 I had a hard time to adjust the Volume to my liking in some tracks.
The volume steps are too big for me, too, they drive me crazy. I am using the Sound Assistant app on my Samsung smartphone and reduced the step size to the minimum of 1. Unfortunately, this works on the smartphone only, not when I am using the volume of the headphones.
I have compared the step size of the Shure Aonic 50 Gen 1 with Gen 2: Both have a step size of 10 with the Sound Assistant.

The Sound Assistant app is available on Samsung's Galaxy store: Sound Assistant

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #1,302 of 1,309
The volume steps are too big for me, too, they drive me crazy. I am using the Sound Assistant app on my Samsung smartphone and reduced the step size to the minimum of 1. Unfortunately, this works on the smartphone only, not when I am using the volume of the headphones.
I have compared the step size of the Shure Aonic 50 Gen 1 with Gen 2: Both have a step size of 10 with the Sound Assistant.

The Sound Assistant app is available on Samsung's Galaxy store: Sound Assistant
I know this Method but unfortunately this affects the SQ in a negative Way. The Volume should be always changed on the Device itself and not over Android/iOS. But anyway thanks for the Informations so the Gen 2 is also nothing for me.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,303 of 1,309
im in market for my first bluetooth overear headphones. (for reference now i use ath msr7 about 6-7 years). My shopping list:
Sony wh1000xm5 - NO USB audio
Sennheiser Momentum4 - As i read and saw reviews on youtube 3.5mm sound is terrible. But bluetooth sound is better thnan Sony.
Edifier Stax S3 - Headband make cracking noise when head is turned.
Shure Aonic 50 gen 2 - i can get them for 329€ at local store. Dont know about sound with 3.5mm cable. But i like the fact that they can do everything for me.Internet says that sony sounds better. Right now i use Iphone11 for bluetooth listening. I have Ibasso dx200 player, and other players, pc, cambride audio dacmagic+ I really need a 3.5mm input too.
On a list is Technics A800 either.
Whats your suggestions?

Dec 6, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #1,304 of 1,309
Hello everyone!
I was wondering if the earpads of AONIC50 and AONIC50GEN2 are interchangeable?

I bought aonic50gen2 few days ago, I wanna purchase spare earpads.

Dec 29, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,305 of 1,309
Can someone that owns the new V2 version (I own the V1), confirm if the the EQ can be applied to LDAC codec?, with the V1 version the EQ gets disabled when LDAC is in use, and I find them to be right on the mark with EQ, without i, at least for me, they are a bit shouty (I'm talking about the V1, I have no experience with V2).

Regarding the question about the earpads on the post above, they seem to be visually equal, but they seem to be sold under different part numbers, so maybe something is different, maybe the mounting rings?, just guessing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back