Shure AONIC 50 -
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,262 of 1,309
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,263 of 1,309
Sad to say my bluetooth in these just died. This unit was a replacement for a model where the pads had detached, so I've had it less than 6 months. I noticed my sound went from fine to constant stutter if I turned my head with the usb cable charging. 1 day later and now wont connect at all and if I forget device it doesn't show up in the bluetooth device list on my phone or PC. Bitter that they're probably out of warranty and I'll be out $300 if I want to replace. Are there any viable alternatives? I love the sound quality/signature, environment mode/ANC switch and being able to use them cabled as well as wirelessly.
Honestly for the same amount of money, even if you don't game, the Audeze Maxwell is worth a serious look as a replacement if you don't have a warranty claim. i think they have better tonality and the default balanced eq audeze created is really well done. If you wanted to make adjustments you could, and you can store 4 eqs in the headphones themselves and toggle between them. i've been pleasantly surprised by them. They are not bass monsters by default, so any eq you might make to get a similar sound to the Aonic50 I don't imagine would be to drastic.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,264 of 1,309
Aug 31, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,265 of 1,309
Also on the Shure page now:
https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/headphones/aonic50?variant=SBH50G2-BK

399€... I'll probably pass, I already have too many Bluetooth headphones and hardly use them if at all. I'm also not interested in sound processing for spatial audio -- to me completely useless with music (OK for films, but also not necessary).

The case looks much more compact, they still only fold flat though. I like the black color scheme. Did not find any info if the pads are deeper now. 45h runtime sounds nice.

Replacement pads are also mentioned as part Nr. SBH50G2-BK-PADS

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,266 of 1,309
I have these, the bose 300 whatever and the fancy Sony anc something. I prefer the Sony, as the anc is the best on them. They are all close tho, can't really go wrong with any of them.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,267 of 1,309
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #1,269 of 1,309
The Shure website says these support "aptX™, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Adaptive, AAC, SBC and Sony LDAC." Looks like aptX-LL was dropped, but one web review says it still has that codec; I sent an inquiry to Shure. My Aonic 50 are sitting with my TV because they have LL, which is the only context with which I use them these days.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,270 of 1,309
The Shure website says these support "aptX™, aptX™ HD, aptX™ Adaptive, AAC, SBC and Sony LDAC." Looks like aptX-LL was dropped, but one web review says it still has that codec; I sent an inquiry to Shure. My Aonic 50 are sitting with my TV because they have LL, which is the only context with which I use them these days.
APTX LL was dropped after adaptive was introduced. adaptive is supposed to be the balance between audio quality, stable connectivity and keeping video and audio synced.
Heres a link from qualcomm describing aptx adaptive.
https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,271 of 1,309
My understanding is that the latency in adaptive isn't as low as LL.

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,272 of 1,309
My understanding is that the latency in adaptive isn't as low as LL.
I think adaptive was meant to try and bring the best of APTX HD and APTX LL in to one codec. It has a lower bitrate than APTX HD, 576 KBPS to 420 iirc, and I believe APTX LL has latency of 32MS to something like 80 for adaptive.

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #1,273 of 1,309
If they haven't fixed the anc, these aren't worth it. Anc on in a closed environment, the Gen 1's aren't touchable.
Outdoors, there are better choices for ANC, although those come with a lower audio quality.
Edit:
From what I've read, they tweaked the sound, that could be even more of a deal breaker.
Half the reason people pick Shure is the flat, neutral stage.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,274 of 1,309
Hey all,

Anyone compared aonic 50 to momentum 4? I have a best buy gift card and thinking about picking up the latter

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,275 of 1,309
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Gen 2, maxwell, and momentum 4 to compare. Can't afford to keep all 3, but it can come out of my account for 2 weeks before going back in. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back