Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #196 of 1,309
Did some testing both with my Huawei P20 Pro and my Sony Z1 Compact. What I found was that the LDAC 88.2kHz was the best option. This was without the distortion, but with a more open and detailed sound than Aptx HD or LDAC with 48khz. What is the reason that I (who am not an audiophile) can hear such a difference? I thought it wasn't supposed to matter that much as I only use Spotify as my source. The 88.2kHz was not an option on my Huawei, only on the old Sony I have.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #197 of 1,309
It only happens in combination with specific devices. My guess is Android phones.
Shure is working on it tho.

EDIT: Try Seong-Jin Cho for strong Chopin as well.

Interesting. Tried on two phones - OnePlus 7 Pro and LG V30. Obviously can't try that particular YT track on my DAPs - Hiby R3 Pro Saber and A&K SR15, but tried everything else with all available BT LDAC settings.

Will check out Seong-Jin Cho, thanks for the tip.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #198 of 1,309

The Sonys are the only other BT cans I have more than a passing acquaintance with, my son has them.

I think they are hideous. I'm a closet basshead and listen to more funk than any other genre, but... bass on those things is just a bloody uncontrolled mess. My son is 16 and into Grime/hip-hop, suits him I suppose (he's not listening to my attempts to convert his audio preferences). Improvement with EQ, but they're no headphones for old men.

The ANC on the Sonys is however a marvel. I didn't get the A50s for that, but works well enough on the subway here. Looking forward to trying on a plane.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #199 of 1,309
The ANC on the Sonys is however a marvel. I didn't get the A50s for that, but works well enough on the subway here. Looking forward to trying on a plane.

Don't forgetting that sa50 is having 2 anc settings. when I comparing the first time anc with my sony xm3 I think sa50 isn't very good. Later I seeing that the sa50 anc setting isn't in max position. In max position the sa50 is very, very good. Is true like soundguys is saying in the article that sony is better for the blocking in mid and high frequencies. I want testing sa50 in airplane for deciding if I selling sony xm3, but because of the covid-19 I cancelling the flight I having for last week. Maybe I can testing in airplane in September.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #200 of 1,309
Don't forgetting that sa50 is having 2 anc settings. when I comparing the first time anc with my sony xm3 I think sa50 isn't very good. Later I seeing that the sa50 anc setting isn't in max position. In max position the sa50 is very, very good. Is true like soundguys is saying in the article that sony is better for the blocking in mid and high frequencies. I want testing sa50 in airplane for deciding if I selling sony xm3, but because of the covid-19 I cancelling the flight I having for last week. Maybe I can testing in airplane in September.

Tried in both settings. Still not close to Sony.

Don't care tbh. The only times I'll use it are on the subway - and they are short journeys, 15-20 minutes top - and on the plane, 2. August.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #201 of 1,309
Shure AONIC 50 vs DALI IO-6

I did a comparison of those two before, but with defective units and only a few days in. It makes sense to read it here since this is just an addition. I did also edit my first impressions to clarify some "wrong/oudated statements".

After receiving replacement units I used them for a few weeks now. There won't be a big sound comparison though, because more competent people already did that and I like both of them.

The Shure "defect" turned out to be that "LDAC 96kHz" bug, which seems to appear with Android devices. Since it works just fine with my laptop it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Shure is working on a fix.
The DALI defect was due to a faulty production batch, which has been recalled. Most of those units shouldn't be available in shops anymore.

Build Quality and Design
Shure AONIC 50:
  • The ANC/Env switch seems to be a hard switch, which is nice.
  • Despite it's weight it feels really light and soft on my head and the ears. It feels so much better on my head than the DALI's.
  • The case is unnecessarily big. Shure says, it's intention is to let people fit cables and a player inside. In my eyes that's not needed those days, where most of us using a smartphone. And they don't even fit in fully extended, which I would love to see on all cases to be honest.
  • At that price point an additional storage bag would be nice.
  • The 2.5mm TRRS input is a bit of a shame. Wouldn't hurt them to make it 3.5mm.
DALI IO-6:
  • The power switch is a soft switch, which is possibly prone to failure. Several problems have already been reported in the DALI's thread.
  • Slight background hiss, when turned on and even when no music playing.
  • Has a tight fit, that creates some cabin pressure for me. Even when off and no music playing. This fit is necessary though, for the best sound results.
  • Having a feature to switch off automatically when "idling" for too long is quite nice.

Sound
Shure AONIC 50:
  • Has a slight crackling noise when music starts/stops. Like powering on/off the dac/amp.
DALI IO-6:
  • Positioning on the ears is very important for the best sound result.
  • Slightly louder (about 2 points on a scale from 0-25)
  • Still a slight crackling on the left ear cup. Way less than with my fist pair, but still present.
  • Slightly more bass and sharper highs.

ANC and Environmantal Mode
Shure AONIC 50:
  • I experienced a really subtle "deep pulsating hum" with normal ANC once. I couldn't find out if that was due to some specific outside noise that went through, or an ANC flaw. Anyone else experienced this?

App (Android)
Shure AONIC 50:
  • No idle timeout, but should be easy to implement via the firmware/app.
  • Contrary to what other people said, the firmware update worked flawless for me. Headphones were near the phone and I didn't change any settings to make it less interruptive.
DALI IO-6:
  • No App. And also no plans for an app in the future, according to the DALI support.

While the DALI IO-6 aren't bad at all, for me personally the Shure AONIC 50 are the clear winner. Without that comfort issue with the DALI's on my head, the decision would have been harder, but it is what it is.

As before, I will forward some of those statements to Shure and report back with answers.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #202 of 1,309
Shure AONIC 50 vs DALI IO-6

I did a comparison of those two before, but with defective units and only a few days in. It makes sense to read it here since this is just an addition. I did also edit my first impressions to clarify some "wrong/oudated statements".

After receiving replacement units I used them for a few weeks now. There won't be a big sound comparison though, because more competent people already did that and I like both of them.

The Shure "defect" turned out to be that "LDAC 96kHz" bug, which seems to appear with Android devices. Since it works just fine with my laptop it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. Shure is working on a fix.
The DALI defect was due to a faulty production batch, which has been recalled. Most of those units shouldn't be available in shops anymore.

Build Quality and Design
Shure AONIC 50:
  • The ANC/Env switch seems to be a hard switch, which is nice.
  • Despite it's weight it feels really light and soft on my head and the ears. It feels so much better on my head than the DALI's.
  • The case is unnecessarily big. Shure says, it's intention is to let people fit cables and a player inside. In my eyes that's not needed those days, where most of us using a smartphone. And they don't even fit in fully extended, which I would love to see on all cases to be honest.
  • The 2.5mm TRRS input is a bit of a shame. Wouldn't hurt them to make it 3.5mm.
DALI IO-6:
  • The power switch is a soft switch, which is possibly prone to failure. Several problems have already been reported in the DALI's thread.
  • Slight background hiss, when turned on and even when no music playing.
  • Has a tight fit, that creates some cabin pressure for me. Even when off and no music playing. This fit is necessary though, for the best sound results.
  • Having a feature to switch off automatically when "idling" for too long is quite nice.

Sound
Shure AONIC 50:
  • Has a slight crackling noise when music starts/stops. Like powering on/off the dac/amp.
DALI IO-6:
  • Positioning on the ears is very important for the best sound result.
  • Slightly louder (about 2 points on a scale from 0-25)
  • Still a slight crackling on the left ear cup. Way less than with my fist pair, but still present.
  • Slightly more bass and sharper highs.

ANC and Environmantal Mode
Shure AONIC 50:
  • I experienced a really subtle "deep pulsating hum" with normal ANC once. I couldn't find out if that was due to some specific outside noise that went through, or an ANC flaw. Anyone else experienced this?

App (Android)
Shure AONIC 50:
  • No idle timeout, but should be easy to implement via the firmware/app.
  • Contrary to what other people said, the firmware update worked flawless for me. Headphones were near the phone and I didn't change any settings to make it less interruptive.
DALI IO-6:
  • No App. And also no plans for an app in the future, according to the DALI support.

While the DALI IO-6 aren't bad at all, for me personally the Shure AONIC 50 are the clear winner. Without that comfort issue with the DALI's on my head, the decision would have been harder, but it is what it is.

As before, I will forward some of those statements to Shure and report back with answers.

Nice summary, thanks.

Almost bought the Dalis during my wait for the A50s, but glad I didn't. I liked the sound, but I thought they were too quiet - surprised you think the opposite. Jeez, my ears must be effed.... They weren't very comfortable for me either.

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #204 of 1,309
Btw, anyone found a nice but not too expensive smaller case?
Or any manufacturer which does good cases in general?

Accessory house Global has a DN8PRO case that fits like a glove. And they are developing a DALI IO case that supposedly should also fit the Shure (since the Shure also fit into the DALI jeans case of the IO-6)

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #205 of 1,309
Jul 4, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #206 of 1,309

The big problem with dn8pro(xl) cases in the website (maybe is exist model without "xl"?) that the 4 cases having thickness of 12,5cm or 15cm! The shure case is 6,5cm in thickness (all measurements is: 25 x 25 x 6,5). The more small dn8proxl is 20 x 23 x 12,5, is having double thickness than shure case and for travelling this is very bad.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #207 of 1,309
The big problem with dn8pro(xl) cases in the website (maybe is exist model without "xl"?) that the 4 cases having thickness of 12,5cm or 15cm! The shure case is 6,5cm in thickness (all measurements is: 25 x 25 x 6,5). The more small dn8proxl is 20 x 23 x 12,5, is having double thickness than shure case and for travelling this is very bad.
True story. looking for at something like the DALI's case. folded flat, but smaller than the Shure case, which is just a beast...

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #208 of 1,309
I agree with you guys on cases. I too want a simple cloth pouch for travel. For them to say they made it target to hold a player is either BS excuse or just plain naive. I store my new SR25 in there, but when traveling, I won't use the case.

Have you come up with a good soft pouch option?

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #209 of 1,309

The DN8PRO is a perfect fit for the unrotated Shure. The DN8PRO XL is too large. That one is a better fit for my Denon AH-D9200 for example. But indeed, the DN8PRO is meant for headphones that do not rotate and flatten. If you want a flat case like DALI's own IO case, then I was advised to wait until they release the flatter case...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back