Shure AONIC 50 -
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #211 of 1,309
I want a bag to travel with. I use the case at home and it's fine, but a bag is what I'll be looking for.

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #212 of 1,309
I reported previously that AONIC 50 unit I got had a glitch, stutter, or skip with bluetooth, which I though was due to multipoint pairing. I returned that unit thinking it was defective.

I really don’t need bluetooth nor ANC. So I was kind of looking at wired headphones. Then I found out my company offers Shure discount. An acquaintance got Shure SE846 a while back for 50% off. Luckily I chatted with him and found out. Shure had all IEMs 50% discount, but only discount for headphone is AONIC 50; no discount for wired Shure headphones, such as SHR1540.

No brainer. I got the AONIC 50 again for US $200. Guess what, this new unit also has this same issue with glitch or stutter.

Since I have multiple devices connected, notifications occur on all my Apple devices. That was why I previously thought it is due to 2nd paired device’s notification coming thru. However, on my Apple devices, the notifications all pop up at same time.

Now, I believe the issue has to do with iOS notification. I got glitch/stutter even when I only have 1 device (iPhone) with me while at the park. Just yesterday, I heard this glitch or stutter while playing music, right when I got notification.

Issue occur periodically or with limited notification occurrences. And it is not clear which type of notification causes it. Most of my notifications are iMessages, so I tend to notice this after iMessages. Online, I found a few posts with related issue. Their complaint is not necessarily bluetooth but just distorted iMessage notification sound. But seems like issue is not so wide spread. Or most people just don’t care.

For $200 dollar, I can live with this issue; or spend extra effort to work around this issue. And it’s likely issue is on the iOS side, not the headphone.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #213 of 1,309
The DN8PRO is a perfect fit for the unrotated Shure. The DN8PRO XL is too large. That one is a better fit for my Denon AH-D9200 for example. But indeed, the DN8PRO is meant for headphones that do not rotate and flatten. If you want a flat case like DALI's own IO case, then I was advised to wait until they release the flatter case...

A flat case is ideal I think, but if this case is realising by Dali, this is bad news because the other cloth case by Dali is very, very expensive (plus the shipping and is taking a long time for arriving).

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #214 of 1,309
A flat case is ideal I think, but if this case is realising by Dali, this is bad news because the other cloth case by Dali is very, very expensive (plus the shipping and is taking a long time for arriving).

I was referring to an alternative case to the DALI case that currently is being developed by Accessory House Global and for which the samples supposedly arrive next week.. That will be a flat case in the price range of the other AHG cases... Once approved, I guess it will be another 2-3 months I guess until the retail model comes out.. But at least they make really good quality cases, so worth the wait..

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #215 of 1,309
I reported previously that AONIC 50 unit I got had a glitch, stutter, or skip with bluetooth, which I though was due to multipoint pairing. I returned that unit thinking it was defective.

I really don’t need bluetooth nor ANC. So I was kind of looking at wired headphones. Then I found out my company offers Shure discount. An acquaintance got Shure SE846 a while back for 50% off. Luckily I chatted with him and found out. Shure had all IEMs 50% discount, but only discount for headphone is AONIC 50; no discount for wired Shure headphones, such as SHR1540.

No brainer. I got the AONIC 50 again for US $200. Guess what, this new unit also has this same issue with glitch or stutter.

Since I have multiple devices connected, notifications occur on all my Apple devices. That was why I previously thought it is due to 2nd paired device’s notification coming thru. However, on my Apple devices, the notifications all pop up at same time.

Now, I believe the issue has to do with iOS notification. I got glitch/stutter even when I only have 1 device (iPhone) with me while at the park. Just yesterday, I heard this glitch or stutter while playing music, right when I got notification.

Issue occur periodically or with limited notification occurrences. And it is not clear which type of notification causes it. Most of my notifications are iMessages, so I tend to notice this after iMessages. Online, I found a few posts with related issue. Their complaint is not necessarily bluetooth but just distorted iMessage notification sound. But seems like issue is not so wide spread. Or most people just don’t care.

For $200 dollar, I can live with this issue; or spend extra effort to work around this issue. And it’s likely issue is on the iOS side, not the headphone.
1. GZ on the 200$ deal... Can you buy me a pair and send to germany? xd
2. I would also suspect iOS here. I only have that small stutter right when bluetooth pairing is going on in any way. Other than that I didnt hear any stutters.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #216 of 1,309
Some reviews refer to the fact that EQ is 'limited' to only from within the ShurePlus Play app... Not shure whether I agree to that being something that you could hold against Shure though. I would say this is more typical OS behaviour than anything else.. Only a few Smartphone manufacturers offer extensive sound processing capabilities in their OS additions...

And with all main streaming providers (Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz) not providing any EQ capabilities within their apps, I can see how this could be perceived as disadvantage... But from a fundamental perspective, I think this should rather lead to a more fundamental discussion..

Who in the (Android) ecosystem should be overall responsible for sound processing? The Smartphone manufacturer (OS level)? The headphones manufacturer (Headphone app level) or the Music player (irrespective of whether that's the streaming provider or Android player developer)?

I know that from within apps, for instance both FiiO's Music Player and USB Audio Player Pro offer great EQ capabilities from within the app and that work fine with the SA50..

And since UAPP provides access from within the app to both local library and main Hi-Res streaming providers (Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer) I think I have at least mitigated the EQ issue (Not that I really needed that)...

But to hold it against Shure that EQ is only available inside the app..??

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #217 of 1,309
Some reviews refer to the fact that EQ is 'limited' to only from within the ShurePlus Play app... Not shure whether I agree to that being something that you could hold against Shure though. I would say this is more typical OS behaviour than anything else.. Only a few Smartphone manufacturers offer extensive sound processing capabilities in their OS additions...

And with all main streaming providers (Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz) not providing any EQ capabilities within their apps, I can see how this could be perceived as disadvantage... But from a fundamental perspective, I think this should rather lead to a more fundamental discussion..

Who in the (Android) ecosystem should be overall responsible for sound processing? The Smartphone manufacturer (OS level)? The headphones manufacturer (Headphone app level) or the Music player (irrespective of whether that's the streaming provider or Android player developer)?

I know that from within apps, for instance both FiiO's Music Player and USB Audio Player Pro offer great EQ capabilities from within the app and that work fine with the SA50..

And since UAPP provides access from within the app to both local library and main Hi-Res streaming providers (Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer) I think I have at least mitigated the EQ issue (Not that I really needed that)...

But to hold it against Shure that EQ is only available inside the app..??
True story. And I'm not an EQ user anyways. Kinda makes no sense when buying headphones that fit your sound choice xd
Apart from that, saving the EQ settings on the headphones itself would solve that "need the same EQ settings on any device/app" problem.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #218 of 1,309
^^
^
I had always bought headphones based on the most neutral sound I could get for the money that I had/what I needed them for.
I have seen the reviewers/commenters here stating that the Aoinc 50's "Don't do what I need them to" sound wise.
IMO, They shouldn't. Any headphone should be as flat as possible at that price point/ what you need them for.
You then EQ around that flat response. If you do not start with that falr base, any EQ is going to further alter the sound signature
of the music, taking you further away from what was recorded.I have not used the Shure app once in terms of altering the sound, always done through
PlayerPro Premium. Even when I do EQ, which is rare, I look to the app and/or Foobar to alter the sound, not my Shures.
IMO it is counter intuitive To look at, essentially, your speakers to alter your sound. That's the last thing you want.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #219 of 1,309
^^
^
I had always bought headphones based on the most neutral sound I could get for the money that I had/what I needed them for.
I have seen the reviewers/commenters here stating that the Aoinc 50's "Don't do what I need them to" sound wise.
IMO, They shouldn't. Any headphone should be as flat as possible at that price point/ what you need them for.
You then EQ around that flat response. If you do not start with that falr base, any EQ is going to further alter the sound signature
of the music, taking you further away from what was recorded.I have not used the Shure app once in terms of altering the sound, always done through
PlayerPro Premium. Even when I do EQ, which is rare, I look to the app and/or Foobar to alter the sound, not my Shures.
IMO it is counter intuitive To look at, essentially, your speakers to alter your sound. That's the last thing you want.

Good post!

I don't liking using eq 95% of the time. But sometimes some albums really needing eq because the original master/recording isn't very good, sometimes because of limitations of vinyl or for other reason (not very good recording engineer). Professional eq is existing for a reason and eq'ing isn't so easy because is common the user exaggerating this or that frequency. I wishing shure can making using the eq possible without using the shure app. Sony, bang & olufsen and sennheiser do it. BUT for me is more important that shure offering more volume steps, which is a big problem (for me) with more modern masters (terrible result of the loudness wars!)

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #220 of 1,309
^^
^

BOOM! That’s me in a nutshell. I’m a very long time audiophile for 2 channel. Fairly known as I have helped many out systems together. It’s all about getting the system to recreate what the producer wanted. I want the timbre to be dead on. A bit of EQ using a parametric EQ is best. Folks can add all the bass they need and hopefully it won’t bleed into the mid bass or worse the mids. Jmho

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #221 of 1,309

Sony's EQ change is written to headphone. EQ is then applied to all sources (phones, computers, MP3 players) and independent of any app. So compared to what Sony did, Shure's implementation is limiting.

The headphone has a DAC, which likely has some signal processing. EQ could have being added to this signal path, either before or after the DAC. For instance, Shure's ANC normal vs max and ambient sound level settings are written to the headphone, so it will operate independent of the app. The same could have being done for EQ.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #222 of 1,309
Sony's EQ change is written to headphone. EQ is then applied to all sources (phones, computers, MP3 players) and independent of any app. So compared to what Sony did, Shure's implementation is limiting.

The headphone has a DAC, which likely has some signal processing. EQ could have being added to this signal path, either before or after the DAC. For instance, Shure's ANC normal vs max and ambient sound level settings are written to the headphone, so it will operate independent of the app. The same could have being done for EQ.

Respectfully disagree.
Instead of forcing you to go through their app to get the sound you want, you can either choose to use the Shure app OR eq through your normal player.
As I said, I haven't used the Shure app for anything other than battery and firm ware checks. People automatically check their player set up 1st anyway I would think.
Remember, these are speakers for your head, If you are looking for something else, these aren't your cans.
If you want nearly perfect, flat playback {I pity people with crap files} these are not going to be touched for quite some time.

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #223 of 1,309
Respectfully disagree.
Instead of forcing you to go through their app to get the sound you want, you can either choose to use the Shure app OR eq through your normal player.
As I said, I haven't used the Shure app for anything other than battery and firm ware checks. People automatically check their player set up 1st anyway I would think.
Remember, these are speakers for your head, If you are looking for something else, these aren't your cans.
If you want nearly perfect, flat playback {I pity people with crap files} these are not going to be touched for quite some time.

Your point is whether the someone likes this headphone's profile. Sure, if you don't use or don't need EQ, that's fine for you. That is not the point.

The discussion is how EQ is implemented. There are users who do want use EQ. And some might want to use different EQ for different type of music. And some users want EQ to be used with multiple music source (like Spotify, Pandora). Having the EQ written to the headphone like Sony enables most flexibility for the user.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #224 of 1,309
No. My point is that these are dead flat and it's on the user end to EQ the sound.
Imagine if you had to go into you speaker set up every time to adjust the sound?
It's an apples and oranges argument. IMO, the most flexability is a dead flat set of Phones that I can EQ through what ever I hook up to.
Where as you do not. Yet at the same time, you are slaved to the Sony app to EQ your phones. What is there is no interface on your connection to see what your set up is doing? You are essentially locked out in a home setting, and maybe a studio setting because you can't see what the headphones are doing, which at that point you have to......
set the EQ on the system.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #225 of 1,309
No. My point is that these are dead flat and it's on the user end to EQ the sound.
Imagine if you had to go into you speaker set up every time to adjust the sound?
It's an apples and oranges argument. IMO, the most flexability is a dead flat set of Phones that I can EQ through what ever I hook up to.
Where as you do not. Yet at the same time, you are slaved to the Sony app to EQ your phones. What is there is no interface on your connection to see what your set up is doing? You are essentially locked out in a home setting, and maybe a studio setting because you can't see what the headphones are doing, which at that point you have to......
set the EQ on the system.

Fully agree. I spend 99.9% of my music listening inside my player app, not inside my headphones app (especially since next to a vast offline library I also have subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz. UAPP therefore is my default player).

Although I rarely need EQ (I mostly use bitperfect anyway) I would imagine that those using EQ to correct flaws in bad recordings would want to do so actively.. For me that would mean that I would want to have EQ settings available at my fingertips... So inside the player where I can access the EQ settings quickly and efficiently.. And UAPP does have extensive EQ capabilities (Parametric, Morphit etc)...

But indeed, everyone's entitled to their own preferences.. For me that would definitely mean EQ inside the place where I spend most of my time.. And that's the player, not the OS and not the Headphone app..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back