Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #361 of 493
  Nice impressions, Starfly. By the way you describing it, 1540 sounds like closed HD650. Any resemblance at all?

I've never heard the HD650, so no idea there.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #363 of 493
Got in my SRH1540 today.

Not really sure what to make of them yet but so far I can say that they're bassier than I'd like. The bass is really distracting for me. There's probably a decent chance that I won't keep them.

More to come next week when I'll have more time to listen.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #364 of 493
Got in my SRH1540 today.

Not really sure what to make of them yet but so far I can say that they're bassier than I'd like. The bass is really distracting for me. There's probably a decent chance that I won't keep them.

Well if they are fresh out of the box, the sound will be pretty raw and boomy bass are often one of the consequences of raw sound so give it some time. I've heard them right out of the box and with 24-30 hours on them and the differences are rather big already. Will wait till it hits the 200h mark and try them again, hopefully they would be to my expectations and l'll get them.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #365 of 493
  Got in my SRH1540 today.

:)

They are ALMOST crossing into Basshead territory really! LOL. But I don't mind of course. I think the rest of the spectrum is handled pretty well and it has that un-offensive, laid-back kind of signature a lot of people would like. Still not sure if I'll keep them because overall I like them but I already have my bassy+tamed headphones.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #366 of 493
I think one problem is people asking about comparisons to 1k+ cans. That leads to very high expectations. These are not high end cans and should not be compared to them. They are good for what they are should only be prepared to headphones in a similar price range. Comparing these to high end cans will leave one disappointed.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #367 of 493
Well you can compare them to any portable can in the market. I say portable not closed as the Alpha Dogs don't exactly scream portable though it might sound better.

All the portables are IMO, Momentums, M500, P7 and all the other portables that can be seen used commuting with without a Brick Setup.

If you compare them like this they aren't half bad, in fact class toppers.

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #368 of 493
Well you can compare them to any portable can in the market. I say portable not closed as the Alpha Dogs don't exactly scream portable though it might sound better.

All the portables are IMO, Momentums, M500, P7 and all the other portables that can be seen used commuting with without a Brick Setup.

Yeah, but I wouldn't really call the 1540 portable either. So I do think it's better to compare them to other headphones that are aimed at a home setup, rather than headphones aimed at portable use.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #369 of 493
Hmmm interesting.... I like Shure products, maybe these will be a good replacement for my hifiman HE400, think ill wait for some more reviews before I think about spending that amount on them. Do these sound "open" and have a decent soundstage? Also do they have good treble which does not emphasise sibilance?

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #370 of 493
  Hmmm interesting.... I like Shure products, maybe these will be a good replacement for my hifiman HE400, think ill wait for some more reviews before I think about spending that amount on them. Do these sound "open" and have a decent soundstage? Also do they have good treble which does not emphasise sibilance?

Very good imaging, they don't sound open (lack air mids/highs and bass is definitely more than any open headphone I've tried -- haven't tried too much open cans though...), laid-back treble, un-offensive, no sibilance.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #371 of 493

Yeah, but I wouldn't really call the 1540 portable either. So I do think it's better to compare them to other headphones that are aimed at a home setup, rather than headphones aimed at portable use.

Well I can fit them into a portable Edens Headphone Case and they sound at least decent out of nothing but an iPhone so I guess it's considered portable.

I don't think the Alpha Dogs can do any of the above.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #372 of 493
Lets not forget the W1000X. Upon reevaluation, I think they make a pretty good, comfy portable can. Like the SRH1540 they sound good off a DAP.
Is there a closed alternative to these with more treble?
I mean a closed headphone with sparkling highs,forward mids and tight bass, and good soundstage, imaging. Not necessary basshead at all :)
Under 500 USD.
Or similar open cans? I really have to try AKG 7XX soon xP

Dec 14, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #373 of 493
i got SR
H​
940 today, i hated the pads so i changed them with the Awesome Alpha Pads, the comfort is way better!! sound wise no need to worry about the alpha pads :p they just placed the driver in a better position ^^ these really need their own appreciation thread. ​
 ​
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back