Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Dec 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #346 of 493
  I am scared to ask but... how'd these compare to the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X?
Similar street price, both closed so I am certainly curios if anyone had a chance to compare these :]

Just for the time being, with impressions... ppl are calling the 1540 more on the warm fun side, the W1000x Post Purrin Mods... is sterile and slightly intimate 

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #347 of 493
Just for the time being, with impressions... ppl are calling the 1540 more on the warm fun side, the W1000x Post Purrin Mods... is sterile and slightly intimate 

Are you expecting a SRH 1540? :)
The thing I find slightly strange with the W1000X is the soundstage is a bit inconsistent. It is not filled up evenly and it sometimes sound off...
That and the tonal balance is a bit unreliable too... I mean I like them but...
Funny thing is that to my ears the Sony MA900 is almost a superior headphone to my ears at less than 1/2 the price. Both more balanced but still more engaging and spacious. It's unfair obviously as it is an open headphone but still :/
I am curios about the 1540 now xD

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #348 of 493
Are you expecting a SRH 1540?
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing I find slightly strange with the W1000X is the soundstage is a bit inconsistent. It is not filled up evenly and it sometimes sound off...
That and the tonal balance is a bit unreliable too... I mean I like them but...
Funny thing is that to my ears the Sony MA900 is almost a superior headphone to my ears at less than 1/2 the price. Both more balanced but still more engaging and spacious. It's unfair obviously as it is an open headphone but still :/
I am curios about the 1540 now xD

Need to mod and L3000 Pad the w1000x before you write it off. It has a magical quality to it with the right amp. She's a picky girl honestly 

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #349 of 493
Need to mod and L3000 Pad the w1000x before you write it off. It has a magical quality to it with the right amp. She's a picky girl honestly 

Now this? She is picky now!?
God damn it! I thought she was satisfied with my little Sansa and now you say she ain't happy...
Stupid girl. I better hear some 1540 favorable comparisons or else...
Nah kidding she is staying for now... For now...

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #350 of 493
Now this? She is picky now!?
God damn it! I thought she was satisfied with my little Sansa and now you say she ain't happy...
Stupid girl. I better hear some 1540 favorable comparisons or else...
Nah kidding she is staying for now... For now...

Oh MY girl is picky since I modded her a little... differently than I should have... OOPS xD 

Ehm, my w1000x has a slight bit of dampening at the bottom of the holes where the screws are, to my understanding these help flesh out the bass and low mids. With a slighty darker warmer amp. The w1000x is magical! So that said, she would make a nice compliment to a more fun and warm 1540 imo 

That said, I've got a heavily modded D2k inbound that will make a nice contrast to my lovely w1000x <3 anyhow Con let's take this to the W1000x thread! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #351 of 493
Oh MY girl is picky since I modded her a little... differently than I should have... OOPS xD 

Ehm, my w1000x has a slight bit of dampening at the bottom of the holes where the screws are, to my understanding these help flesh out the bass and low mids. With a slighty darker warmer amp. The w1000x is magical! So that said, she would make a nice compliment to a more fun and warm 1540 imo 

That said, I've got a heavily modded D2k inbound that will make a nice contrast to my lovely w1000x <3 anyhow Con let's take this to the W1000x thread! 

Fine,
But I am still looking out for a comparison from the.kind and generous people.out there "wink"

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #352 of 493
Fine,
But I am still looking out for a comparison from the.kind and generous people.out there "wink"

Meh I'm not to interested in a comparison. The w1000x... is a wonderful headphone, and a picky one but I've not found much that can compete with it's total package.

For me it's still the rock GODDESS [or rather Post Rock Goddess] 

Ehm that said, I guess a comparison wouldn't b to bad! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #353 of 493
the Beyerdynamic DT770s both which don't exactly suit my taste. The T70 didn't pique my interest, and the Momentum on-ear is...on ear, which isn't ideal to me, and supposedly sounds worse than the regular Momentum which sounded really great but had leather pads which is not my thing.
hDDnd7

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #354 of 493
Okay guys, so I received the 1540 today and am listening to them right now. Here are a few of my very initial impressions:

One thing I can already say is that I'm probably not going to keep them: comfort :frowning2: They have this weird fit where they don't completely cover my ear. This is because the earcups don't extend down far enough, and they extend down at a weird angle instead of straight down. The alcantara pads themselves are quite comfortable though, nice and plush and soft.

Soundwise, the main difference I'm hearing so far when comparing to my Sony 7520 is the clarity of the 7520. The 1540 sounds slightly veiled compared to the 7520, especially in the highs. And the 1540 is missing that last bit of detail that the 7520 provides (which also give the 7520 that analytical quality). I can see why a lot of people like the 1540 though, the sound is 'smooth' and 'easy', not offensive. There is barely any sibilance, if at all, whereas you hear sibilance regularly on the 7520. So the 1540 is quite a polite headphone to listen to.

In terms of soundstage, I'm honestly not really hearing a big difference yet between the 1540 and 7520. But I'll of course listen to them more closely in the coming days and make up my mind about this 1540. The real test of comfort is how long I can wear them without having to fidget with them.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #355 of 493
  One thing I can already say is that I'm probably not going to keep them: comfort :frowning2: They have this weird fit where they don't completely cover my ear. This is because the earcups don't extend down far enough, and they extend down at a weird angle instead of straight down. The alcantara pads themselves are quite comfortable though, nice and plush and soft.

I'm sorry but... do you have a huge head?!? LOL
I know it sounds funny, but I find the headphones extend quite a lot at "Shure's" usual weird angle (i.e. if you take a look at the mirror, you'll see what I mean) so it should cover most people's heads. I have a long-ish face (like a horse Hahahaha ok ok, I'm better looking though! :p) and the earpads and comfort is splendid. But yeah, if they are not comfortable, they have to go.!

Originally Posted by starfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Soundwise, the main difference I'm hearing so far when comparing to my Sony 7520 is the clarity of the 7520. The 1540 sounds slightly veiled compared to the 7520, especially in the highs. And the 1540 is missing that last bit of detail that the 7520 provides (which also give the 7520 that analytical quality). I can see why a lot of people like the 1540 though, the sound is 'smooth' and 'easy', not offensive. There is barely any sibilance, if at all, whereas you hear sibilance regularly on the 7520. So the 1540 is quite a polite headphone to listen to.

In terms of soundstage, I'm honestly not really hearing a big difference yet between the 1540 and 7520. But I'll of course listen to them more closely in the coming days and make up my mind about this 1540. The real test of comfort is how long I can wear them without having to fidget with them.

Thought as much... so one of my assessments is already true (brighter) :wink:.
Now, something you have to keep in mind, don't confuse BOOSTED UP TREBLE with providing more "details"... just thought I'd throw that out there as I have had my share (and still have) of "bright" headphones and my warmer ones provide the same or better detail extraction and clarity.

Also agree with your assessment that they are not offensive.

Not sure what you usually use to test/look out for imaging/separation/etc. I usually listen to Salsa, Merengue, Soundtracks and pop acts.

Keep us posted.

Dec 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #356 of 493

I'm sorry but... do you have a huge head?!? LOL
I know it sounds funny, but I find the headphones extend quite a lot at "Shure's" usual weird angle (i.e. if you take a look at the mirror, you'll see what I mean) so it should cover most people's heads. I have a long-ish face (like a horse Hahahaha ok ok, I'm better looking though! :p) and the earpads and comfort is splendid. But yeah, if they are not comfortable, they have to go.!

Thought as much... so one of my assessments is already true (brighter) :wink:.
Now, something you have to keep in mind, don't confuse BOOSTED UP TREBLE with providing more "details"... just thought I'd throw that out there as I have had my share (and still have) of "bright" headphones and my warmer ones provide the same or better detail extraction and clarity.

Also agree with your assessment that they are not offensive.

Not sure what you usually use to test/look out for imaging/separation/etc. I usually listen to Salsa, Merengue, Soundtracks and pop acts.

Keep us posted.

My head is not particularly huge, perhaps a bit long and narrow, kinda like the way you're describing your head. And my ears are fairly average as well, about 65mm long.

And don't worry, I'm not confusing boosted treble for more detail. I'm actually hearing more detail in the midrange with the 7520, compared to the 1540. What I'm hearing, to be exact, is the attack of the instruments which is more audible on the 7520 than on the 1540. But less recessed highs of the 7520 does add to the sense of clarity I get from that headphone. The overall sound signature is more clear, more transparent and detailed I guess, on the 7520. The downside of this all is that it's also more analytical and less 'smooth' than the 1540.

For imaging and separation and soundstage I tend to listen to well recorded classical music, or well recorded rock music. I try to avoid pop music or electronic music for that, as that's generally less well mastered.

Here is by the way a fun video for testing 3D soundstage on your headphone:

Compared to the 7520, the 1540 portrayed the 3D space better. I think this is due to the fact that the 7520 has slightly angled drivers, putting the soundstage a bit more upfront, whereas the 1540 doesn't have angled drivers and they fire directly at your ears.

But for soundstage and stuff I need to do more testing. Will come back in a few days to post more impressions.

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #357 of 493
  And don't worry, I'm not confusing boosted treble for more detail. I'm actually hearing more detail in the midrange with the 7520, compared to the 1540. What I'm hearing, to be exact, is the attack of the instruments which is more audible on the 7520 than on the 1540. But less recessed highs of the 7520 does add to the sense of clarity I get from that headphone. The overall sound signature is more clear, more transparent and detailed I guess, on the 7520. The downside of this all is that it's also more analytical and less 'smooth' than the 1540.

Got it.
I would compare the Yamaha MT-220s similarly, but the Yammies boosted up highs actually introduce a bit of "hiss" and sibilance and that's one of their only downsides and the mellower mids on the Shure's are more to my liking... (this is probably because I got used to the Mad Dogs, Ultrasone Signature Pro, warm-ish, laid-back sound).

For imaging and separation and soundstage I tend to listen to well recorded classical music, or well recorded rock music. I try to avoid pop music or electronic music for that, as that's generally less well mastered.

Here is by the way a fun video for testing 3D soundstage on your headphone:

Compared to the 7520, the 1540 portrayed the 3D space better. I think this is due to the fact that the 7520 has slightly angled drivers, putting the soundstage a bit more upfront, whereas the 1540 doesn't have angled drivers and they fire directly at your ears.

But for soundstage and stuff I need to do more testing. Will come back in a few days to post more impressions.

Cool.
Keep us posted.  :wink:

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #358 of 493
Thanks to everyone for providing feedback on the 1540's re: glasses.  I too took the Ear Solutions cyber Monday (cyber week?) special and made the jump as well.  Shipping to PA was lightning fast and I spent a few moments with the phones during lunch today.  Initial impressions are fantastic!  I smiled while holding the phones for the first time... pictures just don't do these phones justice. The build quality is excellent and while the phones are super light, they're still substantial.  I don't feel like I'm holding a toy.  And, damn, those Alcantara pads are awesome!  Comfort is top notch and I didn't feel any irritation while wearing glasses.  I might have detected a bit of a seal issue while wearing my glasses but I'll have to sit the phones a bit more and play with the sizing/placement.  I must say, they definitely have a unique form factor.

Sonically, the phones sound great out the box (and what a large, sturdy carrying case it is).  After reading a few reviews, I was concerned that the highs were going to be more recessed than they are (to me anyway).  They're certainly more tamed/recessed than some of the Shure IEM's I've had, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.  Also, I'm coming from some Ultrasone's and the shrilless highs are much appreciated.  The mids were well defined and represented.  And the lows... very well done indeed.  As previously expressed, there's certainly a bit of emphasis and warmth but it blends well with the overall sonic representation of the phone.  I didn't detect any bleeding, and the bass seemed fairly well controlled which was impressive considering that I was pushing the phones straight from my iPhone 5.  Instrument separation is also quite impressive.  I could hear subtle beat boxing on a few tracks that was barely audible with my Ultrasone's (or some of my IEM's for that matter).  

How's the mind/burn in time with these?  Has anyone experienced any significant sonic changes?  Also, how are the phones responding to larger desktop/portable amps?  I don't have mine handy to test out.  Since the phones are only 46 ohms they don't need much juice.  I'm considering the Schiit Magni/Modi desktop setup, any one listened to the Shure 1540's with any Schiit?

Cheers! 

Dec 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #359 of 493
Hey guys, I just posted this in the Sony 7520 thread and figured I'd post it here as well. These are my final impressions comparing the 7520 to the 1540.

Sony MDR-7520
  1. Mid to upper-mid bass hump, more poweful bass.
  2. 'More' sound. Hard to explain, but when switching back and forth, I just seem to pick up more music on the 7520, more details I guess.
  3. Clarity!
  4. Highs a bit crisper, a bit more present as well. But, very unforgiving with bad recordings (sibilance will not be masked).
  5. Mids a bit more forward on the 7520 (or a bit more recessed on the 1540?)
  6. Bass seems to be a bit more defined on the 7520 and a bit punchier. 1540 has a more laid back bass.
  7. In terms of comfort, the 7520 wins hands down. No contest! :)               

Shure SRH1540
  1. Wider soundstage, good imaging and depth. Better than the 7520 in this respect.
  2. Highs are neither harsh or rolled-off (as some have been reporting). There is perhaps a bit of a longer decay compared to 7520, so slightly less crisp.
  3. In general, notes seem to linger slightly longer than with the 7520, which gives it a more smooth and pleasant sound, though it detracts from the sense of PRaT.
  4. Quite forgiving of less well mastered recordings.
  5. Mids are very pleasing, very nice. I'd say the mids are the best aspect of this headphone. It has nice definition, although I'd give the 7520 a slight edge in mid-range detail. This mostly has to do with the 'attack' of the instruments, the leading edge of a note. This makes the 1540 come across as sounding smoother, especially noticeable with the guitar and the piano. Because of this, the 1540 misses that last bit of edge, if that's what you're looking for. It's a subtle difference though.
  6. Instrument separation is on par with the 7520, so very good.
  7. On some songs the 1540 is somehow able to lift the vocals up above the music, a quality I like about this headphone.
  8. Sound signature is overall a bit darker than the 7520.

My final words are that the 1540 is a really good sounding headphone. I like the somewhat laid back quality of it and it could potentially have been a replacement for the 7520, if the comfort would have been good, which it absolutely isn't for me. The earcups don't extend down far enough for me, and I also can't pivot the earcups far enough so that they are flat against my head, so now they're at this weird angle where the lower part of the earcup squishes my earlobe, and the top part barely touches my head. Strange design, you'd think they'd have a more flexible design so it would fit more heads. Oh well. Since I already know I'm returning them I don't see the point in keeping them much longer, so I'm shipping them back tomorrow.

I think that for now I'll stop shopping around for other headphones, I'm very content with the 7520. It sounds very good and measures up very well to even more expensive headphones such as the 1540. Actually, in many ways it beats the 1540, but I do think the overall sound signature of the 1540 is very pleasing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back