Shure announcing new SRH1540 in Tokyo today! - Head-Fi TV
Dec 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #331 of 493

I don't find them "darker" per se, bassier yes.
Love the instrument separation and it is definitely up there with the 1840 and HD600. Very clear as well, but as I mentioned I liken them more to the 840s but more refined. :wink:
I haven't had the 1840s in months so maybe members with both at the moment might provide more detail.

I'm rocking mine right now.
Listening in Shuffle mode as usual. Genres I listen to: Emo, Pop, Punk, Metalcore, Salsa, Merengue, Hip Hop, Trance, House and Reggaeton. :wink:

Too bad you don't have the Sony 7520 to compare it to :)

Dec 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #332 of 493

Too bad you don't have the Sony 7520 to compare it to :)

If grizzly's thoughts and impressions against the Yamaha's MT-220 are to follow, I guess I can probably say that against Shure's, the Sony's:

1) Are brighter.
2) Have good separation with clear mids and highs.
3) Have Highs that are a more accentuated (especially from 4-6Khz and maybe at 8Khz as well and higher) I feel that the Yammies are sometimes hit and miss with the Highs and the MDR-7520s might behave similarly...
4) Bass presence is lesser
5) Less comfortable (but not by a mile.)

:wink:

This is just, again, assuming that the 7520s are indeed as similar as the Yammies...

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #333 of 493

If grizzly's thoughts and impressions against the Yamaha's MT-220 are to follow, I guess I can probably say that against Shure's, the Sony's:

1) Are brighter.
2) Have good separation with clear mids and highs.
3) Have Highs that are a more accentuated (especially from 4-6Khz and maybe at 8Khz as well and higher) I feel that the Yammies are sometimes hit and miss with the Highs and the MDR-7520s might behave similarly...
4) Bass presence is lesser
5) Less comfortable (but not by a mile.)

This is just, again, assuming that the 7520s are indeed as similar as the Yammies...

Well I'm really looking forward to hearing these myself. Hopefully I'll get them this week, but I'm not holding my breath for it. It's taking forever. I have the feeling that currently Shure is mostly producing these headphones for the US holiday season and that Europe will follow later.

I'm especially looking forward to the comfort aspect though, which has been my main caveat with all the headphones I've tried so far. The 7520 is the first headphone I've tried that has decent comfort. But, the comfort could be better :) I tried the 1840 in a store last week and the comfort was really great, so I have high hopes for the 1540.

Dec 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #334 of 493
  i could get a good sound card as well, but definitely not one that's 200 dollars or something like that especially if i might be getting the o2 amp + dac combo.

I'm trying to convert all my music into wav as well, but EAC (exact audio copy) only decompresses some of the stuff, and on a lot of my stuff that's also mp3s, it just says that i's already uncompressed... so i'm really not sure what to do with that.

plus, it wont let me decompress my entire library at once, is there another program that can just do an entire library at once decompressing/converting mp3s to wav. also, need a way to tag all of the uncompressed files afterwards because i have 12k+ songs, and i dont want to relabel them one by one...

WHOA hold on, PLEASE make sure you are not transcoding lossy [mp3] into lossless [wav, Flac ape ect...] that will make your music sound WORSE >.>

If you ripping CD's shoot me a pm I can help maybe but NEVER please NEVER transcode a MP3 into a wav... think of pear. If it starts out whole [wav] then you chop it up into small chunks [mp3] the pieces still taste and feel like teh whole right? But now if you try to Put those pieces back into a whole fruit... well you can't can you :3. Once you chop [or compress] a fruit you cannot uncompress it. It's like trying to get a whole pear from nothing but Diced Pear chunks! Anyways moving on 

Ehm that said, now how did these compare to the MD and ADs? 

Dec 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #335 of 493
Anyone think the Epiphany EHP-O2D would go well with these?  I like the look of it and the reviews, but I hear it has a warm sound, so I don't know if it would complement the richness of these or not? Plus I don't want the bass emphasised any more than it already is. Difficult without having heard this DAC (and auditioning is hard where I am). 

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #336 of 493
Hi folks, thanks for the reviews and feedback on the 1540's!  I'm a newly anointed Head-Fi member (first post actually) and I have a question for the glasses wearers out there... how are the 1540's in terms of leakage, seal, and comfort while wearing glasses?  The Alcantara pads look adaptable enough and the light weight design could lend itself well to wearing glasses, but it's always hard to tell (nowhere to audition).  For reference, I'm coming from some Ultrasone Pro's which I never had any trouble with leakage, seal, or comfort.

I read this post by HiFlight comparing the 1540 and the KEF M500's (which I'm also considering) and thought to ask in this thread for opinions and thoughts.  Any feedback is most welcome.

Many cheers!

Dec 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #337 of 493
If you do buy these, I would be interested to see a comparison between SRH1540 and AD2000X. I have the AD2000X and am interested in the SRH1540 as well. Not sure if anyone currently owns both these headphones...

Well I ended up buying one today, so you'll get that comparison sometime before the end of the month (my AD2KX is currently out on loan). EarphoneSolutions' Black Friday deal was a little too good to pass up.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #338 of 493
  Hi folks, thanks for the reviews and feedback on the 1540's!  I'm a newly anointed Head-Fi member (first post actually) and I have a question for the glasses wearers out there... how are the 1540's in terms of leakage, seal, and comfort while wearing glasses?  The Alcantara pads look adaptable enough and the light weight design could lend itself well to wearing glasses, but it's always hard to tell (nowhere to audition).  For reference, I'm coming from some Ultrasone Pro's which I never had any trouble with leakage, seal, or comfort.

I read this post by HiFlight comparing the 1540 and the KEF M500's (which I'm also considering) and thought to ask in this thread for opinions and thoughts.  Any feedback is most welcome.

Many cheers!

I wear glasses sometimes, and so far have found no issues whatsoever in terms of leakage, seal or comfort while doing so with the 1540s on. The shape and general design of the headband means the two barely even interact.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #340 of 493
If you do buy these, I would be interested to see a comparison between SRH1540 and AD2000X. I have the AD2000X and am interested in the SRH1540 as well. Not sure if anyone currently owns both these headphones...

Well I ended up buying one today, so you'll get that comparison sometime before the end of the month (my AD2KX is currently out on loan). EarphoneSolutions' Black Friday deal was a little too good to pass up. :wink:

Same here. I took Earphone Solutions' cyber-Monday deal and ran. This was not a planned purchase, & I'll now have to put off another purchase I was considering (Shure SE846)

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #341 of 493

Many cheers!

No problems with the Shures + Glasses. I have two sets of glasses (one with a thicker frame) and none give me any comfort problems (and I'm a fan of comfort... sometimes preferring it over sound! eeeeek! LOL). No leakage as far as I know, at least none of my cubicle buddies next to me have said anything though I don't listen to ear-bleeding levels either. Isolation is very good with music on.

I also owned the Kef M500s a few months ago and I definitely prefer the Shure's over the M500s in every category! Comfort goes to Shure. Although the M500s are the BEST on-ears I've tried regarding this comfort factor, their memory foam pads after a few hours receeded too much and I had to re-adjust. Sound also goes to Shure. Yeah, bass is indeed MORE powerful than the M500s but sound stage is wider, instrument separation BEATS THE PANTS off of the M500s and the overall signature is "funner". I said before that the M500s seemed to be the little brothers of the Mad Dogs as in similar sound signature in an on-ear format (meaning warm sound with good bass and tamed highs) so it is definitely more "neutral-ish" than these Shure's but man oh man, I do like these headphones! It would be New Toy Syndrome if I hadn't had them for a few weeks now and if I didn't have the headphones I have... but these rate highly to me.

Well I ended up buying one today, so you'll get that comparison sometime before the end of the month (my AD2KX is currently out on loan). EarphoneSolutions' Black Friday deal was a little too good to pass up.
wink.gif

Awesome. Earphone Solutions kick ass! I have bought most of my Shure headphones from them! (including this one)

I wear glasses sometimes, and so far have found no issues whatsoever in terms of leakage, seal or comfort while doing so with the 1540s on. The shape and general design of the headband means the two barely even interact.

+1

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #342 of 493
Well finally! I should receive my 1540 tomorrow :) Will compare them to the 7520.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #343 of 493
  Well finally! I should receive my 1540 tomorrow :) Will compare them to the 7520.

Awesome!
Will see if my assertions a few posts above ring true indeed!!!

biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #344 of 493
I am scared to ask but... how'd these compare to the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X?
Similar street price, both closed so I am certainly curios if anyone had a chance to compare these :]

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #345 of 493

I think you will love them....think of the 7520 but way opened up and airy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back