Shure 846 vs. JH Roxanne's
Mar 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

IaHawkeye

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had the chance to try both? I have a pair of Roxanne's on order, but it's looking like it's going to take another 8-10 weeks, so thinking about saving some money and switching to shure 846.

I have never had a pair of CIEM's but I do have a pair of shure SE 535's and B&W P7's that I like

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 113
I have the Roxanne, and recently auditioned friend's 846.

I have to say JH Audio customer service sucks big time.

You should also consider Noble K10 at the same price point (not the 8c or N6, nope. They will try to tell you different model are good for different things, but in fact they are just inferior).

This is frequency response of 846:

Oh well, you get better resale value
wink.gif

846 boys, come forth!

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 113
Let's just all agree that they are all very good, but that the Shure is better...
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS: it didn't matter how hard I tried, I never been able to enjoy the HD800 or LCD2, so that might explain things.
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 113
As I've mentioned before, I spoke personally with Steve Guttenberg (who writes The Audiophiliac and for CNET) about his experience with both the 846 and the Roxanne. He told me he preferred the 846 over the Roxanne.

Several people have gotten mad about this and made various ad hominem attacks over it. I am simply accurately conveying what a very well respected member of the audiophile community told me of his experience. That's all.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 113
All you guys saying tr shure 846 is the way to go, have you heard/demod the Roxanne?

For those saying try the 846, the optimal word is "try". It's not zero-sum. You try, you don't like, you return. I don't think that applies to customs.

But, you can do like me and wait for the Roxanne universal edition. I'm starting to think though, I may try, I may not. I really like the 846.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 113
I don't understand why people bother comparing a universal to a custom. At this level, the difference is really not in the sound. They can both be excellent, and even though one may slightly better satisfy your sound quality expectations, it will not be a game changer like moving up from a low-end or mid-tier IEM.

The real difference here is that a universal will always bring along it's fit issues. Longer initial insertion time, cable tug seal loss = longer re-insertion time, exercise/movement/sweat seal loss = longer re-insertion time. Plus the possibility that you are neither a S nor a M, or neither a M nor a L, and the former doesn't seal enough while the latter puts too much pressure. If you are willing to put up with that to obtain a higher resale value, then all power to you.

If on the other hand you value more something something that just fits correctly, immediately, then get a custom.

At this luxurious four digit price level, for me it's a pretty simple choice. However, if current TOTL universals we're priced say at $500, then it would be a much harder decision.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 113
But, you can do like me and wait for the Roxanne universal edition. I'm starting to think though, I may try, I may not. I really like the 846.

Please do :D. Ive wondered how the universal Roxanne sounds with its variable bass and if it compares to the bass of the 846. I have not found a comprehensive review or comparisons of the universal version to other high end uiems.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 113
Do you guys think JH (or westone, for that matter) will copy Shure's patented low pass filter? You can have all the drivers you want, but if you don't deliver the SE846's amazingly clean and undistorted bass then that's a fail.

PATENT-PENDING DESIGN FOR UNPARALLELED LOW END
  1. Groundbreaking low-pass filter enables low-end rolloff at ~3 dB at 90 Hz (~10 dB at 250 Hz)—the previously unattainable deep low-end performance of a true subwoofer—without sacrificing clarity or detail
  2. Ten precision-welded, stainless steel plates form 4 inches of high acoustic mass pathway, naturally enabling low frequency rolloff to begin at about 75 Hz without distortion or artifacts
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones/se846-sound-isolating-earphones

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 113
Well if the idea is patented, then other companies cannot copy it.  Just depends on what exactly Shure's patent covers.

In any case, JH already has their unique selling point: "Freqphase".  I'm sure they are perfectly happy with the crossover on their Roxannes, so I don't seem them needing or wanting to copy Shure's idea for what is basically a mechanical crossover rather than electrical (at least that is how I understand it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back