Shure 846 vs. JH Roxanne's
Apr 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #31 of 113
  Quick questions: Do you take along time to put on Roxanne? I have the SE 846 custom sleeves and it takes along time to put on/off. 

Very fast. if you are talking about full customs.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #32 of 113
   Very fast. if you are talking about full customs.

Thank you, I was holding back on customs for this very reason. I wear IEM to almost everywhere I go, like grocery, shopping etc and  I really need an easy on and off as I am a very talkative person and say hi to almost every one I meet. So that's great to know, and I very close to pulling the trigger. I just need another confirmation which I ask at the Shure 846 thread. 

I will ask here since I got you now, you mention that the Roxanne is brighter than shure 846, what filter were you using on shure 846 when making comparison, were you using the white filter (brightest filter) or the blue Neutral filter.

Thanks AW

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #33 of 113
I used white filter. Also, Roxanne is not that much brighter. It has the right amount of brightness to not fatigue you over long listening sessions.
I was like you, very skeptical about customs, but beleive me, once you put them in, you won't take them out. Just make sure, you do the correct impressions with well known audiologist. And if you go for JH product, be prepare for long wait.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #34 of 113
  I used white filter. Also, Roxanne is not that much brighter. It has the right amount of brightness to not fatigue you over long listening sessions.
I was like you, very skeptical about customs, but beleive me, once you put them in, you won't take them out. Just make sure, you do the correct impressions with well known audiologist. And if you go for JH product, be prepare for long wait.

Thanks for confirming. So would you rate them the same brightness level in general?

I had one ear impression ready to go so I might just send it over. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #35 of 113
Roxanne is a little brighter. It also depend on the source. I use zx1 and it is the bright DAP.

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #36 of 113
  Quick questions: Do you take along time to put on Roxanne? I have the SE 846 custom sleeves and it takes along time to put on/off. 

This was actually a big concern going to customs for me as well.  It takes some time the first few days, but eventually it's literally takes about a second - like snapping your fingers.

I actually do both ears simultaneously. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #37 of 113

This was actually a big concern going to customs for me as well.  It takes some time the first few days, but eventually it's literally takes about a second - like snapping your fingers.

I actually do both ears simultaneously. 

Wow, you good. I can't do that.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #39 of 113

How often do you listen to yours?  Mine are in my ears at least 6 hours/day, it might be that my ears have molded so well that it's no effort at all.  I can't recall the last time I inserted them individually.

About the same - 5-6 hours. Very very comfortable. I don't understand why people choosing to buy universals over customs, specially if they are in the same price range.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #40 of 113

About the same - 5-6 hours. Very very comfortable. I don't understand why people choosing to buy universals over customs, specially if they are in the same price range.

First I got to make an ear impression and send it off to somewhere. Then I have to wait 6 months+ for my Roxanne's to arrive after I paid $1500. On the other hand I can buy a Shure SE846 from most audio stores and walk away with them the same day. And I got positive experience with Shure customer service. 

I also have no fit or comfort issues with Shure IEM's in general. Else I would have gone with the Roxanne for certain.

I'm still curious though how much better those 12 drivers sound (whether it's just a little upgrade or a major sound quality upgrade).

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #41 of 113

First I got to make an ear impression and send it off to somewhere. Then I have to wait 6 months+ for my Roxanne's to arrive after I paid $1500. On the other hand I can buy a Shure SE846 from most audio stores and walk away with them the same day. And I got positive experience with Shure customer service. 

I also have no fit or comfort issues with Shure IEM's in general. Else I would have gone with the Roxanne for certain.

I'm still curious though how much better those 12 drivers sound (whether it's just a little upgrade or a major sound quality upgrade).

I had the same concerns before I got Rox, but now I have no regrets. And it took about 45 business days from the day I order. It would be faster, I would order acrylic in the first place.
You are right, customs for people who are willing to wait. But it worth it in the end.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 113
IMO, the biggest issue against customs is the resale value.  Most things I purchase I buy used, so when I want to move on I sell for minimal loss (in some cases, like my old L3000s, I actually *made* $600 after using them for 1.5 years).  

I'm not entirely sold on customs.  They do isolate a bit better, I can eat with them (sorta - they make a bit of a sloshing noise as I chew), and the sound is consistent, which is nice.  I didn't particularly have alot of problems with universals.  Whenever I listen to my TG!334s I don't feel like the experience is giving up much.

If I were a more casual IEM user and primarily headphone/speaker listener, I would probably not feel that spending $1500+ is worth it.  But I use these alot, they're a tool for my job.  If I get 2 good years of use out of them, my BOTE calc on usage is (30 * 52 * 2) = 3,120 hours.  I got these on the BF sale, and assuming I can sell them for reshell at half what I paid, they basically end up costing me ~$2 a day, or a cup of coffee.  I think that's a decent value...

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #45 of 113

I didn't want to deal with JH Audio long waits and fit issues, so I bought the universal version of the Roxanne. I haven't spent enough time with them yet for a definitive comparison, but they are definitely in the same league as the SE846. So far, I have been listening to the SE846 with balanced cables (ALO and Moon Audio) from an HM-901, HM-700 or AK240. I just wished that somebody had balanced cables for the Roxannes. I suppose that it is just a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back