Shure 840 vs Shure 940
Jul 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #31 of 42
I own the 840, not the 940. I love my 840's the sound is very natural, very alive, and energetic, almost perfect reproduction. They are built very well, and holding them you feel that build quality, and they can easily be powered from my ipod or android. I cannot ask for more from a closed circumaural headphone. Plus these dont sound like a closed headphone, they sound more open, however they block outside noise, and dont allow the music to leak.
I cannot comment on the 940's but I highly recommend the 840's.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #32 of 42
Can someone share the actual listening experience between SRH940 vs SRH840 in term of:
1) Bass. Which one has more quality bass which is tighter, deeper, punchy and not the "BOOM BOOM BOOM"?

2) Sounds stage. Which one has the wider sounds stage?

3) Sounds separation. Which one has very detail separation?

4) Mids range.

5) High. Which one has a very smooth treble yet it won't hurt your ear?

6) Confort

7) Build quality

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #33 of 42
I have read others state that the 840 is outstanding for vocals, mixing or listening.

Assuming that this is the case, does the 940 excel further in that area or not?

I understand they are different HP with different signatures.

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #34 of 42
Hi Everyone

I can offer my thoughts.

Firstly I need to confess I'm a bit more into headphones than a 'normal' person. Don't know why but I think because I use them so much - more than any other product in my life really - and I also love good sound. I am a professional video producer so I work with sound often.

My current selection of cans is as follows:

Sennheiser HD280 Pros (x2)
Shure SRH-840
ShureSRH-940
AKG 512 MK2
Logitech H800

Last week my Shure 840s broke in 2, randomly, for no reason. I was putting them on - suddenly the left earcup is just not part of the rest - a totally clean break just above the coupling where it joins the headband. Not happy at all. These have only ever been used at home and treated like the prized possession that they are (were).

That said, I have yet to hear a pair of headphones that even come close to the 840s - they are simply stunning soundwise - especially the clarity and punch of the bass, but the detail is also striking and they sound surprisingly light, airy and open.

So to cheer myself up a bit and to make sense of the whole situation I bought a pair of SRH 940s (Shure refuse to fix the 840s under warranty as they are over 2 years old - which is very poor as this product failed, not wear and tear, it was clearly faulty, they want £80 to repair them).

So I have to tell you, the 940s don't sound as good at all to my ears. Bass is lighter, and they are harsh in the treble, I honestly can't listen for too long as they are just not that enjoyable. The 840s you just can't listen to enough - I bought them having almost missed a flight once because I could not stop playing '1 more track' in duty free!

So I'm actually quite surprised, the 940s are revealing but in a 'too much treble' kind of a way. Bass is just not as solid - it's just like a Jackhammer on the 840s and although clear, it just has less oomph on the 940s.

It could be the 940s are better for mixing, it could be the 840s are a bit more bassy than they should be, but seriously, get the 840s and spend the rest on the Logitech bluetooth cans for the bus - they sound pretty good for what they are. Be warned the 840s have an itchy headband pad - but for the sound it's worth it! The 940s are way more comfy but frankly who cares!

I would still take the Sennheisers as my work-horses though as they sound very good (more listenable than the 940s) but they can be worn for a whole day without getting uncomfortable. 

By the way - I have done a proper 'pepsi challenge' to write this, when I hold the 'dangling by its wire' left cup over my left ear the 840s still sound better than the 940s, more open, fuller but super-crisp base, astounding detail (you seriously catch yourself turning around because you think you heard something in the room - then you realise it was in the room the recording was made in - really - it happens to me often).

Also, separation better on 840s, and vocals sweeter (used Burn by Ellie Goulding for that - the beginning is a clean vocal and a well-produced one at that).

I will update after the 940s have 'broken in' but then I don't really believe in all that - the 840s rocked my world on day1.

Let's face it - I'm gutted.

Hope this helps. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #35 of 42
Hope this does not reach you too late.

Get the 840s!!!!

I just left the 940s on for 20 hours at around 70% volume (no amp here - mainly PC use) and they sound just as bad so far. The bass distorts at volumes where the 840 just slam with taught, tight detailed bass, they are less open sounding than the 840s, and way harsh in the highs to my ears. I have to be brutal  - they sound rubbish.

So they are going back to the shop on Monday and the 840s are going back to Shure for a paid repair. 

Hope this helps. I cannot stress enough how  - to my ears - the 840s are in a different league and I must point out they have been awesome since the first minute I put them on.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #36 of 42
  Hope this does not reach you too late.

Get the 840s!!!!

I just left the 940s on for 20 hours at around 70% volume (no amp here - mainly PC use) and they sound just as bad so far. The bass distorts at volumes where the 840 just slam with taught, tight detailed bass, they are less open sounding than the 840s, and way harsh in the highs to my ears. I have to be brutal  - they sound rubbish.

I'm not aware of any "distorted" bass on the srh940. You may have used any other adjective , as "lacking", or perhaps even muddy, but it's not distorted at all.  Yes the srh940 doesn't produce tons of bass , but IMHO it's in the "good average", for enough people to consider it neutral.
About the harsh highs, not everyone experience this, and it's seems related to the distance to the position of the ears in the ear-cups. I've experienced this too, and I  tamed this by adding a little rope inside each ear cups (see my review on the head gear section for more details).
As long as this harshness becomes tamed (but not eliminated) , I  consider it as part of the charm. This works pretty well with music that needs some "aggression" such like "brutal death metal", or anything industrial.

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #37 of 42
Hi Extrabigmehdi

I'm not using a word that does not describe what I'm hearing - the bass is distorted at the same volume that the 840s deliver it big, tight and clear. The music is no louder, the bass is simply distorted. I'm starting to wonder if I have a dodgy set of headphones here to be honest - I guess it can happen, but I work with sound every day in a studio situation, so I know distortion when I hear it and this is unquestionably distortion. The kind of stuff that blows your drivers, if you let it continue. This is not 'a bit woolly' or 'muddy', this is distorted. Sounds truly awful and like something is about to fail.

It is a little lacking for sure (at lower volumes there is no distortion so I can judge it), but I can live with that if there is some upside, but there isn't.

The harsh highs are ear-bleeding in my opinion and at best very very tiresome after about 15 minutes, yet I too enjoy a good bit of attack in my sound. Charming it is not. Grating is the word I would use. They are 'fine' (but not endearing) at lower volumes but as soon as you give it some volume it all just falls to pieces for me, in the same way a plate falls to pieces when you smash it on the floor.

Anyway - they go back tomorrow - they are clearly not for me.

Thanks for your input regarding your experience with them. Ultimately you need to listen first. These were bought based on a few reviews and  my love for the 840s - lesson learned but I will continue to buy Shure mics and 840s as long as they are available.

Putting this one down to experience!

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 42
   Sounds truly awful and like something is about to fail.

Well perhaps a problem with your source, I  don't know. I  remind someone once complained of distortion, but after boosting the bass from his source. I  personally can boost the bass with eq (I avoid digital clipping by adding some "headroom", i.e reducing volume at the eq level).

The harsh highs are ear-bleeding in my opinion and at best very very tiresome after about 15 minutes, yet I too enjoy a good bit of attack in my sound

Yes my first experience with the srh940 almost made me cry, and unlike you I  couldn't cancel my buy.
However, with my little rope trick, I  managed to have the right amount of attack. And I  can listen to "chillout" stuff for long periods without problem.

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #39 of 42
Well I'm not certain they will take these back but Norway has a statutory 14 day  cool off so hopefully that will help - as will the fact I buy all my audio equipment there. But source-wise - the same source sounds heavenly through the 840s which are very revealing headphones, so I don't think that is the problem - I think it's just a mismatch of ears to cans.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #41 of 42
  I own the 840, not the 940. I love my 840's the sound is very natural, very alive, and energetic, almost perfect reproduction. They are built very well, and holding them you feel that build quality, and they can easily be powered from my ipod or android. I cannot ask for more from a closed circumaural headphone. Plus these dont sound like a closed headphone, they sound more open, however they block outside noise, and dont allow the music to leak.
I cannot comment on the 940's but I highly recommend the 840's.

This is my exact experience of the 840s too. I simply LOVE their sound. Bass is weighty - personally I do not think it is overblown, it is tight and detailed and agile. At the same time they are very revealing.

Build quality - mine snapped in half out of the blue - but I will always make sure I own a pair, for the money they are ridiculously good. I find the headband itchy on my head, but now I have wrapped some leather around it and that problem is solved.

Ultimately you need to listen before you buy as I know several people who love their 940s as much as I love the 840s so you need to audition them. If you can't, then I have never heard a bad word from other 840 owners, so I think that is the safer bet if you have to buy without an audition. For me the 940s were a totally different and much less listenable sound, but each to their own.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #42 of 42
Just to 'put the cat amongst the pigeons', I also use AKG 512 MKIIs with MrSpeakers lambskin ear pads (perfect fit) and they sound great too (not quite up to the 840s in my opinion but good bass, nice detail, clear mids) and the comfort is exceptional. Those MrSpeakers ear pads make a big difference though - I highly recommend that upgrade.  Worth a listen against the 840s and if you like them then the sound just gets better with the new pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back