Shure 840 vs ATH M50 vs Beyerdynamic 990 PRO, 770 PRO
Aug 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

artazzzzzz

New Head-Fier
Hi there
I have been searching for decent headphones, studying graphs and I have stopped at these:
Shure 840 vs ATH M50 vs Beyerdynamic 990 PRO, 770 PRO
Now can you guys tell me which one is the best?
P.S    990 PRO is open headphone but its frequency response seems better than 770 PRO.
Thanks for your responses.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 12
What kind of music do you like? I like the M50, because I like its sound, exaggerated treble and bass. I hear the SRH840 have better sound quality, but I personally do not like the higher quality sound they produce (not because it's high quality, because of the flat sound). 

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
What kind of music do you like? I like the M50, because I like its sound, exaggerated treble and bass. I hear the SRH840 have better sound quality, but I personally do not like the higher quality sound they produce (not because it's high quality, because of the flat sound). 

I listen to variety kinds of music, from deep electro house to pop,raggae, R&B. One more thing I want to know which is better for portability? Soon I will start attending colledge so I want to listen headphones via iphone ir ipod.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 12
artazzzzzz
there really is no "best."
there is simply "different."

all those are worthy cans.  and all perform equally well depending on your music preferences and listening habits...

also, the headphones selected may also depend on what types of devices you will plug the headphones into.
the dt990 pro headphones are 250 ohms.  and won't be easily driven by portable music players.
the dt770 pro comes in two different impedances.  250 ohms, and 80 ohms.
the 80 ohms should work okay w/ most portable players.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I listen to variety kinds of music, from deep electro house to pop,raggae, R&B. One more thing I want to know which is better for portability? Soon I will start attending colledge so I want to listen headphones via iphone ir ipod.

ath-m50 or shure srh840.
i own both, and find the audio technicas more "fun".
the shures are more neutral, but i find them somewhat less engaging to listen to.

at $110 new, the m50 represents a great value.
i own it, have bought it for others, and recommend it often.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
ath-m50 or shure srh840.
i own both, and find the audio technicas more "fun".
the shures are more neutral, but i find them somewhat less engaging to listen to.

at $110 new, the m50 represents a great value.
i own it, have bought it for others, and recommend it often.

Well.. At the graph I find that M50 has frequency response drop at 10Khz, is that really noticable? also a small drop on 50-100 Hz.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
"...the dt990 pro headphones are 250 ohms and won't be easily driven by portable music players..."

My S9 drove a 600 ohm Beyer at CanJam completely un-amped to a normal listening level for me without distortion. I'm not sure how battery life would be, but it's just something to note... Portable amps are over recommended in my opinion.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 12
i'm not really sure that our ears hear the small anomolies in a FR graph.

however, the graph is useful because it shows us the overall sound signature of the phones.
beyond that, it's splitting hairs in my humble opinion.

the basic sound of the m50 is a headphone that has a bit more bass than neutral, and very slightly recessed mids.  and overall can present a somewhat dark sound signature depending on the source and material.

the bass on the m50 reaches very deep, and sounds pretty great.
the mids has never been a big issue for me. 

i don't listen to music terribly loud.
but, i find that the m50 has tremendous headroom.  especially for a closed can.
it can be turned up incredibly loud, and the sound does not fall apart.
the shures exhibit an upper midrange glare when cranked up. 

hope all that helps.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
My S9 drove a 600 ohm Beyer at CanJam completely un-amped to a normal listening level for me without distortion. I'm not sure how battery life would be, but it's just something to note... Portable amps are over recommended in my opinion.

sure.  i can listen to any of my three 600 ohm cans thru my ipad if i choose.  and get decent volume.
however, i will not be getting the same quality of sound as through dedicated amplification.

also, portable amps are not only over-recommended.  they are over-rated as well.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
i'm not really sure that our ears hear the small anomolies in a FR graph.

however, the graph is useful because it shows us the overall sound signature of the phones.
beyond that, it's splitting hairs in my humble opinion.

the basic sound of the m50 is a headphone that has a bit more bass than neutral, and very slightly recessed mids.  and overall can present a somewhat dark sound signature depending on the source and material.

the bass on the m50 reaches very deep, and sounds pretty great.
the mids has never been a big issue for me. 

i don't listen to music terribly loud.
but, i find that the m50 has perhaps tremendous headroom.  especially for a closed can.
it can be turned up incredibly loud, and the sound does not fall apart.
the shures exhibit an upper midrange glare when cranked up. 

hope all that helps.

okey, it really does. :) 2 more questions.
1. which one is more portable you think?
2. what's the difference between beyerdynamic 770 pro and 770 2005 edition?

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 12
the m50 is reasonably portable.
it is slightly less bulky, and weights slightly less than the others you mention.
however, it's still a full-sized circumaural headphone, granted.

the dt770s are a tough nut to crack.
there are several versions, including some older models.
but basically the current iterations are the 2005 models.  and those come in 80 and 250 ohms.
i have heard the 80 ohms, and it is bass heavy, and has bright treble.  overall, a nice headphone, but i prefer the m50.
i have not heard the 250, but have read that it is slightly more balanced and smoother sounding.

however, the dt770 is a big 'un. 
larger ear cups, etc.
you might look pretty goofy wearing them out and about.
not that the m50 or srh840 would be much better... 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
the m50 is reasonably portable.
it is slightly less bulky, and weights slightly less than the others you mention.
however, it's still a full-sized circumaural headphone, granted.

the dt770s are a tough nut to crack.
there are several versions, including some older models.
but basically the current iterations are the 2005 models.  and those come in 80 and 250 ohms.
i have heard the 80 ohms, and it is bass heavy, and has bright treble.  overall, a nice headphone, but i prefer the m50.
i have not heard the 250, but have read that it is slightly more balanced and smoother sounding.

however, the dt770 is a big 'un. 
larger ear cups, etc.
you might look pretty goofy wearing them out and about.
not that the m50 or srh840 would be much better... 
tongue_smile.gif

thanks for your responses! tough m50 wins, couldnt realise it, but it does ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back