Shure 840 Frankstein Headband Mod - Mission Complete!
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 39
ty, a lot went into it :]

pretty sure its one of a kind
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #17 of 39
Cheater,

Questions!  
  1. So your mod thread never shows the completed mod - will you finish the how-to?  
  2. You talked about it being fine with just the pleather wrap on the metal, so what is the padding shown on this tread?  The VE foam you talked about?
  3. You mention a senn 580 headband - does that just fit right on with the screws at the hinges? Is that really necessary for weight redux or do you still get the 25% with just the removal of all the stuff that makes the padding on top...
  4. Does it still collapse as original?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I love these cans but worry one day I will turn my head too fast, the inertia of these massive cans will keep them from moving with me, resulting in my inadvertently covering my mouth and nose and causing my untimely demise (read: too friggin heavy).

Thanks for any info you can give...

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
Cheater,

Questions!  
  1. So your mod thread never shows the completed mod - will you finish the how-to?  
  2. You talked about it being fine with just the pleather wrap on the metal, so what is the padding shown on this tread?  The VE foam you talked about?
  3. You mention a senn 580 headband - does that just fit right on with the screws at the hinges? Is that really necessary for weight redux or do you still get the 25% with just the removal of all the stuff that makes the padding on top...
  4. Does it still collapse as original?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I love these cans but worry one day I will turn my head too fast, the inertia of these massive cans will keep them from moving with me, resulting in my inadvertently covering my mouth and nose and causing my untimely demise (read: too friggin heavy).

Thanks for any info you can give...

The very first picture is the completed version, as far as i decided to take it

The headband does not reach all the way, its too big actually.  I had to cut them into sections and only use three pieces instead of the four.  Also, unless you file the edges of the headband as you see them on both ends of the sennheiser replacement band, you can only hold three and the edges stick out.  If you file that down, you can fit the headband on without cutting it into pieces.  The weight reduction is almost totally all in the headband.  It's so heavy, it makes me sick, and its so poorly constructed, it all needs to go.  For added comfort i chose that sennheiser band, but once you open the guys of the 840 band itself, you see a thin white piece of padding.  Right under that weird textured material that rests on your head, that tiny little piece of foam is all you get.  So, i removed it all, sewed it back up and added the sennheiser band.  massive improving.

Still collapsed just like normal, the only thing I would advise against is removing the slide locking piece that control how much the headband contracts and expands.  I dont know why I removed it, I had a weird idea of adding my own pieces instead of that and it actually lead to the headband itself coming totally apart.  Keep that piece on so that does not happen lol.  

the 840 gets my vote for the most poor design of a set of headphones that were supposed to be taken seriously...the cord is exposed on both ends?  Genius work there.  The headband is massive and includes the thickest piece of heavy rubber ive ever seen in a set of headphones...EVER.  And it had no need to be there at all.  It offered almost no padding on your head what so ever and is meant to be used as a monitor?  HOURS A DAY?  Wow, also genius designing there.

seriously, the 840 is terrible in design, but immaculate sounding.  Its a real shame.

Mar 27, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 39
Where did you get this headband, is it from the 600/650 or did you make it, I followed the other link and could not see the similarities to the one pictured above NVM didnt see the Sennheiser 580 post

Mar 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #21 of 39
i don't understand why everyone thinks its so heavy. i never have problems with it being uncomfortable or to heavy. wonder why that might be?

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #23 of 39
This is seriously interesting. I have the 440 but I suppose they are close enough in design for me to use this mod as a starting point. I tried to open the headband on my set once, to see how it was built. I didn't get far since I quickly noticed you can't open it without taking a knife to it. 

Now that I know all this bulk can be removed without diminishing the headphone's integrity, I will not hesitate to take out a very sharp object next time... But before I do any of that, I need to find a replacement headband cushion. I searched for replacement pads for sale, but didn't find anything satisfying. Ebay seems not to be listing any. What keyword should I be looking for? Anyone have a particular pad they would like to recommend for the purpose of this hack? From what I learned, and for the hack I have in mind, I would prefer a one-piece pad instead of a bumpy one like used here.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 39
necromancer here XD what pad did you use? are those customs or sennheiser headband pads?

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 39
hey kimlaroux, I also have a 440 and planning to mod it - i'll post photos here when i get around to it

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 39
modded my SRH 440 - way more comfortable now that the rubber padding is gone. that thing was heavy.

also did an easy mod to increase the depth of the earpads - check this link for the mod.

i placed temporary padding under the headband - will post photos once i get ahold of better padding.

tempted to order the SRH 840 pads but I don't know how to get it to the PH

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
modded my SRH 440 - way more comfortable now that the rubber padding is gone. that thing was heavy.

also did an easy mod to increase the depth of the earpads - check this link for the mod.

i placed temporary padding under the headband - will post photos once i get ahold of better padding.

tempted to order the SRH 840 pads but I don't know how to get it to the PH

I bought the SRH940 velour pads for my 440. The difference between them and the original 440's is just unbelievable.

So I take it the 440 can be moded just like the 840? that's great news. Did you have to cut the cover of the original headband?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 39
yep, sliced right through it. you have to be careful though, cut on the side opposite of where the wire sticks out.

about the 940 pads - are they shallow? my ears (before the earpad mod) were always touching the thin cloth covering the driver and it was really irritating. seeing that the 940 pads are velour, they may end up bringing my ears closer to the driver than before.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #29 of 39
Nice that looks pro

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #30 of 39
Thanks for the mod Mr. Portable! What are the 840 pads supposed to do for the 440s sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back