Shure 750DJ Surprise Before Midterms
Nov 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 30
@RPG
Sorry I haven't responded for a while, school has been majorly hectic.
As far as the Shure's go, I sent them back. Even after 4-5 days of burn-in, I still couldn't get the "thunderous" bass that the XB500 produce. 
I am kicking around the idea of snagging a pair of XB700 to see how they compare to the 500 
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
Looking forward to that as Shure 750DJs are one of the headphones I'm interested in trying. I like warm bassy headphones with smooth highs and forward non-recessed mids. XB500 does a very good job at that after EQing but I wouldn't be suprised if Shure 750DJs, Denon D1100 or Ultrasone HFI-580 would be a good option for me too. M50 and DT770 weren't my cup of tea at least. LCD-2 would probably be a nice headphone but I aint spending $1000 on a headphone.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 30

Quote:
@RPG
Sorry I haven't responded for a while, school has been majorly hectic.
As far as the Shure's go, I sent them back. Even after 4-5 days of burn-in, I still couldn't get the "thunderous" bass that the XB500 produce. 
I am kicking around the idea of snagging a pair of XB700 to see how they compare to the 500 
darthsmile.gif

Aww, that was a bit dissappointing to hear. Thanks for letting me know though. I don't quite think you'd like XB700 either, it's got quite a bit less bass than XB500 but while the bass quantity is still huge it's just way too much deep soft bass that doesn't have impact & punch for my taste at least, perhaps you like deep bass though I don't know but it's also less "fun"/warm sounding, more laid back and brighter highs. However I can't stop wondering how much these XB500 have changed from the initial VERY smooth highs or overall sound, the highs have definitely opened up after use, especially when I've used them with Gary's amp for a while and after a high volume high pitched noise accident, the highs needed quite a bit of a boost at beginning for the XB500, now they don't need nearly as much boost on the EQ anymore and if I'd use my initial EQ settings I'd get that same "harsh" high effects like I experienced with the ATH-M50 and it feels like it's slightly less bassy now compared to initially as mids and highs sticks out more now but I don't mind as I've grown to appriciate the mids and highs so much more now, it's went from some songs' bass overpowering the vocals to vocals overpowering the bass a bit from a basshead's point of view.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 30
I had them plugged into my MacBook Pro with the iTunes EQ switching between Rock and Latin. Those two settings for some reason seem to give me the best bass. Also, I just couldn't get used to the Shures and the way that they felt. Maybe it is just a "mental" thing, but the headband, even after bending it for a while, was still smashed onto my head and made the overall experience non-enjoyable 
triportsad.gif

Quote:
@ RaZrReD - thunderous bass? 
eek.gif
What equipment did you plug the SRH750DJ and XB500 into? And how did you EQ these headphones?  

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 30
You "may" have damaged the drivers. See the "crazy mod" link in my sig.

Quote:
However I can't stop wondering how much these XB500 have changed from the initial VERY smooth highs or overall sound, the highs have definitely opened up after use, especially when I've used them with Gary's amp for a while and after a high volume high pitched noise accident, the highs needed quite a bit of a boost at beginning for the XB500, now they don't need nearly as much boost on the EQ anymore and if I'd use my initial EQ settings I'd get that same "harsh" high effects like I experienced with the ATH-M50 and it feels like it's slightly less bassy now compared to initially as mids and highs sticks out more now but I don't mind as I've grown to appriciate the mids and highs so much more now, it's went from some songs' bass overpowering the vocals to vocals overpowering the bass a bit from a basshead's point of view.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #21 of 30
@ 1Time

Do you think I should give the Shure Dj750 another shot? As soon as I took them out of the box and noticed the headband almost flat, it sort of left a bad impression on me. I mean, I was expecting the same amount of bass as the Sony XB500 straight out of the box, but it was sort of lacking in bass also 
deadhorse.gif

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #22 of 30
I've said it before but XB500 is probably the bassiest headphone around (but it's not bad quality bass), I would be suprised to find another headphone with equal amount of bass, so I'm not suprised you found the Shures to be less bassy but how does it compare like when bass is put aside? Which sounds warmer and how's the highs?

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 30
@RPG

I really did not focus on the other parts of the sound. I was mainly focused on the bass produced and how it compared to the XB500. I am thinking about snagging a pair of 750s again and going at it for a second time. I plan on evaluating the whole soundstage with the music I have and will definitely decide whether or not the two are the same.

As far as the headband goes, does anyone have any ideas as to why they may have been shipped so flat? If this is normal, is their a proper way to bending them to the size of your skull 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
@RPG

I really did not focus on the other parts of the sound. I was mainly focused on the bass produced and how it compared to the XB500. I am thinking about snagging a pair of 750s again and going at it for a second time. I plan on evaluating the whole soundstage with the music I have and will definitely decide whether or not the two are the same.

As far as the headband goes, does anyone have any ideas as to why they may have been shipped so flat? If this is normal, is their a proper way to bending them to the size of your skull 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm actually getting SRH750DJ's and will be able to A B test with the XB500( about 400hours use) and my used SRH750DJ( 100 or so hours use) If you have any questions about the two I'll be posting my thoughts on them.

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #25 of 30
@SoSpecial

Sounds good. I have about 2 weeks left in the semester for Nursing school, so when it finishes I will probably retry the DJ750s again. Still on the look-out for anything that can top the XB500 
o2smile.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 30
Seems like you didn't give it a fair chance. You might want to try burn-in, EQing the bass, amplification, and modification / adjustment for comfort. That's what I expect to do with my SRH750DJ after I receive shipment - if you're interested in my take on their bass performance. 

Quote:
@ 1Time

Do you think I should give the Shure Dj750 another shot?

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #28 of 30
Well for me the bass quantity isn't that much of an issue as kX Audio drivers would allow distortion-free 30dB bass boost if need be but how it sounds like matters though, EQ won't add a significant punch if it already lacks it or if it's overly punchy with no proper deep bass then EQ might not fix that either. Ofc I'd expect Shure 750DJs to need EQing to take it to the same quantity as XB500 if that's what you're looking for, but I wonder how it sounds apart from the bass too. :) ATM after the XB500's been burnt in etc to sound much better than it did initially I just can't imagine a headphone that sounded more to my liking in whatever price range (possibly LCD-2 but that's in a totally different budget and I'd probably need a strong amp + some EQing to get the bass to my liking), everything sounds exactly what I'm looking for. It's really funny how much details in the sound and satisfaction I find after some EQing in a headphone that costed 43 EUR and got "Extra bass" printed all over the box, was totally different experience than I had expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back