Shure 750DJ Surprise Before Midterms
Oct 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Blu.

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to get out a quickie before the anxiety sinks in for exams...

Recently, I purchased a Shure 750DJ from a local music store in Kingston, Ontario. They were selling them for $189.99 but after telling him about cheaper prices at JR's and several different places I was able to get them for $100. It was just a deal I just couldn't walk away from. Upon receiving my headphones I noticed that he also gave me a straight cable and a coiled cable...SCORE! These headphones come with an additional set of pads, a leather bag that says Shure on it and an adapter. I put them aside in order to be burnt in with pink noise and a plethora of other tools and songs. However, horrible roommate-itis kicked in and my Sennheisers and my Grados were no match for his loud Skype sessions so I had to bring out the Shures. While the Shures do not block out ALL of the noise they did however block out enough noise to allow me to study for my midterms. I started up some classical music to test out the soundstage, details and depth of the music and was pleasantly surprised. For a $100 headphone it did its job better than my HD600s with amp and my Grado R1s...studying had now taken a backseat. As I listened on I was becoming more curious about the extent of their capabilities. The sound was smooth, rich and delicious it was like a premium chocolate milkshake. The soundstage was fantastic and provides an experience similar to that of sitting in a concert hall with live music. For a closed headphone that's pretty darn good. The sound is accurate. Every note, breath and sound is discernable. I'm very impressed with these so far. I cannot wait for them to be burnt in. 

Cheers

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 30
Glad you're enjoying your headphones--just don't forget to actually study for those exams from time to time. 
wink.gif

I'm a med student and have exams in Pathology and Microbiology next week.  Just a couple of hours ago I was informed that there will be construction noise outside the study hall tomorrow...  Definitely wish I had a pair of closed headphones now!

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 30
I'm plugging it into a MacBookPro but my songs are straight from vinyl and lossless...the benefits of working at the radio. : ) Sometimes when I'm in the a bad mood I go to my special place and just pretend the world's not there with my best friend Morgan Jones. Tis the life of a Queen's student. : )

Oct 22, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 30
I think your more a bass-head. The SRH750DJ has WAY more bass than HD600 and I think HD600 has more bass than RS1i, correct me if i'm wrong. The SRH750s are indeed very good, if you like pronounced bass. But i don't find them as refined as my HD600's.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I think your more a bass-head. The SRH750DJ has WAY more bass than HD600 and I think HD600 has more bass than RS1i, correct me if i'm wrong. The SRH750s are indeed very good, if you like pronounced bass. But i don't find them as refined as my HD600's.

Warm, bassy cans are pretty easy to like, IMO. Sure, a premium chocolate milkshake would taste good immediately, but once you acquire the taste of fine wine in an RS1 or HD600, it will always taste better in the end.

I love comparing sound to food. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 30
How in the world did I miss this thread? I am a Nursing student (level 1) and am in the final stretch before the end of the semester. For those who are cramming it this weekend...good luck 
darthsmile.gif

I am only posting in here because I just ordered a pair of Shure SRH750DJ from JR and will be comparing them to my Sony Xb500. 

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
Warm, bassy cans are pretty easy to like, IMO. Sure, a premium chocolate milkshake would taste good immediately, but once you acquire the taste of fine wine in an RS1 or HD600, it will always taste better in the end.

I love comparing sound to food. 

I'll take the milk-shake every time, hate wine. Beer, on the other hand...

As an aside, I was in Mississauga once. Camped just outside at Indian Line.

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
How in the world did I miss this thread? I am a Nursing student (level 1) and am in the final stretch before the end of the semester. For those who are cramming it this weekend...good luck 
darthsmile.gif

I am only posting in here because I just ordered a pair of Shure SRH750DJ from JR and will be comparing them to my Sony Xb500. 

Looking forward to that as Shure 750DJs are one of the headphones I'm interested in trying. I like warm bassy headphones with smooth highs and forward non-recessed mids. XB500 does a very good job at that after EQing but I wouldn't be suprised if Shure 750DJs, Denon D1100 or Ultrasone HFI-580 would be a good option for me too. M50 and DT770 weren't my cup of tea at least. LCD-2 would probably be a nice headphone but I aint spending $1000 on a headphone. xD

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 30

Blu. said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm plugging it into a MacBookPro but my songs are straight from vinyl and lossless...the benefits of working at the radio. : ) Sometimes when I'm in the a bad mood I go to my special place and just pretend the world's not there with my best friend Morgan Jones. Tis the life of a Queen's student. : )

Thanks for your instruction! It is exactly what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back