Shure 530 vs. 535? HELP!!
Sep 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

beatmaker234

Head-Fier
I went to my local store the other day to try out the Shure 530's and was amazed at the quality. The owner told me that he stopped ordering the Shures 530 due to the 535's being released and the only pair of 530's left were the demo ones that i tried out. Now he said he'll still give me a carrying case and tips with the Shure 530's but he also said that they been on display for a year and a half but only 6-10 customers ever asked for him to demo them. Now im stuck in a dilemma and i need Head-Fi's help. Below i will list all my options and i need help choosing 1.

1. Spend 300 dollars on the demo Shure 530's

2. Go to another store and get the Shure 530's brand new for 420 dollars

3. Spend 500 dollars on a brand new Shure 535

Questions

1. How long do the Shures 530 or 535's last? I take great care of  my items and always use the carrying case. I'm hoping with spending this much they last for 5-10 years.

2. For the Shure 535's how much money will it be to replace a cable if i ever need to?

3. Will shure replace the 530 cords under warrenty if they crack even tho they are discontinued?

Thx

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 12
All has been answered on the main SE535s thread...you might want to check it out.
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 12
For my money...getting the SE535s is the way to go....better treble (not rolled off), better soundstage and indestructible construction.

You can use the cables to lock you bike!

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Not sure if it makes any difference now with the passage of so much time since the last post but I have the 530's and although I like them, and treat them with a great amount of care, I've had them replaced twice in 1 year 10 months under warranty due to the rubber boot that protects the cable becoming separated from where they attach to the IEMs.  So I wouldn't expect them to last more than about a year or two beyond the date of the last time you get them replaced under warranty.

Shure will replace them out of warranty for a set price of $140 I believe.  Even though it's discontinued, I'm guessing they probably have a pretty large supply of them on hand for replacing purposes.

If it was me, I would either get the demo (if they come with the two year warranty) or the 535's.  With the heavy duty and most especially replaceable cable, the 535's really should last for many many years, imo, unlike the 530's.  So yes the 535's are worth the extra money, but I would wait for some time to pass for prices to come down a bit.  In my case, I can enjoy my newly replaced 530's while I wait for the 535's to become a bit more affordable.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 12
That price for the Shure 530's is excellent!  In daily use, and in my case, if the cable will fail (mine had frayed insulation just before the molded connector), they will most likely fail well within the warranty, so you should be in great shape.  So go the SE530's and wait for the 535's to come down a bit.

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
I went to my local store the other day to try out the Shure 530's and was amazed at the quality. The owner told me that he stopped ordering the Shures 530 due to the 535's being released and the only pair of 530's left were the demo ones that i tried out. Now he said he'll still give me a carrying case and tips with the Shure 530's but he also said that they been on display for a year and a half but only 6-10 customers ever asked for him to demo them. Now im stuck in a dilemma and i need Head-Fi's help. Below i will list all my options and i need help choosing 1.

Questions

1. How long do the Shures 530 or 535's last? I take great care of  my items and always use the carrying case. I'm hoping with spending this much they last for 5-10 years.

2. For the Shure 535's how much money will it be to replace a cable if i ever need to?

3. Will shure replace the 530 cords under warrenty if they crack even tho they are discontinued?

Thx

1. Take the demo (with the 2 years guarantee period) listen to it a bit, and comment on it in the right tread. And finally, send back to Shure for a free replacement with the new SE535 !
And again, come back with new comments on it !

voila!

wink_face.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

Questions

Thx

Answer 1. It depend how often you use it to lock your bike !
Answer 2. Visit shure website,  (go see the store you purchase the demo phone)
Answer 3. No, if they have 530 in stock, they will send you new pair. If not, and you'll lucky,
they send you a brand new SE535.  I think u are a lucky guy! Make a move!
lol

biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 12
My advice to you after owning SE530s, owning 535s/425s right now
Drop $500 for the 535s (BTW you can get them for cheaper)
The Shure replacement cables are $40~50
As long as you don't somehow break the drivers, you will get 5-10 years out of them
The SE530s are great but too fragile, far from ideal for everyday usage the cable will eventually wear out
But by having detachable cables, and the cables are kevlar-reinforced it's a very tank cable (If I were to worry about a faulty cable it would probably be in the 3.5mm termination if it were ever to happen)

1) Demo's for $300 is too pricey for long term investment (as you have outlined)
2) Purchasing a new pair for $420 is ridiculous when you could pay $80 more and have complete peace of mind

But it's all up to you
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back