Shuoer impressions thread
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #1,156 of 3,872
So I tried these guys on, I think they're extremely tip and fit dependent, I'm going to have to roll all night because when I first put them in with the iBasso tips I regularly use, they sounded pretty good, then I rolled the stock Shuoer tips on and they sounded incredible. I changed the song and it sounded even better, the first thing I thought, finally, the soundstage is back! But then, like a minute later, it started being so shrill it was pretty much unlistenable. I tried foam tips and it was even worse, I don't think the fit was right at all. It sounded absolutely like when you don't have a good fit, very sibilant, sharp and distant. The Spiral Dots helped a bit, currently have wider bore iBasso medium tips on them and those sounded best of all, the sound finally returned to natural and not ridiculous. I let them play just a little bit on their own at reasonably high volume, don't know how much I believe in burn-in anymore but I might as well give it a few hours.

If I can get it to the level of first hearing them with the stock Shuoer tips, that would be incredible. The sound was wide, the focus on the bass was much more lower than on the IT01, which while very pleasant, fun and warm, were a bit too smooth in the mid-bass which really made a lot of prog rock sound too relaxed and slow.

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,157 of 3,872
Is there someone had a change to try combo the tape with fiio btr3/btr5 compare with direct to source ?

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,159 of 3,872
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,160 of 3,872
Is there someone had a change to try combo the tape with fiio btr3/btr5 compare with direct to source ?

Yep, what do you want to know?

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,161 of 3,872
Yep, what do you want to know?
Is there any degradation in term sound quality ? (Less bass/ treable/bright).. had tried to combo it with trn bt20s but seem not too good...

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #1,162 of 3,872
So I tried these guys on, I think they're extremely tip and fit dependent, I'm going to have to roll all night because when I first put them in with the iBasso tips I regularly use, they sounded pretty good, then I rolled the stock Shuoer tips on and they sounded incredible. I changed the song and it sounded even better, the first thing I thought, finally, the soundstage is back! But then, like a minute later, it started being so shrill it was pretty much unlistenable. I tried foam tips and it was even worse, I don't think the fit was right at all. It sounded absolutely like when you don't have a good fit, very sibilant, sharp and distant. The Spiral Dots helped a bit, currently have wider bore iBasso medium tips on them and those sounded best of all, the sound finally returned to natural and not ridiculous. I let them play just a little bit on their own at reasonably high volume, don't know how much I believe in burn-in anymore but I might as well give it a few hours.

If I can get it to the level of first hearing them with the stock Shuoer tips, that would be incredible. The sound was wide, the focus on the bass was much more lower than on the IT01, which while very pleasant, fun and warm, were a bit too smooth in the mid-bass which really made a lot of prog rock sound too relaxed and slow.
I am using the stock tips. Couldn't see any need to change them! I did change the cable to the one from the Tin T3 though, and this sounded a tad smoother without loss of detail.

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #1,163 of 3,872
Okay, I didn't want to reply too early cause my impressions change often with these, so I might as well now

You mean like 99.9% of all IEMs out there?

Obviously, but of course that's not what I meant when I said extremely dependent. The IEMs I've had before would change character with different tips or would be obvious to tell if they didn't fit correctly. These straight up sound broken if I don't mess around with them to position them just right in my ears every single time I put them on. These are the first IEMs I've owned that have aboslutely 0 driver flex, which is great but it's hard to judge a fit when I don't hear that driver flex back just right or the vaccuum pop (don't know how exactly to describe this) that tells me that there's a proper seal. With these, I just kind of get them in where the isolation is on the level of a good fit and then shoot in the dark, twisting them around to get a good sound out of them.

I don't think my ears are particularly picky, they've changed over the years but I've never had to finesse IEMs to sound good before like this. I appreciate the look of these, they are some weird mf'ers and I find them seriously cool to look at, especially with the silver cable I have on them, but I'd have preferred something more conventional if it meant that the fit was effortless.

I had to experiment a bit with sources, for some reason it seems to me that turning my X3 III to low gain instead of high gain which is kind of what I've always defaulted to makes it sound less shrill to me. On high gain and decent volume, these sounded distorted in the high end, overwhelming, but now at the same volume they seemingly sound fine. This could be just a by-product of me messing with the tips and fit all the time and in the meanwhile I just got a better fit regardless of the gain level on the source. But hey, just something I've observed, although it doens't really make sense to me that it'd make a difference when volume matched.

Aside from being finnicky with the fit, I find these to be finnicky with the material you're listening to. I personally really dislike when a set of cans or IEMs is particularly good for a specific type of recording, I prefer all-rounders. These for me personally at this stage, anything with very distorted, dry guitars sounds almost like the drivers were blown out. So that means a lot of metal (but strangely not all), but even Hammer to Fall by Queen sounds almost unlistenable on these due to the vocals and guitars sounding way too shrill. That 3.5-4k hill probably has a lot to do with it, but to me it doesn't sound like a hill but a nasty peak somewhere, could still be me having issues with the fit, who knows at this point

When they work though, they work great. They feel treble-heavy of course, but unless the track is extremely saturated in that hill area, it balances out nicely.

Some things I've noticed compared to the IT01 I used before, if anyone has them and is considering a switch to the Tape:

- the vocals have way less body, both male and female. The IT01 doesn't present the vocals way forward since it's still got that dip in the midrange but they sound very full due to the smoother mid-bass. The Tape presents vocals cleanly, more often further in the background unless like in Hammer to Fall they hit that peak too harshly and start splitting your ears. The female vocals are a bit less affected but the IT01 I feel still renders them better and warmer. The very good thing is that the Tape hasn't been sibilant at all in my experience, which is something I was expecting considering how the vocals are overall presented.
- the soundstage on the Tape is much wider, but at times they can sound hollow. There are certain tracks that make them sound empty and shrill, but we'll see how it sounds once I get more used to them, I suppose.
- the Tape is very detailed. The details that are extremely panned to either left or right come through much cleaner and are very easy to hear and follow along than on the IT01, which goes for a smoother sound.
- due to more focus on the sub bass and less on mid-bass, I find that drum hits/toms suffer a lot compared to the IT01. They sound very thin and because of the overall speed of the Tape, they don't really fill out the sound with reverb, perhaps the decay is a bit too short.

Well, sorry for the length, just thought this might help someone who's considering coming to these from the same set that I have. I always find that the direct comparisons help the most. I'm gonna keep experimenting and trying to get an easier fit with them or whatever. Overall, extreme potential but still a bit of a struggle. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #1,164 of 3,872
Is there any degradation in term sound quality ? (Less bass/ treable/bright).. had tried to combo it with trn bt20s but seem not too good...

Hmmm.....I think this is not only a question of combination but also a question of general sound quality/characteristics of bluetooth devices, in this case BTR5, what codec you use and what wired source you compare it to.

As with any bluetooth source, I feel sound characteristics (no matter what earphones you use) slightly change with BTR5 -compared to wired . Though, I must say BTR5 is very good in not changing the sound so much. Usually there is noticeably less treble with bluetooth devices, but BTR5 is doing very well in this regard. If there is any difference between BTR5 and my (wired) iPhone (AAC), for example, I`d say mids/voices play slightly more in the foreground and sound is slightly fuller and wider with the iPhone. But the differences are really subtle and me, personally, I don`t care so much as I long I like the signature of the earphone.
But....I also have the XDSD and I like the Tape`s sound out if it even more (both wired and BT), because the XDSD has a little warmer signature that balances out its peaky treble more. So I`d say warm sounding devices suit the Tape especially well. But I guess that is a question of taste and again, we are talking about minor differences!

Hope I could help...have a nice day!

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #1,165 of 3,872
Jan 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,166 of 3,872
Order or not to order? I ask myself, if the singer has the same amount of detail retrieval of the tape, a faster bass because of the lower mass (because the lower size (8mm)) of the diaphram of the dd driver and if they fixed the upper mid peak.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,167 of 3,872
Well the Final Audio E5000 has 6.4mm dynamic drivers and can move more air than much of the competition due to how they made the casing.

Jan 3, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #1,168 of 3,872
I think you should wai Tape 2.0 they know Tape issues and they are working on

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #1,169 of 3,872
Well, I will be sending my 2nd Tape back to Amazon, because of the same problems I had with previous one.

This time it only took one week and the right earpiece started sound muffled after ca. 2hr of listening. Happened 4 times already in the last 2 days.
I guess it's because of moisture and pressure buildup in the shell, since it looks like Tape cant properly vent while it's in ears (there is only one air vent/hole on the inner side of iem and it's blocked by the ear. So they don't work well for long hearing sessions.)
After letting them "rest" (dry?) they work again, but its annoying as F... It's my only IEM that does that.
Also the right driver now started sizzling/hissing on high notes (elec guitars and etc.), but not always :/. Both drivers play at the same volume so far (one driver of my last tape played at 50% volume than the other one).
Hopefully they fix this mess with v2.0.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,170 of 3,872
I am so happy that my tapes run like expected.. got a new hyper killer "thick Copper with a whole silver cable plated on" cable that makes them rumble but keeps their excelling treble.. i love them

but totally hate those crappy super short nozzle things.. put tips on and they fall out of your ears (i will order me O-rings.. you can bet on this).. and dekoni foam sounds like a paralyzed hooker on Valium... not so excelling ... no :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back