Shuoer impressions thread
Jul 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,736 of 3,872
I'll say, you are right. Mine can play but it is way down volume wise.
God Bless,
Wayne
Sorry you continue not getting the best out of it - did you mean 200hz or 20? I think 20hz is the very minimum not many can hear, it won’t be loud right

Does it play loud 200hz? I will try play my set (07) around that to see how loud it produces (or not)

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,737 of 3,872
Hi Spa03,
Good to hear from you again. 20 Hz. 200 Hz is fine. When I look at the FR graphs floating around, I have attached what is supposed to be my own set, it would seem that there is plenty of energy to hear at 20 Hz. I THJNK that far left side is 20 Hz isn't it? And IF so, it looks like as much energy as anywhere. And redrol says he has got it. Not my set.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne

Attachments

• my ciems tuning FR.jpg
    my ciems tuning FR.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #3,738 of 3,872
Hi Spa03,
Good to hear from you again. 20 Hz. 200 Hz is fine. When I look at the FR graphs floating around, I have attached what is supposed to be my own set, it would seem that there is plenty of energy to hear at 20 Hz. I THJNK that far left side is 20 Hz isn't it? And IF so, it looks like as much energy as anywhere. And redrol says he has got it. Not my set.
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne
What are you guy's listening to Car Sub Test Disks? Tone generators? Just curious 😁

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,739 of 3,872
Hi Spa03,
All the best, God Bless,
Wayne
Hey Wayne, I think the energy is defi there but only coupler (machines) can measure those… as we ageing (I’m too), our ability to hear low end or high end both decrease such that I can only listen 16k now (not sure if due to long vol scaling on 07). Some with trained ears can hear better for sure.

Also, one fun fact, we humans evolved to ignore anything 20hz or below as anything lower is matching our own heart beats and let’s be honest that would be super annoying right :)

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #3,740 of 3,872
Hello. I don’t want to be a fanboy, only curious. I’ve made a quick non-rigorous test with 07 and 07m (both universal) and a tone generator, starting at 100 hz and lowering down to 20 hz (and a bit below) For my ears they mantain the volume. I did the same test with softears rsv and I hear a small subbass rolloff (not with the shuoers).
I say it just for comparison and I only wish that each one of us finds the IEM that makes us happy.
Best regards.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #3,741 of 3,872
Using Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone demonstration disc, I was able to confirm that almost nothing can be heard from the EJ07mKLs at 20 Hz. A Lot more can be heard from my Eartech Music Quads and Hexes at 20 Hz. I know that is not very scientific but it tells me something.
And guys, I am not trying to stir any crap around, I just have been waiting so long for NFL football to start, they are in training camps now, but the wait is still too long. Going nuts here. So take it for what it is worth.
God Bless,
Wayne

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,742 of 3,872
Just some observations and the reason I tune my subwoofers to 27hz in a 3rd order enclosures.

There is literally no music recorded that low.!

Some pipe organ music that's all. At 27hz at least it get some slight help for the lowest of the lower octaves but let's stop beating a dead horse about what can and can't play 20hz.

A quick google search-
"For example, the fundamental of an acoustic kick is in the 40 – 80 Hz range, while electric bass fundamentals extend up to almost 400 Hz. You may choose to boost the kick drum EQ with a relatively tight band around 50 Hz, and cut gently in the 100 to 250 Hz range."

" The frequency range of the bass and drums overlaps in the low frequency range through the low midrange. The attack of the bass is heard between 700 – 1000Hz, while the attack of the kick drum presents information at 3000 to 4000Hz."

Here they are talking about second and third order harmonics and how this translates to the audible presentation.

Same as 15k and beyond most people over 40 have a hard time hearing anything that high but with drivers like EST that can play 25kz this also translates into the lower 2&3rd octaves and changes or adds to the lower spectrum of what we can hear and thus changing the overall tonality of the complete transducer package.

Just listen to the music and enjoy. Details are in the enjoyment not the specifications.

My 2* Cheers J

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #3,743 of 3,872
Just a quick observation for the Deaf Monk above.
The sustained pedal note on the organ that begins Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra is a double low C at 16 Hz.
My SVS Ultra 16 sub can play it and we don't want to miss any of the music around my house.
So I do take exception to your statement that there is no music down there. That said, I get your point.
BUT what I really want to know if somebody can help me, is
Why do the FR graphs show the response of an iem like the Shuoer or many others as having a significant (just as loud as any other frequency on the graph) energy at 20 Hz when they don't?:
God Bless,
Wayne

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,744 of 3,872
Just a quick observation for the Deaf Monk above.
The sustained pedal note on the organ that begins Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra is a double low C at 16 Hz.
My SVS Ultra 16 sub can play it and we don't want to miss any of the music around my house.
So I do take exception to your statement that there is no music down there. That said, I get your point.
BUT what I really want to know if somebody can help me, is
Why do the FR graphs show the response of an iem like the Shuoer or many others as having a significant (just as loud as any other frequency on the graph) energy at 20 Hz when they don't?:
God Bless,
Wayne
Wait, is an organ lower than a piano?

This chart of frequencies has the lowest note on an 88 key piano as A0 Double Pedal A/A.. sub-contra-octave at 27.5 Hz

1658852782917.png

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3,745 of 3,872
Ahh, found this chart which does show organ frequencies down to that C at 16 Hz

https://www.zytrax.com/tech/audio/audio.html

For what it’s worth they do say this:

“Audiophiles are supposed to be able to hear above 20KHz - or perhaps they only think they can. Over the age of 50 (some research suggests it may be even lower than that) most people are limited to a range of ~50 Hz to 15/16 kHz.”

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #3,747 of 3,872
So now you guys are saying I just can't hear that low? The old guy can't hear?
I can hear 20 Hz, I just can't remember that I heard it!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
To clarify, I wasn’t saying that, i just included it because it stood out to me when I found that page confirming the frequency range of the organ (it does sound like that’s the only instrument that goes that low)

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,748 of 3,872
To clarify, I wasn’t saying that, i just included it because it stood out to me when I found that page confirming the frequency range of the organ (it does sound like that’s the only instrument that goes that low)

Just some observations and the reason I tune my subwoofers to 27hz in a 3rd order enclosures.

There is literally no music recorded that low.!

Some pipe organ music that's all. At 27hz at least it get some slight help for the lowest of the lower octaves but let's stop beating a dead horse about what can and can't play 20hz.

A quick google search-
"For example, the fundamental of an acoustic kick is in the 40 – 80 Hz range, while electric bass fundamentals extend up to almost 400 Hz. You may choose to boost the kick drum EQ with a relatively tight band around 50 Hz, and cut gently in the 100 to 250 Hz range."

" The frequency range of the bass and drums overlaps in the low frequency range through the low midrange. The attack of the bass is heard between 700 – 1000Hz, while the attack of the kick drum presents information at 3000 to 4000Hz."

Here they are talking about second and third order harmonics and how this translates to the audible presentation.

Same as 15k and beyond most people over 40 have a hard time hearing anything that high but with drivers like EST that can play 25kz this also translates into the lower 2&3rd octaves and changes or adds to the lower spectrum of what we can hear and thus changing the overall tonality of the complete transducer package.

Just listen to the music and enjoy. Details are in the enjoyment not the specifications.

My 2* Cheers J
Pls see the attached graph. The way I read that is that the iem in question (could have used a dozen other graphs) plays as loudly at 20 Hz as it does at any other frequency, give or take a dB or two.
Thanks for any insight, God Bless,
Wayne

Attachments

• graph of HBB ej07m.png
    graph of HBB ej07m.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #3,749 of 3,872
Using Dr. Chesky's Ultimate Headphone demonstration disc, I was able to confirm that almost nothing can be heard from the EJ07mKLs at 20 Hz. A Lot more can be heard from my Eartech Music Quads and Hexes at 20 Hz.?
BBDAC61B-420D-41BD-A34D-5AC88D798966.jpeg
Is this the track you heard? I can hear it well to the end.
I don't doubt what you say and I'm sure that with your KL you can't hear 20hz and below. If your earphones weren't ciem, I'd tell you to change the tips, because if the frequency response graph is fine, it looks like a sealing problem. I've found in other thread this link to test the seal: https://www.sensaphonics.com/pages/audio-seal-test
Good luck!
Regards.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #3,750 of 3,872
Yeah Lizardos24, that track and the heart beat track, I have a great seal on my ciems, that is the reason I got custom, the Shuoer is almost inaudible although turned way up, the Eartech Music ciems I can hear fine, not loud but MUCH louder than the Shuoer.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back