Shuoer impressions thread
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #346 of 3,872
power metal? My guess is TRN v90. If you don't like them, try another pair since they're only $35. The new NX7 pro might be a good option too, although nobody had heard it yet....

I was looking at those but a few reviews say they have a recessed mid-range, and I breathe guitar solos so...
Also, after hearing the Tapes definitely want something with detail.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #347 of 3,872
Does anyone have the KXXS and the Tape that can give a short comparison?

I own both, and IMO the KXXS is alot more balanced in the overall spectrum.

Warmer and more neutral, even though its still quite V-shaped.

It really comes down to what signature you like, and what music you listen to.

The Tape for me, is sorely for analyzing, and listening to classical and some EDM.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #348 of 3,872
BTW, @MyPants, did you try the supplied cable on the Tape at all?
And if so did the connectors feel any better/more secure than your balanced cable?
The only connectors I've ever had any trouble with have been 2-pin, but that's at least partly because they're the only type I've owned!

I haven't. Given the record these are starting to develop, I really don't want to swap it frankly. I think I'm gonna get a 4.4 -> 3.5 adapter for low-power testing in the deep dive to avoid risking any damage. Really a shame that they seem to have cut this particular corner because it may end up being fatal to an otherwise great set of IEMs.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #349 of 3,872
I was looking at those but a few reviews say they have a recessed mid-range, and I breathe guitar solos so...
Also, after hearing the Tapes definitely want something with detail.

As a big fan of metal/ rock music. I can tell you the NX7 is absolutely superb for the genre. The NX7 mid range is not recessed. It aint forward but most certainly not recessed. the New Pro version will have 3 different tuning options but what they do have is excellent imagery and detail something you wouldn't expect at the sub $100 level. The new pro model is interesting as you can tune them to your liking. The Bass end is dual carbon nanotubes and is very quick. Guitars sound superb on the NX7.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #350 of 3,872
As a big fan of metal/ rock music. I can tell you the NX7 is absolutely superb for the genre. The NX7 mid range is not recessed. It aint forward but most certainly not recessed. the New Pro version will have 3 different tuning options but what they do have is excellent imagery and detail something you wouldn't expect at the sub $100 level. The new pro model is interesting as you can tune them to your liking. The Bass end is dual carbon nanotubes and is very quick. Guitars sound superb on the NX7.

Well damn, could get those and the V90s for the price of my borked Tape.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #351 of 3,872
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #352 of 3,872
Some of the negative reviews you saw was from a guy that used one bright arse source with the NX7 which doesnt do the phones justice. The pro version comes with a cable that optimizes the sound of the NX7 so the pro version is where it is at. I should get my pro version soon. Will post my thoughts about them on the NiceHCK thread.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #353 of 3,872
Some of the negative reviews you saw was from a guy that used one bright arse source with the NX7 which doesnt do the phones justice. The pro version comes with a cable that optimizes the sound of the NX7 so the pro version is where it is at. I should get my pro version soon. Will post my thoughts about them on the NiceHCK thread.
Link to the pro version please.

Nov 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #355 of 3,872
What happened to your tape?

Don't know. Right side started making popping noises and now there's a massive channel imbalance that makes them unlistenable. Worked good for the first day.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #357 of 3,872
Are you sure they are in securely? Mine were in pretty tight and didn't rotate at all.

I've tried everything I could think of fiddling with the cable/connections. The right driver still plays at half volume no matter how I plug it in.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #358 of 3,872
Are you sure they are in securely? Mine were in pretty tight and didn't rotate at all.
How is that possible. Mine is bobbing around and sound is cut if I shift it just a little...

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #359 of 3,872
I've tried everything I could think of fiddling with the cable/connections. The right driver still plays at half volume no matter how I plug it in.

How is that possible. Mine is bobbing around and sound is cut if I shift it just a little...

I would have taken a video if I hadn't returned them last night. They were pretty tight on each phone when trying to remove the cables.
I never experienced anything like the sound cutting off.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #360 of 3,872
Got my Tape delivered from aliexpress about 3 weeks ago. Think i am one of the earliest paying customer to receive it apart from those reviewer sets. My stock cable has an extremely loose right side mmcx connector which causes the right driver to swivel around freely. I have a pair of bgvp dmg and i tested the Tape's cable on the dmg and indeed the same loose connection problem exists. I then tried the dmg cable onto the Tape and it was a much tighter fit on the right driver but you can still feel its not as tight as what a normal working mmcx connection should be. Sound would occasionally cut out from the right side driver if i tug onto the cable. Thought maybe i was just unlucky to get a defective cable but judging from the amount of similar complaints in this thread, its quite apparent they have a QC problem. Funny how it seems none of the reviewers and their review units encounter this problem but paying customers are popping up one after another with similar issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back