Shozy Zero IEMs
May 19, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #781 of 1,545
pillows-fighting-702x336.jpg

May 19, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #782 of 1,545
I'm trying to get another friend to buy Zero but they don't spend anything less than $1k per IEM, like dropping to this level is unspeakable or just not morally correct. (well I think they feel that way). We've assured them Zero is the real deal but, nope.

I'll keep trying...

May 19, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #786 of 1,545
I'm trying to get another friend to buy Zero but they don't spend anything less than $1k per IEM, like dropping to this level is unspeakable or just not morally correct. (well I think they feel that way). We've assured them Zero is the real deal but, nope.

I'll keep trying...

A need for tying someone down S&M style and putting IEMs in their ears?
ph34r.gif

May 19, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #789 of 1,545
So I got my replacement Zero today so I was able to compare a brand new unit to a burned in unit. It was interesting to say the least.

The burned in unit had noticeably more bass while the new one sounded brighter. So there might be some credence to the theory that bass gets stronger with more use? My first unit had more boomy bass, and now i see why people would say it has relatively balanced bass, when listening to the new unit.

Seeing as how these are all "beta" units perhaps its just unit variation. I will continue the two again after i put some hours on this unit to see if it indeed does get bassier. But yeah I don't think burn in makes the bass become less lol

May 19, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #790 of 1,545
Context: Charles from Shozy had reached out to me previously to have my take on the Zero. We met up when he was In Singapore for coffee. He explained to me the aim of the Zero and the target audience of the IEMs which gives them the nice context for me.

I have now burnt them in for about 50-60 hours. I am currently giving them a listen on my Tera Player.

The overall sonic signature is nice & musical. No one would ever accuse the Zero of being sterile sounding. I am listening the first album which is a mandarin album from China by Nobelium Said. The trebles are generally smooth and nicely extended. The bass is nice with the characteristic slower decay of a DD. The mids are finely balanced between too forward and too recessed. Of course if you are used to the more commonly mids forward sonic sig, you may wish for a more forward sig. The instrument separation are pretty good and the timbre of the strings are good. This is no wham bang IEM where the parts are thrown together with no further thought.

Next, I listened to one of Teresa Teng's silver ring CDs on the LPG. These CDs are coveted for their clarity and details. Of course, the flip side is that in many a setup, the sound may lean towards bright and even shrill. In this combo, this sounds very nice and non-fatiguing. I next moved on to Taylor Swift's Clean from her 1989 album, but in 24 bit. This song has a persistent and consistent deep bass line. Whilst the Zero handled the song competently, perhaps the sense of the bass was not as visceral as some of my other IEMs. But then again those IEMs are TOTL by any measure. In that sense, I think the Zero has acquitted itself very well.

When I was having coffee with Charles, he had suggested I try the Zero with my iPhone 6 Plus. I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded more spacious and encompassing. Today I'm trying it out with Strangelove from Depeche Mode. The Zero does very well to keep pace with the song as well present the layers of the various instruments and synthesizers while maintaining the bass line nicely. It doesn't miss a beat when I moved to Naked Eyes' Always Something There to Remind Me.

What do I think of the Zero? Well, I get what the Zero is targetted at: the average commuter listening out of their smartphone and the desire to lift his listening experience without leaving his wallet feeling winded by the prices being asked for by some of the unexceptional IEMs out there. If that be the aim, then Charles and his colleagues at Shozy ought to be commended for an excellent effort at lifting the bar of what to expect for US$50. And they have indeed raised the bar. :)

Two points I should make, if there is still scope for changes at this stage: firstly, the lettering for L and R is not quite as visible as it may be for old eyes like mine. Perhaps a simple red dot or a raised dot suffices. Secondly, I believe I am using the L ear tips which I found a little small and sometimes finicky to get a good seal with. Of course, I would appreciate the point that the price point at which it is offered doesn't permit better ear tips. I would therefore suggest that anyone listening to these may ponder switching out to your favourite brand of ear tips.

Summing up, while I don't think anyone should pretend that the Zero will eat the top end IEMs for lunch, it is an excellent IEM in its own right and a steal at its price point. :)

May 19, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #791 of 1,545
are the ones sold by 
SHENZHENAUDIO​
 new batch or beta?

May 20, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #794 of 1,545
Must have at least 60-80hours of listening time on my Zeros so far and using the widest bore silicons that came with the Shozys , was wearing them today while driving and was struck by how much Im enjoying them .. more than any other! noticing subtle improvements in seperation and clarity as they burn in on my ears. Another big bonus is the comfort and lightness of them , hardly aware anything is in my ears makes their sound an even more impressive in head musical pleasure. The out of head A83s, soundstage IE80s , Tennmak Pros and the brilliant little 808s continue to dangle in office wardrobe along with less impressive stepping stones.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back