Show us your vintage headphones!
Jul 6, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #3,001 of 3,129
Sony DR-S100 武道館 Boodo Khan
Another closed back that far outshines the K340

_DSC9397.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #3,004 of 3,129
I have a pair of EAH-80E (I think the 'E' is for European Market, and the 'A' American?), but look exactly the same as the EAH-80A, down to the box. Mine were also in mint condition which is always nice for Electrets.

I think they are very good. They weren't at first but after some warming (a good 8+ hours), and amped properly (very important!) they really came alive and stand out. Usual Electret characteristics apply, crystal clear crisp mids and highs, but their best quality is an awesome 3D imaging with great instrument seperation (and I mean good). Bass is 'good', tight/well controlled, goes low, but a little bit aneamic in the body department (as with most electrets other than the ECR-500 I find). Better than most electret bass I have heard and probably fine for most people, but personally I prefer a bit more body. Bass drums have some nice 'slam' though.

Headphones themseleves feel very light weight, slightly flimsy and the ear pads, while not terrible, would be the first thing I would change (in fact I might do that). Cups feel cheapish as the material is quite thin metal, not uncomfortable over time (probably due to their weight) but give me the same feeling on my head as those cheap ear defenders you sometimes wear on a building sites (if you know what I mean).

They wouldn't dethrone my ECR-500's due to lack of bass body, but their imaging and clarity in some sceanrios could tbh. Although if different earpads improve the bass body but retain the sound stage, they might :wink:. Mids feel oddly more forward and bodied than the ECR-500, but has an almost surreal sound stage comapred (some 'layers' don't feel quite as 'wide', yet others feel 'wider'... if you know what I mean).

Overall I would say the EAH-80E's are definately some of the better Electrets I have heard over my time.

Got to say I paid a lot less for mine...
EAH80E.png

:frowning2: Market is so weird.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #3,005 of 3,129
MDR-SA5000.jpg
Sony MDR-SA5000, my 2nd headphone diving into this hobby, 1st being the HD-580 Precisions

I wish I never sold mine. They had such a unique sound signature. I've thought about getting a used pair but I doubt Sony sells the replacement pads anymore.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #3,006 of 3,129
I wish I never sold mine. They had such a unique sound signature. I've thought about getting a used pair but I doubt Sony sells the replacement pads anymore.
No they do not. Fortunately, the ear pads are leather, and only the back lip is pleather, which is the part that flakes off, but doesn't affect the sound.

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #3,008 of 3,129
Show us your t.....

Oh wait. Wrong forum.

Aug 10, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #3,009 of 3,129
Only the second time Ive seen one of these on eBay. ESS Heil AMT headphones.
2days left on bidding, currently $100. Im not that interested.
Oh come on. Not that interested? Each driver is separated into two section with longer folds and shorter for highs and lows. Lil folded paper accordion boxes to strap on your head. Paper driver so it's got to be organic sounding as a result. Siver grey and rectangular driver housing? - And a cable that you could tow a truck with!

Sub bass isn't really there but maybe the right pads would help, Biased towards a fast mid and top end. (under $200 is fair for being rare)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #3,014 of 3,129
okay guys see you in 30 years when i finally can post my 660 s2 here

580.jpg

I put the earliest (besides the "Made in germany" which seem like unicorn) Sennheiser 6-- driver (flatplate 580 black paper) into the 660S shell

so, the driver is vintage! Must be like 25+ years old.

Or I guess you can put the 660S2 driver in 580 shell to qualify

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #3,015 of 3,129
headphone_journey.jpg

Here's a pic of my collection, including my 2 earliest headphones: The Sony MDR-SA5000, which I showed before, and it's predecessor, the HD-580 Precisions.

Then came the DT-1990 Pro (after a disastrous DT-990 Pro experience of 2 weeks) followed by the Monoprice M1070, and a few months later the M1570.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back