Show us your vintage headphones!
May 29, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #2,896 of 3,128
Yes, I have. I have one. Not in the TOTL group, strong lows, but not so exciting otherwise. I'm not sure about your preferences, depends on what you seek, but I wouldn't buy a pair for more than $30-40. Also the MDR-94 might not be the best of the MDR series. I am interested too of course and I haven't heard one yet, but according to the not so much info I know about it, it wouldn't reach the level of the series from a half decade earlier (some of the M series for example.). If you need more info, PM me anytime. :)
I mean best of the MDR-** series (H・AIR).
MDR-CD* and MDR-M** are different series (H・AIR PRO MONITOR and H・AIR HI-FI, respectively)

These should be the top models of each generation of two-digit H・AIR:

Zeroth generation: MDR-80t, MDR-80ii (80ii features some improvements over the original, though the listed frequency range is the same)
First generation: MDR-51, 71 (identical aside from the presence of an in-line volume control)
Second generation: MDR-62
Third generation: there is no MDR-*3 line AFAIK
Fourth generation: MDR-94
Fifth generation: MDR-75 (in Japan; same as MDR-65 except for the cable), MDR-85 (outside Japan)

If I got anything wrong or you have anything to add I would appreciate your input.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #2,897 of 3,128
I mean best of the MDR-** series (H・AIR).
MDR-CD* and MDR-M** are different series (H・AIR PRO MONITOR and H・AIR HI-FI, respectively)

These should be the top models of each generation of two-digit H・AIR:

Zeroth generation: MDR-80t, MDR-80ii (80ii features some improvements over the original, though the listed frequency range is the same)
First generation: MDR-51, 71 (identical aside from the presence of an in-line volume control)
Second generation: MDR-62
Third generation: there is no MDR-*3 line AFAIK
Fourth generation: MDR-94
Fifth generation: MDR-75 (in Japan; same as MDR-65 except for the cable), MDR-85 (outside Japan)

If I got anything wrong or you have anything to add I would appreciate your input.
Oo OK. In this case the MDR-94 might take a higher place. I doubt it would beat the MDR-80 (T, II) in some aspects,
or the MDR-62, but it should be a nice set. What I heard about it is it has great bass, but not a good soundstage.

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #2,898 of 3,128
Oo OK. In this case the MDR-94 might take a higher place. I doubt it would beat the MDR-80 (T, II) in some aspects,
or the MDR-62, but it should be a nice set. What I heard about it is it has great bass, but not a good soundstage.
One question I've always wanted the answer to is whether any of the MDR-G and MDR-Q series have acceptable sound quality or if they all sound like trash.

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #2,900 of 3,128
Google would have told you that most antique dealers consider that vintage starts at 20 years old, and antique starts at 100.

There's an exception for IEMs, which become vintage after 6 months in an charred white oak barrel.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #2,903 of 3,128
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #2,905 of 3,128
Even if you order it for the same price, that should still be one tenth of the usual price :)
I had contact with the seller, purchased it and sent the money... which he later refunded.
I guess some rich collector made him an offer he couldn't refuse -_-

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #2,910 of 3,128
some vintage ATphoto_2022-07-08_00-03-03.jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure the Pro30 has nothing to do with AT..... but the visual resemblance is curious.... never noticed that before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back