Show us your vintage headphones!
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,821 of 3,128
T70 (250ohm) with EDT 1770 Velour Coolmax pads, is the best vocal "old" Tesla.
It looks cool with DT1770 Pro headband.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #2,823 of 3,128
Just got a pair of AKG K240 Sextett Cardan, what so important about these headphones? Also do these have variable impendence, because I don't understand why it had a badge that say 4 - 600ohm.
[url=https://imgur.com/fTSRHaq][/URL]
They're not necessarily 'important' as such, they just have a reputation for being a good 'gateway drug' for getting into vintage headphones.
Notably, they actually sound good and are comfortable 'out of the box', and many copies have stood the test of time since they are fairly robust studio headphones.
The sound is actually quite coloured, however it's mostly balanced with decent bass and treble extension, with emphasis in the 'right' places.

There reason why they might be considered important, is because they were the first and only headphone to ever feature 6 passive diaphragms in the baffle as part of the tuning design. Each passive diaphragm was the same size as the main active driver's diaphragm.
In later model/revisions these were replaced with various fibrous-sheet filters as AKG later aimed to tune towards a Diffuse Field curve, the K241 being the first headphone to ever be tuned with this 'standard' as the goal, so in that way, the K241 is actually a more important headphone historically.
( Coincidentally, Pioneer was doing something similar around the same time with their 'variable chamber' concept, which was essentially a passive corrugated 'ring-diaphragm' around the driver. In some ways, this was a better solution, but was limited to smaller scale on-ear headphones. )

"4-600 Ohms" in this case refers to the specifications of the amplifier you are plugging it into, as it should be able to handle loads up to 600ohms.
Back then, it would have been plugged into a speaker amp/AV-receiver with 2 different specifications for the rear speaker taps and the front headphone-out.
- The headphones drivers are rated 600 ohms.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,824 of 3,128
DR-Z6 beside it's sibling Wega variant.
The occasion demanded that I brush up on some low-key lighting techniques.
(I used a mirror to reflect some stray light to make the Sony logo glow.)

_DSC7112.jpg

I should probably make some desktop sized versions of this one :)
Untitled-1.jpg

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,828 of 3,128
I got a stereo 10k DR-631C but I still need to fashion out an adapter, unfortunately, I cannot remove the plug as they are those telephone plugs but they fit in a 6.3 socket, the only trouble is I don't have any decent 6.3 sockets~

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,829 of 3,128
When my one was still in one pieace, I loved the sound. It sounded like a fuller, wide, more detailed DT48. I actually brought another one~ Waiting for it to be delivered and maybe I can give some proper impressions.
Play with my Beyerdynaimc DT48 VarioCup these days, I agree with your comment "It (Elega DR-631) sounded like a fuller, wide, more detailed DT48".
Comparing these two monitor legends, DT48 sounds a bit metallic...

IMAG7087.jpg

IMAG7105.jpg

IMAG7107.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back